Just upgraded to the Icon for free!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
100% right. Just be nice and ask if they will price match the Verizon offer with proof. Then let slip that you're there mostly for the amazing MS warranty and you'll be all set.

That's pretty cool! I'm not eligible to upgrade and the nearest Microsoft store is a couple of hours away, but when it's time I'll definitely keep this in mind.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Welcome! Do ask any question you have here - that is why we are all here; to help one another!

I usually go to a Verizon store to do my stuff with them, but if I can convince my wife to switch back to WP from iPhone (we both had HTC WP8 and she didn't like it) I'll do my business with Verizon through Microsoft. The nearest store is an hour or so away, but it is worth the trip (I can see family in the area too!) as I find the MS employees are more knowledgeable and more friendly.

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I also just used my upgrade to get the Nokia Lumia Icon (white). The VZW website wouldn't let me pick it up at the the store because their database showed that no stores within 50 miles had any Lumia Icons in stock (even though I had just left a corporate store with some in stock). After speaking with a supervisor at *611, I was able to get the coupon emailed to me so I could go back to the store and pick it up at the online price (free) + $30 upgrade fee.

I also was trying to decide between the HTC One M8 and the Icon. After lots of internet research, I decided that the camera on the Icon and the free price made the Icon the choice for me. It's a beautiful piece of hardware.

Being a new Windows Phone user, coming from Android, and previously iOS, I am struggling with adopting the WP8 platform. Though I am not an app "junkie", there ARE a few key apps that I use regularly... Facebook being the main one. Yes, there is a Facebook app, but it is severely crippled compared to Android/iOS. First of all, pictures posted in comments do not show up in the WP Facebook app (nor am I able to post pictures in comments to a post).

I bought the Icon in hopes that WP 8.1 will make its way to our phones, but as usual Big Red is dragging its heals in pushing it out to our phones. I'm hoping that the longer I use the Icon, the easier the transition from Android to WP will become. But I don't find much Windows Phone for beginners help anywhere. What I do find is basic stuff that I was easily able to figure out on my own. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. I am heavily tied into Windows through work, home, and school, so it seemed to make sense to integrate Windows into my mobile platform as well.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
You have had for a couple weeks now- still like it?

Yes! The battery life seems to be improving, and I'm getting use to the OS (still running 8.0). The disappearing notification bar is a pain, but I can wait for 8.1. The camera is really nice, though I'm still learning. I seem to take more blurry pics than I like (moving kid is tough, so I need to find the right speed), but I also snapped really sharp ones as well. I love the People hub - no need to really bring up Facebook, Twitter, or Linkedin apps, it does everything I need. Finally, I bought the Incipio Feather Case and love it. Protects the back of the phone and makes it really easy to hold and isn't bulky in my pocket.

The Lumia site states I get 7 GB of OneDrive free. I already have 25GB (was grandfathered in for the extra 10GB), but I don't see the extra 7GB. How do I get it?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
7GB is the default for new users (with new MS accounts for their new WP), if you have more already, you won't get 7 additional. You might get 3 more with photo backup though, I think...

Just step away from the People Hub slowly. There you go, put down that whole integrated experience idea you have in your head. Sir, you need to embrace siloed apps, an app for every little idea, at least, if there is an app available on the platform.

Don't forget to set some pictures as favorites and enjoy seeing them as the background in the (late, great) Photos Hub as well (for now).

And please, download 50 games. They will be conveniently stored in your Games Hub...until they infest your app list during the Microsoft 8.1 "1 Step Forward, X Steps Back" upgrade!

(sigh...if you haven't guessed, I'm not quite *entirely* pleased with where things are going :p )

I might get the Feather as well. I was hoping for an even more minimalist bumper style, but don't see anything like that coming out.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks for clearing up the OneDrive confusion.

Well that just plain sucks about the People Hub. It's one of my favorite features as I don't have to use those memory sucking, data sucking apps (at least they were on Android). I especially liked the combined message center and the ability to switch from Facebook to text. Now I'm not so excited to get Cyan and Windows 8.1...

The Feather looks like it came with the phone. Both my Icon and the Feather are black, so they blend together well. The soft touch of the case keeps that expensive device feeling intact, IMO.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I had the Feather with both my Trophy and 928, and it's a nice "barely there" shell. Took a few blows for my 928 as well.

I got my Icon in white though, which makes me really want to not cover it up. Such a sharp looking phone.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to mention my Nokia charger died after 1 charge. I called Verizon and they had none in stock and wanted to send me a Motorola charger. I declined and said I'd check back in a week or so. Should I just contact Nokia or Microsoft for the charger exchange?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention my Nokia charger died after 1 charge. I called Verizon and they had none in stock and wanted to send me a Motorola charger. I declined and said I'd check back in a week or so. Should I just contact Nokia or Microsoft for the charger exchange?

For sure, or head see what Verizon says now. That would be irksome...

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the Icon club. I got on the edge from my 928 which I loved and loved my 920 as well with att but had to switch do to the demographic area(mountains). There should be an app on tips for the phone or you get a text message on help with doing certain things. I got a crystal clear case from amazon that has rubber all around the sides and has a side lip that comes up past the glass screen do its protected. As I was was doing wind sprints and my phone w/,cade came flying out my armband and only really scuffed 2 of the corners. Love the clear case though cause it shows the nice white phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12