Official 8.1/Cyan for the Icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinAndTech

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Actually, if it is documented somewhere that MS promised 18 months of updates and Verizon is not providing those updates, may have a case.

I bought mine with cash and I can't, but someone in a contract may be able to. I mean, you were promised a service and neither provider of said service has provided. Now you are stuck with a device that does not meet your satisfaction and the promise was not kept. Sounds like a free phone or a way out of contract may be possible.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
It will never go anywhere. I will not sign because I know better.

The proposal I made above that reflects on the image of the company will show results. But none will probably band together because all we do is gripe nowadays and we don't put our gripes into action.

100 people posting on social networks each and every day for the world to see will do something. 500 people posting to a petition hidden from the public eye is not effecting them one way or the other.

It doesn't effect you one way or the other either. So just sign it?

sealuva

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Some of these posts are hilarious. The waiting game we are playing is not. I've had my Icon for about 3 days now and I love the thing. I was waiting and waiting to see if anything came out that would replace the Icon since it was out for so long and I read over and over about it not being updated which I found super odd. I pulled the trigger none the less and I don't regret it. Yes I would love to have the official update. I've upgraded it to the DP and it made an already awesome phone even better. Verizon will do what they want because they can. Their decision to not push this important update does hurt the consumer and even Microsoft to a certain degree who is trying to gain market share. They finally have a product that can not only compete with the other OS's but also out perform them. But of course with dated firmware you take a few steps back yet again. I'm clueless at this move. I'm going to keep enjoying my phone with the DP until some update comes out. I will also be putting the DP on my wife's 925 as well and hope they both get an official update. Ok...on with the wait....

Nokia Lumia Icon - white
Dell Venue 11 Pro

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if it is documented somewhere that MS promised 18 months of updates and Verizon is not providing those updates, may have a case.

I bought mine with cash and I can't, but someone in a contract may be able to. I mean, you were promised a service and neither provider of said service has provided. Now you are stuck with a device that does not meet your satisfaction and the promise was not kept. Sounds like a free phone or a way out of contract may be possible.

Now it was quoted from WP8 announcement that you would get support for 18 months but, the question on this is (and it was never answered 100%), Was this from Windows Phone release, or was it from each phone's released ?

Like I said a few pages back, As these were announced before Verizon decided to "retire" it, if I don't have Denim on my phone by Dec 1st, I will start (or will join if someone beats me to it) a class action lawsuit against Verizon Wireless.

Anyway about it, (I don't sign contracts), if you buy a phone for $500 plus, you EXPECT feature and system updates for at least 1-2 years (2 years is contract term in the US). The Phone has only been out for 6-7 months...not even a full year yet.

I do hope it's just a Cyan/Denim thing, AKA cleaning out old stock and brining it back with Cyan preinstalled on them with a new promo. At this point I can't count on that.

As a said a few pages back on TCMAN88, I question his posts even more, does he still work for Verizon ? Does he actually know anything here ? He said Cyan release a few days ago, we don't have Cyan yet and now the ICON is retired ? If he actually knew anything he could of hinted about something (not good is happening, etc)

Anyway about it, the rest is pretty much rumor, till we have an official corporate announcement from Verizon, we are just guessing at this point. I would not trust a CSR for any important facts...EVER.

WinAndTech

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyway about it, the rest is pretty much rumor, till we have an official corporate announcement from Verizon, we are just guessing at this point. I would not trust a CSR for any important facts...EVER.

I agree with everything you said. And please, post the class action so I and others can get in on it if it happens.

The thing is, Verizon has been way to silent about everything. They are doing a disjustice simply by keeping consumers in the dark. A little bit of good customer relations goes a long way. We do pay good money for service and it is crappy politics for Verizon to keep us in the dark. We would not have to assume the worst if they would just speak up.

Update or not, I have lost all respect for Verizon.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Now it was quoted from WP8 announcement that you would get support for 18 months but, the question on this is (and it was never answered 100%), Was this from Windows Phone release, or was it from each phone's released ?

Like I said a few pages back, As these were announced before Verizon decided to "retire" it, if I don't have Denim on my phone by Dec 1st, I will start (or will join if someone beats me to it) a class action lawsuit against Verizon Wireless.

Anyway about it, (I don't sign contracts), if you buy a phone for $500 plus, you EXPECT feature and system updates for at least 1-2 years (2 years is contract term in the US). The Phone has only been out for 6-7 months...not even a full year yet.

I do hope it's just a Cyan/Denim thing, AKA cleaning out old stock and brining it back with Cyan preinstalled on them with a new promo. At this point I can't count on that.

As a said a few pages back on TCMAN88, I question his posts even more, does he still work for Verizon ? Does he actually know anything here ? He said Cyan release a few days ago, we don't have Cyan yet and now the ICON is retired ? If he actually knew anything he could of hinted about something (not good is happening, etc)

My .02

Verizon would have been smart to release 8.1 before killing the Icon.. Now they rightfully have munity on their hands. Previously I was against filing FCC complaints ect over the lack of 8.1 but now, and if true that the Icon has been tossed into the recycling bin by Verizon then I am all for class action, FCC complaints et all.

As far as the TC guys goes, I have serious doubts about this users credibility.. An insider would have / should have know the Icon was getting axed.. I doubt this decision was made at the last second.

I feel for you all. I got lucky and was granted a return outside of my 14-days.. This is really beyond comprehension.. Axing a 7 month old flagship and failing to update it? Wow, just wow..

Verizon has to be clueless. If they had released 8.1 before killing it people probably still would be rightfully upset but to kill it without updating it? Mutiny on their hands...

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
What a turn of events this week. I don't know what to make of it all. I think the ICON is a solid phone with great hardware but there are some bugs in 8.1 that make the ICON frustrating to use for myself and others. What I would love to see Verizon do is offer a trade in program for the ICON for another similar phone since it's retired so soon after release. But we know that won't be happening so I'll give it til the end of the year to see where we ICON user stand and possibly go with the M8. Oh well.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. And please, post the class action so I and others can get in on it if it happens.

Class action? For what? Does Verizon really have a legal responsibility to give us firmware updates at all, let alone as quickly as we want them?

Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed that I don't have the Cyan update. But I don't remember anything in the Verizon literature promising that the OS or firmware would be updated. Microsoft and Nokia have made announcements, but that's different. Potentially, this situation could be resolved by Microsoft offering firmware updates under the PFD program, which we all know was established not just for developers but for tech-savvy consumers who were willing to update their phones themselves without the oversight of the carrier.

This certainly isn't good news for Microsoft or Windows Phone, but if you already own an Icon you don't have to worry about availability. You already have the phone. Naturally you would like to have the phone updated, but your relationship with Verizon (or any carrier) is ultimately for them to provide you connectivity to your device - not to provide upgrades. To Verizon, any phone works. If they could all be iPhones, it's much easier on them.

Personally, I believe that my Icon with WP 8.1 is the best phone I have ever owned. But Sony can tell you that the best product doesn't always win. I would like Cyan for camera improvements, BT 4.0 LE and miracast. If anyone owes me those features, it's Microsoft.

It could be that there is no longer any room in the cell phone business for a 3rd operating system. If that ends up being the case it's no one's fault other than Microsoft, who was first to market but took too long to get to the point where their OS was competitive.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
After taking a breath I am trying to look at this differently:

1) Maybe it's possible that Microsoft stopped production of the 929 to either build a updated/new phone or concentrate on their current phones and this really isn't Verizon's doing.
2) Verizon will reintroduce the Icon with 8.1 preinstalled and there will be a new SKU
3) The 735 and maybe an updated 830 will be introduced soon that they feel will be a better sell for them then the Icon. The 822 had double the memory then the other 8XX phones when it come out- Maybe Verizon's 830 will be updated.
4) I suspect 1-3 may be more likely because we have confirmed reports that Verizon intends to update their old HTC windows phones to 8.1, read comments by the editor here that the 735 is mostly confirmed for Verizon and Microsoft/Nokia's website still says the 8.1 is in testing for Verizon's WP8 phones not discontinued (like it says next to T-mobiles 810). I don't think Verison is getting rid of Windows phones.

It does stink and it is suspect since everyone has been on Verizon about Cyan for months and months and we have gotten no comments from either Verizon, Nokia, or Microsoft desipte all of them being directly asked about it. It is very strange but I'm trying to be positive.

Obsidial

May 14, 2014
Visit site
At this point I'd be OK with simply a statement from Verizon stating:

"Yes, we've retired the Icon, however we will provide software updates for the device thru 2015. We will be delivering Lumia Denim in Q4 2014"

All we really want is some communication from Verizon. We bought a flagship device and though legally Verizon owes us nothing besides service, we should really be treated better as customers.

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
bape5ejy.png

Just saw this

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
At this point I'd be OK with simply a statement from Verizon stating:

"Yes, we've retired the Icon, however we will provide software updates for the device thru 2015. We will be delivering Lumia Denim in Q4 2014"

All we really want is some communication from Verizon. We bought a flagship device and though legally Verizon owes us nothing besides service, we should really be treated better as customers.

How can one even top that?
Post that comment again and close the thread

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
even with the terrible way Verizon has handled (is handling) this whole episode with the Icon, my enthusiasm for windows phone has not diminished

I cannot see any circumstance in which I would want to switch back to Droid or buy one of the new flexible, hair ripping out iPhones :winktongue:

I just think I will be using a WP on another carrier

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
even with the terrible way Verizon has handled (is handling) this whole episode with the Icon, my enthusiasm for windows phone has not diminished

I cannot see any circumstance in which I would want to switch back to Droid or buy one of the new flexible, hair ripping out iPhones :winktongue:

I just think I will be using a WP on another carrier

the sony xperia z3 compact looks like the perfect phone for me, but I don't think its coming to the us. my Verizon contract ends in December, so i'll ride the waves till then.
this thread should take me all the way there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos