08-03-2014 10:21 PM
34 12
tools
    hello all, I recently got my ICON a week ago, and have been waiting for the official 8.1 update since. Obviously, I'm tired of waiting so i wanted to update via the developers preview. However after reading a few threads, I've become a bit hesitant to upgrade and I'm in need for a little reassurance lol. Here are my concerns:

1) battery life is said to be dramatically decreased

2) upgrading to the official 8.1 from 8.1dp would require downgrading to 8.0 via hard reset (I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff and it follows that that's a potential headache i would like to avoid)

3) 8.1dp is generally stable?

4) I had a couple more concerns, but Im drawing a blank right now =p

Lastly, are there any other pertinent steps, aside from the normal 8.1dp update procedure, that you guys think I should do before or after I upgrade?
    07-31-2014 07:59 PM
    I thought Icon came with 8.1?
    07-31-2014 08:10 PM
    1)yes
    2)maybe
    3)yes
    07-31-2014 08:12 PM
    I thought Icon came with 8.1?
    930 did not Icon
    07-31-2014 08:18 PM
    Didn't MS just recently temporarily suspend the Developer Preview program?
    07-31-2014 08:19 PM
    930 did not Icon

Ooh thanks for clearing that up
    07-31-2014 08:20 PM
    Didn't MS just recently temporarily suspend the Developer Preview program?
    I hope not! Lol I haven't upgraded yet.. And I'm in dire need of that notification center and the swype counterpart
    07-31-2014 08:26 PM
    1)yes
    2)maybe
    3)yes
    how bad of a drop off is it? Does the benefit of the upgrade outweigh the battery life loss?
    07-31-2014 08:29 PM
    how bad of a drop off is it? Does the benefit of the upgrade outweigh the battery life loss?
    it does for me. I usually still have 50% at the end of the day.
    jedge likes this.
    07-31-2014 09:13 PM
    Don't do it, it over heats with location services turned on and lags. Wait for the official update to cyan.
    Sent from my Verizon Icon
    07-31-2014 09:19 PM
    Don't do it, it over heats with location services turned on and lags. Wait for the official update to cyan.
    ehhh... From the looks of it, we don't even know if the update is soon. It could be in a month or two. Kind of frustrating.
    07-31-2014 09:26 PM
    I hope not! Lol I haven't upgraded yet.. And I'm in dire need of that notification center and the swype counterpart
    No i can attest that they didn't. I just updated to it tonight. Battery is down a bit more than usual but i think it's because of all the back end updating its doing, need to sign into all my apps and what not. I do notice tha the phone is getting super hot like others have stated and my wifi signal has dropped pretty significantly. All in all though? totally worth it. It's so much nicer, even with the faults. Who knows how much longer Verizon will hold out for official release.
    jedge and mikeyqp like this.
    07-31-2014 09:33 PM
    Did u hard reset before upgrading, or anything like that? I read it could help with battery life.

And does upgrading erase all your data and apps?
    07-31-2014 09:55 PM
    Did u hard reset before upgrading, or anything like that? I read it could help with battery life.

And does upgrading erase all your data and apps?
    I did a soft reset. And no updating to the preview doesn't touch anything, just adds new things!
    07-31-2014 10:13 PM
    And holy cow...like instantly after turning location services off, my phone cooled down a lot. that's unfortunate considering Cortana uses location services
    07-31-2014 10:14 PM
    My point, why bother if it over heats and you can't use Cortana. The other stuff in 8.1 isn't that big a deal. I can wait. Had it on my icon, lag was horrible.
    08-01-2014 04:10 PM
    The Icon is stable with 8.1 on board.
    The Icon can develop a wakeup delay - mine did. It can take anything from no time to 3-4 seconds for your phone to wake.
    Right now the only fix for the wakeup delay is to reflash back to 8.0.
    I suspect the wakeup delay is due to the lack of Cyan firmware.
    Not everyone has wakeup delay. I did not for a while. Then it started and never went away until I went back to 8.0, which is where I am staying until Cyan ond official release.
    Other WP do not suffer this delay. I have a 928 and HTC 8x, both of which run 8.1 flawlessly.

So, will it work? Yes. Will it develop oddities that annoy? Very possibly. Is it worth a shot? Sure, if you are prepared to either risk having to tolerate a delay or flash back to 8.0. Going back is not hard using the Nokia commercial updater on your PC. It's just time consuming and you have to reload all your apps.
    08-01-2014 04:34 PM
    Mine actually had lag using apps and switching programs. Not bad, but annoying. The biggie for me was how hot it got with location services on. Be driving down the road a think my pocket was gonna burst into flames.
    08-01-2014 06:21 PM
    My point, why bother if it over heats and you can't use Cortana. The other stuff in 8.1 isn't that big a deal. I can wait. Had it on my icon, lag was horrible.
    I have the Icon with DP and Cortana works fine with locations on... No heating issues... Gets warm when using HereDrive but every phone does. Also have not seen any lag like I did on my 928. Way better upgrade.
    08-01-2014 07:52 PM
    Mikey IMHO I would say better off waiting. It is not that far off when you cann get official update in a bit why have that extra headache going DP then Flash back to Black then update to 8.1

Same holds for GDR1 then again GDR1 is likey to be an OS update only and not Firmware update
    Hope I have persuaded you to be patient ;)
    08-01-2014 08:24 PM
    I don;t know about yours, but mine does not do that.

The most likely reason for the heat and lag, is some app you are running that is causing the issue.

I actually have 2, mine and my wife's Icon... neither phone lags or over heats.
    Best you check your background apps and kill some.

As for Battery use,, I get a good day and a half out of it with mild to moderate use
    For really heavy use, i get several hours
    Is that a bad thing,, no, not really.

For the Hardware that the Icon runs,
    I think it is about on par with every single phone I have ever used.
    Old LG's, HTC Arrive and the Lumia 928.

Also, they did not suspend Dev Preview, you can still get it and it works just fine.
    You will get GDR1 when it is released under Dev Preview
    There is a whole lot more to WP8.1 than just looks, if you are not educated on it, you should not comment about it.

You MIGHT have to downgrade to get Cyan (LUMIA"S ONLY) due to they are blocking Dev Preview users from getting it due to BitLocker issues,, there is an Article on the front page all about it, people should read it.
    Last edited by Tepid; 08-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    08-01-2014 08:49 PM
    Mine runs very nicely as well. No overheating or lag.
    08-01-2014 08:55 PM
    Mine runs very nicely as well. No overheating or lag.
    Funny. The first day after the preview it was running really hot and the battery drained like mad. Now after a full charge and day two with 8.1 DP, its not running hot at all and i took my phone off my charger at about 10 am and my battery is at 71% love 8.1!!!
    08-01-2014 09:48 PM
    Best to wait, Cyan should not be to far off from Verizon and plus the Cyan rollout has been halted for those on Developer preview program. The Program itself has not been halted, evident by the fact DP users are getting Update 1 next week (confirmed by Joe Belfiore on twitter).
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 08-01-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Edit: Wordflow fail - Changed tweeter to twitter LOL
    08-01-2014 10:11 PM
    Have been running 8.1 on my Icon for a couple of weeks with no problems. It works great for me
    Kasey Pierce likes this.
    08-02-2014 07:07 AM
34 12