Icon and Quick Charge 2.0

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea, that is a newly announced standard of QI charging 1.2....I'm sure the ICON does not support it...( will be compatible but, not in the 1.2 standard, so it falls back to the current standard)
It is backward compatible. You wont get as much range as a new one but there isn't much difference it is still a big increase on difference. Not an opinion, has been confirmed.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It is backward compatible. You wont get as much range as a new one but there isn't much difference it is still a big increase on difference. Not an opinion, has been confirmed.

Yea, time to get a new phone, as the new chargers can go a range, so that means I can put it inside devices with out cutting out the bottom of my nightstand or office desk...

but, dam, I just got the ICON....wtf ? :(

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Yea, time to get a new phone, as the new chargers can go a range, so that means I can put it inside devices with out cutting out the bottom of my nightstand or office desk...

but, dam, I just got the ICON....wtf ? :(
Look at the range it designates for backward compatibility it is still very generous and should allow you to do this with the icon.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
It actually does mean that. That is the point of the update. After it as long as you have an 800 or newer chip it will work.
I have a Nexus 5 and it also uses a Snapdragon 800 chip but doesn't support quick charge because Google opted to use a Texas BQ24192 chip for battery charging and power path management, which does not work with Qualcomm's quick charge.

So it also depends on what chip Nokia used for charging, it isn't just dependent on the chip.

But Google probably choose a cheaper chip for battery to keep the price low, it's likely Lumia 930 and 1520 will have this feature since they are high-end devices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
So, Does anyone know where I can get a 2.0 charger?

I also was interested in finding some of these and the info I found was here about the QC 2.0 certified devices available now, but many of the products don't seem to be available yet or you have to get them shipped from overseas for a premium price

?Superior Communications Puregear Wall Charger
?NTT DOCOMO AC Adapter 05
?KDDI AU AC Adapter 05
?Xiaomi MDY-3-EB
?Dongguan Aohai Power Technology A58-502000
?Power Partners AC Adapter (PEAW30-12-USB)
?Magnadyne Powermod Wall Charger (TCUSB-QC20PMD)
?Superior Communications Puregear Car Charger (05821PG)
? Incipio Single Port USB Car Charger (PW-203)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Reviving this thread, just because I bought this charger: Amazon.com: 18W USB Universal AC Wall Adaptive Fast Charger Qualcomm? Quick ChargeTM 2.0 - Galaxy S6 Note 4 HTC One M8 Xperia Z3 Z4 Tablet Droid Turbo Nexus 6 etc: Cell Phones & Accessories

I wasn't sure if it would work with my Icon, because I can't find a single mention of it in Qualcomm's official documents or anywhere else (a quick Bing search on yielded this thread), even though the Snapdragon 800 processor is supposed to have QC 2.0.

Anyway, I get a much faster charge on my Icon with this charger, went from 28% to 67% just now in a little over half an hour (the app "Battery" said a charging rate of 64%/hour), so this adapter definitely gives the charging a boost... but is QC 2.0 supposed to be fast than that? Is there a way to check if QC 2.0 is being used?

EDIT: do'h, just as I sent this, I saw there's an indicator light on the actual charger that is supposed to be green when QC 2.0 is used. It is Blue, so the Icon does NOT have the capability for QC 2.0. Bummer. :/

Last edited:

gmantione

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
FINALLY, some sort of solid proof about this lol... I'm kind of upset about not having it when we were told the SD800 should be compatible. Who would release the update to allow it, Verizon or Microsoft? I just bought two QC 2.0 chargers for mine, and noticed very little if any difference between these and the Nokia charger that came with the phone.

Does anyone know whether the cable can effect charge rate? I noticed that the QC2.0 car adapter I got is actually SLOWER than my previous car charger. I also broke my old cable and needed a new one. I replaced them both at the same time and now I cant figure out what is causing the decreased charge rate

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
FINALLY, some sort of solid proof about this lol... I'm kind of upset about not having it when we were told the SD800 should be compatible. Who would release the update to allow it, Verizon or Microsoft? I just bought two QC 2.0 chargers for mine, and noticed very little if any difference between these and the Nokia charger that came with the phone.

Does anyone know whether the cable can effect charge rate? I noticed that the QC2.0 car adapter I got is actually SLOWER than my previous car charger. I also broke my old cable and needed a new one. I replaced them both at the same time and now I cant figure out what is causing the decreased charge rate

Supposedly the charging cable has to be able to carry data to take advantage of QC 2.0, but maybe it also makes a difference with regular charging on such a device, and the car charger isn't "smart" enough for whatever reason?

I agree that it's a bummer that the Icon isn't QC2.0 compatible. It's not like I can't live without QC 2.0, I just bought that one to try it because I needed a wall charger with higher output than my PC USB port, and it delivers. But it sure would be nice to be able to get another few percent of battery life in quickly sometimes. I would be shocked if any more firmware will ever be released for Lumia Icon that will enable it, though.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb