Just upgraded to the Icon for free!

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, not totally free as I had to pay for the $30 "activation fee". Anyway, I've been debating real hard over the M8 vs the Icon; the M8 camera was the deal breaker for me. Plus Iove the simplistic design of the black Icon. I should receive it Monday. I can't wait to put my laggy Android days behind me!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Phone ! It's a great smooth OS, that you wont see in Android and it's not just a sea of icons like the iPhone is...

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, you are now into what is probably the most interesting OS in a while, and on what is the best phone out there for WP. Enjoy.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I went through a bit of hell since my official upgrade date is 9/13. I wanted to get in on the $99 M8 promotion but have since decided I liked the Icon better - especially the free part. I hate dealing with Verizon - it's like the physical store, online web, and calling in are 3 separate entities that like to bump you around until you find the right person. I find it odd the brick and mortar store won't honor online pricing.

shakermaker41

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Just curious - what did you do to bump up your upgrade date? I recently made the mistake of relaxing in a hot tub for 15 minutes with my 928 in my pocket, and now its a stone cold brick. My upgrade date is in about 10 weeks, and am wondering how I might go about getting that bumped up?

mmmuffin

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I also just got the Icon. I changed from ATT to Verizon... I got it for free also, by picking the "pick up in store" option and it sends you a code to give to the store clerk. Upgraded to 8.1 now, and love it!

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Just curious - what did you do to bump up your upgrade date? I recently made the mistake of relaxing in a hot tub for 15 minutes with my 928 in my pocket, and now its a stone cold brick. My upgrade date is in about 10 weeks, and am wondering how I might go about getting that bumped up?

Since mine was less than a month away, I'd figured I would ask nicely. Found one nice lady who put me on hold, then told me her supervisor would change the date to today. 15 minutes later, I checked online and I was eligible!

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Since mine was less than a month away, I'd figured I would ask nicely. Found one nice lady who put me on hold, then told me her supervisor would change the date to today. 15 minutes later, I checked online and I was eligible!

It's amazing how often being nice to a fellow human being works. :)

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it was a corporate store. I did not have the option for store pickup when I was ordering online.

I can not wait to get it now! I've debated whether to get a case or screen protector, but I'm going to leave it as is. Since my Droid Razr M has Gorilla Glass, I figured I try it without protection for a few months and it has held up remarkably well. Plus it shows a lot less fingerprints vs the screen protector and is far more resistant to scratches. The frame of the phone shows wear, but that doesn't bother me as I think it adds a bit of character.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Corporate stores can't honor online pricing. Unless you order it online and select in store pickup...annoying

Not true. If you go to the Icon webpage there is a link that says "Get Deal In-Store" just under where you make the choice for 2-year or EDGE pricing. They will email you a coupon to use in store. Best of all, the Microsoft Store will honor that coupon. That gives you the option of buying the killer warranty from MS rather than paying for Verizon's scam.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I moved from Android to Windows a few weeks ago. Amazing. And like you I'm glad to leave lag and bugs behind.

I'm a BIG fan of Windows Phone - I have a Lumia 1520 & have handed down my Lumia 920 to my wife (she re-iterated yesterday,' ... she loves her phone, as much as she loves her car ... ' & probably more than me) jk .

That being said, there are enough posts on here about buggy devices (especially with Dev Preview), hopefully that will NOT be off putting, as ALL OSs have their share of bugs / glitches.
Don't want to turn a fan into a hater, if issues should arise. That's why we're here, the forum attempts to rectify issues, based on experience.
I have NO issues with my device, there were some early battery issues (after Dev Preview update 1 of WinPhone 8.1) that look to be shaking themselves out.

BTW: try TimeMe tile, if you like a Time display on your Start screen - it appears to be very stable, NOW.

merlot2k1

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm loving this phone; I can not put it down! I'll stick with version 8 and will wait for the official release of 8.1. The only bugs I have found are with IE and certain websites. In fact, this site is buggy. The nav bar wouldn't work on the forums here. I had to go back to the front page to log in. As a developer, I think that's more of an issue on wpcentral's part. Speaking of developing, I'm seriously thinking about developing for Windows Phone.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm loving this phone; I can not put it down! I'll stick with version 8 and will wait for the official release of 8.1. The only bugs I have found are with IE and certain websites. In fact, this site is buggy. The nav bar wouldn't work on the forums here. I had to go back to the front page to log in. As a developer, I think that's more of an issue on wpcentral's part. Speaking of developing, I'm seriously thinking about developing for Windows Phone.

WPCentral has a killer app. I highly suggest using it instead.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Not true. If you go to the Icon webpage there is a link that says "Get Deal In-Store" just under where you make the choice for 2-year or EDGE pricing. They will email you a coupon to use in store. Best of all, the Microsoft Store will honor that coupon. That gives you the option of buying the killer warranty from MS rather than paying for Verizon's scam.

What is the killer MS warranty?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

So you get the coupon through the Verizon website and take it to a Microsoft store and purchase the phone with the Microsoft warranty?

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So you get the coupon through the Verizon website and take it to a Microsoft store and purchase the phone with the Microsoft warranty?

100% right. Just be nice and ask if they will price match the Verizon offer with proof. Then let slip that you're there mostly for the amazing MS warranty and you'll be all set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster