Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree cbreze, it's a great phone. I'm not saying to dump it now but in the future this experience will definitely influence my next phone/carrier decision.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I get this sucks, but everyone dumping their icons because of this? Why? is a bit of a knee jerk reaction IMO

I think I explained myself sufficiently.. If you are cool with paying full price for a phone that gets whacked a few weeks later then more power to you.. I am not! The Icon has been out what 8 months? To kill a phone that fast is nuts! Carriers should be required to carry a phone for a year minimum and offer updates for a minimum of 2 years,

In my case it had nothing to do with 8.1 and everything to do with $$$$..

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I think I explained myself sufficiently.. If you are cool with paying full price for a phone that gets whacked a few weeks later then more power to you.. I am not! The Icon has been out what 8 months? To kill a phone that fast is nuts! Carriers should be required to carry a phone for a year minimum and offer updates for a minimum of 2 years,

Raqball, I do not think anyone has an issue with your decision. In fact, if most of us received the benefit of the doubt from a Verizon manager (i.e. allowing return of the device after the 14 day window), we would thoroughly consider it. Regardless, it's tough to take anything seriously at the moment with this latest PR move.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site

My comment was more in general terms and not to anyone who recently purchased an icon. I'd feel slighted if I were you as well. I had my icon for six months from launch and I'd be keeping it even with this news if I hadn't gotten an M8. It's still an awesome phone regardless.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Raqball, I do not think anyone has an issue with your decision. In fact, if most of us received the benefit of the doubt from a Verizon manager (i.e. allowing return of the device after the 14 day window), we would thoroughly consider it. Regardless, it's tough to take anything seriously at the moment with this latest PR move.
I really wanted a few days to think it over and let this pan out.. Unfortunately he said he could only do it today and today only.. I was happy with 8.0 on my Icon and when 8.1 comes (retired or not I am sure the Icon will still get it) the Icon will be that much more awesome.

My sole issue was the retirement chatter. Buying a phone at full price that's discontinued as soon as you walk out the door (not really but you get the point) is a hard pill to swallow. I talked to the store manager twice and both times he made it clear the Icon was retired. Had it not been for him confirming this twice, I would have waited..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Sadly i dont think it means anything. Means they can't say

I knew I recognized it... here's what they said on FB in September when asked about Cyan/8.1: "Thanks for your continued patience. Please stay posted for details :)"

Yeah, just as substance-less now as then.

upnort

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Either a glimmer of hope or lack of communication. Go to the MS Site and it still has the Icon listed. Click the "Buy the Nokia Lumia Icon Now" link and it sends you to Verizon's website which of course doesn't have the phone.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I check the Verizon site and no Icon for sale, but the HTC 8x is still for sale, what is this telling me?
is Verizon having problems with the Icon , be it not enough sales or having to many returns from problems?
I have a 8x with the 8.1, and was thinking of upgrading to the Icon for the bigger screen, but I am not so sure I should.
So if Verizon not going to support the Icon what are the chances of it getting 8.1/Cyan without the developer program?
looks like it all comes down to supply and demand. not enough demand for the Icon, and there not going to support it.
if that is the case I will buy one off Ebay or Amazon

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I would think this news would drop the price on eBay and other places. Then put the DP on it and you've got an awesome phone. I had no issues running the DP as well as many others had no or only minor issues at all.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
WOW, don't know how to reply to this....besides, pretty pi$$ed off.

Now, the facts here are strait forward.
1. Verizon reps are quoted online saying "It's retired"
2. Verizon reps in stores are also quoting "it's retired"
3. It's not showing on their site any more in most areas (I know for sure, in CT or RI it is not showing).
4. Verizon's support for Windows Phone is questionable at best.
5. WPC says it's possible rumor but, 1,2,3 are kind of showing that it's not.

Till we have an official public word on this, it could be that....Like Indistinguishable said, maybe they are prepping new models with 8.1/Denim for release.....MAYBE. Personally, I am not sure, like the 8-ball, output cloudy !

The fact of the matter is, Windows Phone gets 18 months of support(quoted from the WP8 announcement), now if this is release from WP8, or when the phone is released is a different story. As I see it, Verizon OWES us at least Denim.

If it is coming back, cool, awesome but, it's hard to think unless there is a major problem or sales are really that bad because the iPhone 4s and the Samsung s4 are still for sale on their websites (never mind other older models).

All I know, if I don't have Denim on my ICON by Dec 1st, if no one else is going to do it, I will start a class action lawsuit on Verizon.

Enough is enough, we pay for a phone and expect a certain level of support for the device in product updates and if Verizon can not provide us with those updates for a 2 year period from release (contract terms), something NEEDS to be done about it....

Rockinroofer

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Just my two cents. To each his own.
I have 3 Icons running DP with resuming disease, intermittent wifi,& bluetooth and batteries that drain faster than my 2yr old 4s. Now the phone is retired, so I seriously doubt we will ever see anymore updates released by Verizon. What kind of message does this send to developers when the largest carrier dumps their flagship windows phone in less than a year. No Market! Writing is on the wall for Windows phone. I just don't see how it will ever become a viable option at this rate. Waiting till Dec if no update, Cyan or Denim then I will change phones. I do not want to support a company that won't support it's phones or OS.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I still think that Verizon is merely preparing to roll out Cyan... Three months later. The Icon cannot be "retired" right now...

Still, Verizon's lack of transparency through out this whole thing seals the deal on my move to AT&T in a few months at the end of my contract.

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Been keeping track of the developments all day from work (couldn't log in) and if true, this hurts my faith in WP greatly. It's a great OS, and has all the potential in the world, but for them to drop support of a "flagship" phone like this less than a year after launch is terrible. I love my Icon, but if it's not guaranteed support for even a year, then I can't invest in the WP ecosystem, at least not on Verizon.

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I hope Microsoft has some legal recourse if Verizon is more or less going out of their way to drive the nail in WP's coffin. There is no way they should be allowed to get away with this. It's been nothing but a giant middle finger since WP7 launched and we had to wait 6 months for the Trophy and I'm sick of the way they've treated me as a customer. If they weren't the only carrier that had service where I go to school, I would have been gone long ago. I don't even have an Icon but a 928 and if they're screwing over the flagship, what am I supposed to expect from my year and a half old model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234