Icon and Quick Charge 2.0

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

8.1 GDR1 Enables it. My question is, is the Icon Compatible?

It is listed as a feature in this article.

Microsoft reveals Update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1, due next week for Preview users | Windows Phone Central

"Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 support for Snapdragon 800 processor is included, letting Windows Phone users with the appropriate chipset take advantage Qualcomm's rapid, high voltage USB charging. Consequently, charging times should be upwards of 75% faster. Citing Qualcomm's data for a 3300 mAh battery, you can see the difference in the table below:"

I understand what it is. I want to know if 8.1 GDR1 enabled it, or if it will need to be a Firmware update, or if the Icon is truly compatible at all.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
So far for me it seems is enabled, charging my phone with my 920 charger from 33% to 100% took about 2:30 hours and charging it with the icon charger from 24% to 100% took about 1:20

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Having a Snapdragon 800 processor does not ensure that your device will get quick charge, just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That is why I am asking the question

Having a Snapdragon 800 processor does not ensure that your device will get quick charge, just saying.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It says it adds support, but a firmware update might be needed to activate the feature. The same is said for the HTC One, it is said it will be provided by a firmware update as the OS supports it.

We anticipate that devices and wall chargers with Quick Charge 2.0 will be available for purchase by early 2014; all smartphones and tablets with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor will have Quick Charge 2.0. Snapdragon 800 processors are an entire system-on-a-chip and feature a CPU, GPU, DSP, LTE Modem and much more, enabling UltraHD video, high-end 3D gaming, 7.1 surround sound, and up to 55 Megapixel image captures, so being able to quick charge means less time charging and more time doing!

Qualcomm? Quick Charge 2.0: Less Time Charging, More Time Doing [UPDATED] | Qualcomm

Last edited:

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It says it adds support, but a firmware update might be needed to activate the feature. The same is said for the HTC One, it is said it will be provided by a firmware update as the OS supports it.

We anticipate that devices and wall chargers with Quick Charge 2.0 will be available for purchase by early 2014; all smartphones and tablets with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor will have Quick Charge 2.0. Snapdragon 800 processors are an entire system-on-a-chip and feature a CPU, GPU, DSP, LTE Modem and much more, enabling UltraHD video, high-end 3D gaming, 7.1 surround sound, and up to 55 Megapixel image captures, so being able to quick charge means less time charging and more time doing!

Qualcomm? Quick Charge 2.0: Less Time Charging, More Time Doing [UPDATED] | Qualcomm

That is all fine and dandy. But that does not answer my question.

Does anyone know for sure if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge, or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be on the icon at all? We can speculate all day, but does anyone actually know?

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
That is all fine and dandy. But that does not answer my question.

Does anyone know for sure if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge, or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be on the icon at all? We can speculate all day, but does anyone actually know?

Did you even read my reply? Yes the icon supports it. Yes quick charge 2.0 will come to the icon and all other lumias that carry the Snapdragon 800 processor.

I'm still looking if the OS enabled it or simply added support.

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Did you even read my reply? Yes the icon supports it. Yes quick charge 2.0 will come to the icon and all other lumias that carry the Snapdragon 800 processor.

I'm still looking if the OS enabled it or simply added support.

Yes, I read your reply. That is literally why I asked "Does anyone know for sure if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge, or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be on the icon at all? We can speculate all day, but does anyone actually know" The Key part in that is the "Actually Know" part

I asked If Its is "ENABLED". Your response was "It says it adds support, but a firmware update might be needed to activate the feature"

That response does not say that it is enabled or not, only that it is now supported and may be enabled, or may not be, and may need a firmware update. So my question still stands

Does anyone KNOW for SURE if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge(I know the support is there, but is it Enabled), or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be ENABLED(not just supported) on the icon at all?

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I read your reply. That is literally why I asked "Does anyone know for sure if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge, or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be on the icon at all? We can speculate all day, but does anyone actually know" The Key part in that is the "Actually Know" part

I asked If Its is "ENABLED". Your response was "It says it adds support, but a firmware update might be needed to activate the feature"

That response does not say that it is enabled or not, only that it is now supported and may be enabled, or may not be, and may need a firmware update. So my question still stands

Does anyone KNOW for SURE if 8.1 GDR 1 enabled quick charge(I know the support is there, but is it Enabled), or if it will require a firmware update, or if it will be ENABLED(not just supported) on the icon at all?

Looks like the OS enabled it for any phone with certain processors including the 800, 600 and 400 series processors.

Charge away, but also you should invest in a quick charge 2.0 charger to see the added benefit.

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Driver_Components/Battery

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Does this work with QI/Wireless charging or is the USB cable only ?

Only place I plug in my phone is when I am in the car, otherwise I have wireless chargers everywhere (I have 4 now, even keep one in my travel bag)

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Does this work with QI/Wireless charging or is the USB cable only ?

Only place I plug in my phone is when I am in the car, otherwise I have wireless chargers everywhere (I have 4 now, even keep one in my travel bag)

I've been reading up on the Qi Wireless charging standard and man oh man they don't make it easy to get a direct answer.
I think it does work since Qi has variable outputs, but i couldn't find any information on if it goes up to 9v. Hopefully it does and the new Qi standard is just adding range benefits.

Updated Qi wireless charging means your phones won't have to be directly touching the charger | Windows Phone Central

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
The icon charger supports quick charge, I've seen a big difference before and after the update

With the standard icon charger it only supports quick charge 1.0 due to it only supplying the phone 5v. Quick charge 2.0 requires a charger with 9v-12v.

They might of changed the charging algorithms for 1.0 in 8.1 update 1 because I agree that the charge is alot faster then before.

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the OS enabled it for any phone with certain processors including the 800, 600 and 400 series processors.

Charge away, but also you should invest in a quick charge 2.0 charger to see the added benefit.

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Driver_Components/Battery

Thank you. From that page I was able to find this

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-US/OEM/docs/Phone_Bring-Up/2.3__Power_subsystem

It specifically states

"High Voltage Dedicated Charging Port (HVDCP) charging is supported on phones that use the MSM8974Pro and MSM8926 applications processor."

HVDCP is part of the Quick Charge 2.0 standard

Only question now is... Where can I get a charger that is 2.0 certified?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading up on the Qi Wireless charging standard and man oh man they don't make it easy to get a direct answer.
I think it does work since Qi has variable outputs, but i couldn't find any information on if it goes up to 9v. Hopefully it does and the new Qi standard is just adding range benefits.

Updated Qi wireless charging means your phones won't have to be directly touching the charger | Windows Phone Central

Yea, that is a newly announced standard of QI charging 1.2....I'm sure the ICON does not support it...( will be compatible but, not in the 1.2 standard, so it falls back to the current standard)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb