New ICON owner wanting to upgrade to DP8.1

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't do it, it over heats with location services turned on and lags. Wait for the official update to cyan.
Sent from my Verizon Icon

I don;t know about yours, but mine does not do that.

The most likely reason for the heat and lag, is some app you are running that is causing the issue.

I actually have 2, mine and my wife's Icon... neither phone lags or over heats.
Best you check your background apps and kill some.

As for Battery use,, I get a good day and a half out of it with mild to moderate use
For really heavy use, i get several hours
Is that a bad thing,, no, not really.

For the Hardware that the Icon runs,
I think it is about on par with every single phone I have ever used.
Old LG's, HTC Arrive and the Lumia 928.

Also, they did not suspend Dev Preview, you can still get it and it works just fine.
You will get GDR1 when it is released under Dev Preview
There is a whole lot more to WP8.1 than just looks, if you are not educated on it, you should not comment about it.

You MIGHT have to downgrade to get Cyan (LUMIA"S ONLY) due to they are blocking Dev Preview users from getting it due to BitLocker issues,, there is an Article on the front page all about it, people should read it.

Last edited:

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Mine runs very nicely as well. No overheating or lag.

Funny. The first day after the preview it was running really hot and the battery drained like mad. Now after a full charge and day two with 8.1 DP, its not running hot at all and i took my phone off my charger at about 10 am and my battery is at 71% love 8.1!!!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Best to wait, Cyan should not be to far off from Verizon and plus the Cyan rollout has been halted for those on Developer preview program. The Program itself has not been halted, evident by the fact DP users are getting Update 1 next week (confirmed by Joe Belfiore on twitter).

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I have the ICON. I've gone back and forth between 8.0 and 8.1 half a dozen times waiting for Verizon to release the "real" 8.1 & Cyan. Last night I said to hell with it. I upgraded to 8.1 again and now will stay with it. I can't believe that MS would be dumb enough to release the 8.1 early and then say "OOPS", we made a mistake. You have to flash back to 8.0 to get official 8.1 and Cyan.

That said, I'm sticking with 8.1 even if Cyan can't be loaded after the fact.

I get a little heat when using Cortano or any GPS program but otherwise, no problems. Love 8.1; don't want to look back now.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
By the time Verizon releases cyan I am hopeful that going back to 8.0 won't be required to get it.

It should not be required. That was the point of the delay was to fix the update for users with DP already installed. To me they should not have stopped the release for a few that had bitlocker installed. That was probably on 5% of total users that even had DP. If it were a company security issue then they should not have installed DP in the first place.

mikeyqp

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to give an update... I updated to 8.1dp .. And I must say the pros far outweigh the cons.. I'm getting equal battery life, no noticeable over heating (I don't normal turn location on), word flow, action center. It's now a much better experience!

BUDDYFUNLOVE

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Good to hear Mikey! I agree with you. Had my first super hot experience when running the navigator today, but not horribly concerning. I am never lost after all....i am a man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo