Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I still think that Verizon is merely preparing to roll out Cyan... Three months later. The Icon cannot be "retired" right now...

Still, Verizon's lack of transparency through out this whole thing seals the deal on my move to AT&T in a few months at the end of my contract.

I really hope your right....Cyan is good but, as it was announced before they "retired" it, I expect Denim and PREY we get Windows 10 on a DP.....as I am sure at this point we wont get it from Verizon....even though it should be in the 18 month or 2 year period from release.

I would move to AT&T now but, I still have Unlimited data with Verizon...if AT&T would match it, I would move to them but otherwise, Verizon has me by the balls on this one. I will not go to a metered plan, as I use 6-10gb per month.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My parents and brother are on AT&T. I guess this is a sign that it's time for my daughter and I to join as well so we can get a great family plan. I'll bring our own ebay purchased 1520's and wait.

Now that Verizon (and Sprint) are on the iPhone bandwagon (no I don't hate iPhone's) they sure are giving the middle finger to those that were previously faithful.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I still think that Verizon is merely preparing to roll out Cyan... Three months later. The Icon cannot be "retired" right now...

Still, Verizon's lack of transparency through out this whole thing seals the deal on my move to AT&T in a few months at the end of my contract.

I hope you are right but imho I would be surprised if we got anything else from Verizon for the Icon and at this point frankly I don't expect much of anything from Verizon

I knew something was up when it was taking so long and without one word announced about the update for months, Verizon is slow as hell but not this slow

if Verizon gives no Cyan/Denim/etc. I guess it will be the DP is all we can expect because I don't know if Microsoft will or can release firmware updates for phones used on Verizon's Network

I have been with Verizon now for @ 8 years but I have definitely learned a valuable lesson with this whole Icon episode and will be moving to another carrier

Airlid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
It's all guesses and rumors at this point but if the phone is retired and vz is longer supporting it, does that break my two month old contract? I know it's wishful thinking but since I'm wishing for 8.1/ cyan/denim i might as well add it to the list. I really like my icon, this whole thing is just sad 😢

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Everyone keeps saying it's because of sales. What? There's just no way that the ATIV SE and 928 are selling better than the Icon right now. At least I find it unbelievable. There has to be another reason.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I feel so bad for you guys. I too refuse to believe the se and it's horrible design outsell the icon. The 928 maybe but that's questionable as well.

It doesn't help the icon owners presently but maybe there is a secret windows phone like the 1520 coming that we don't know about. A screwed up situation for this whole mess

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
if Verizon gives no Cyan/Denim/etc. I guess it will be the DP is all we can expect because I don't know if Microsoft will or can release firmware updates for phones used on Verizon's Network.

Why would they need to? The PFD updates aren't pushed by Verizon. They are updated from Microsoft over the Internet.

Actually, the bigger delay was the threat that if Microsoft tried to push Verizon around to get better WP support (updates and cross-carrier unified models) that Verizon would drop WP. Now that they have dropped the WP flagship device from their offering, Microsoft no longer has anything to lose.

I already have the phone, and with PFD I have 8.1. All I want is the firmware update, and Microsoft no longer has a reason not to offer it directly. Verizon was doing nothing anyway, so we are actually closer now to getting this update.

The big deal isn't now, its what do we do in 18 months when the Icon is old and slow and 16-core processors are the standard? All good things must come to an end, and at the end of the day Verizon has the best coverage. Switching carriers is simply not an option.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
It's Verizon, they're like the government. No reasons, it's just the way it is. FWIW, mine is running flawlessly on latest DP. It's a replacement to one that went awry with a lot of the known problems including phantom taps and swipes. At this point, if we don't get Cyan, I'll probably go with the HTC One. It's too bad but I'm more about WP than I am the hardware.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
One more thing... It would really suck if Verizon pulled the Icon because it was a phone with a limited market that generated a lot of complaints at the FCC.

Beware of the law of unintended consequences... I'm just saying.

Broad and Market

May 3, 2014
Visit site
They have until tomorrow at 4 to release further details and yes I am going to talk to the manager I bought it from. I signed up at the end of August so I'm on a metered data plan and everyone has good coverage here in Philly so if I'm going to be ignored it will be on t-mobile and if I'm going to pay a premium ill do it with at&t since both will pay my ETF.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They have until tomorrow at 4 to release further details and yes I am going to talk to the manager I bought it from. I signed up at the end of August so I'm on a metered data plan and everyone has good coverage here in Philly so if I'm going to be ignored it will be on t-mobile and if I'm going to pay a premium ill do it with at&t since both will pay my ETF.
Att pays etf?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It's Verizon, they're like the government. No reasons, it's just the way it is. FWIW, mine is running flawlessly on latest DP. It's a replacement to one that went awry with a lot of the known problems including phantom taps and swipes. At this point, if we don't get Cyan, I'll probably go with the HTC One. It's too bad but I'm more about WP than I am the hardware.
You should get the ativ se over the one. Now that there is no icon on Verizon I am pushing my friends to that phone. Samsung does slightly better with updates.

jonesyvoor

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
This is a punch in the gut. I literally just bought my Icon last night!

Windows Phone is like a girlfriend that I can't get over but yet it keeps hurting me every time I go back to it. After having an iPhone for years, I was so ready for a change and so intrigued by WP8 that I was one of the one's pre-ordering the Lumia 920 at 3am the night it came out.

With shame I admit that relationship only lasted six months due to the form factor and weight of the phone along with missing apps that proved to be a dealbreaker. I swore i wouldn't go back and eventually got an HTC One on Android. I liked, but didn't love the phone. However WP was in the rear view mirror and I never looked back.

Fast forward to last month. HTC One is on its last legs and I need a new phone. Considering both the new iPhone and also the Galaxy Note I didn't feel like waiting for either one so I bought the Galaxy S5. Several million people couldn't be wrong could they?

Well, I despise this piece of crap. I hate everything from it's cheap plastic casing to it's gross interface and color schemes. I'd only had it for 3 weeks and it already lagged trying to perform the most basic tasks. That's it, I needed a new phone. The bug to get another Windows Phone was eating me alive again.

On a whim i decided to try the Icon since my family has a line with Verizon and I got a pretty good deal to add it as a 2nd line. To my dismay I realized after i brought it home that it didn't have 8.1/Cyan and was so bummed. However despite that I used it as my primary phone today and fell in love with Windows Phone all over. The phone is gorgeous, although it's not heavy it has a certain heft in my hand that makes my Galaxy feel like a disposable camera. Even most of the apps that I thought were missing were now on the platform or had suitable 3rd party alternatives. I was all set to sell my Galaxy my ebay, eat the ETF and fall in love with WP again.

Now this. I feel like I just had my heart ripped out. I can't go to AT&T because I get no signal in my office. It's either Verizon or Sprint. The best Sprint phone appears to be Ativ (just like my Galaxy) and the other viable Verizon option is the HTC (which I just got rid of).

If this phone turns out to be unsupported i guess i'll have no choice but to take it back and hope that one of the CDMA carriers gets another flagship Windows Phone. It seem unlikely though.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I feel you pain, but I pulled the trigger on Sept 25 and TODAY is 14 days. It is "so AWESOME" that I just can not return it.

So ... for this thread ... I called Verizon CS and they said ... MANY phone get "retired" and he quoted a iPhone 4S and 5 series ...

That STILL GET "updates" form Apple !

So, is this Microsoft's fault with NO CYAN or $!&%R#$ Verizon?

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I was holding out on 8.0 on the off-chance they decided to update us to Cyan soon, but I'm highly tempted to just take the plunge on 8.1 PFD so I can at least get Word Flow and Cortana.

osumorris2315

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I just talked to Verizon tech support. They said they had retired the phone "it seemed". But he also said that even though the phone had been retired it would still receive future updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans