The word from on high WP8.1/Cyan

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I knew about the M8 before I purchased my Icon. I went with the Icon mainly because I like the look / design of it and because I am not a fan of the HTC One and M8 speaker system. It makes the phone much larger than the screen size would dictate.

I played around with a 1520 in an AT&T store and while it was a very nice phone, that thing was huge.. And I mean huge! It made my Icon look like a toy..

I used to have a Galaxy Note II. It was nice and I thought it would be useful, but it was way to big for my needs. So instead of staying in the Android ecosystem, I moved to the 928, and now the Icon. I've played with the 1520 and I agree that it is a nice phone, but way to big. I think the 4.5" - 5" screen size range is the sweet spot. Most people can handle it one handed, and you get really good resolution. Anything bigger is just overkill (and possibly somebody compensating :smile:)...

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
No it doesn't. The m8 doesn't even compare to the icon, with its washed out blacks and 5mp camera!
The M8 has a beautiful screen, and is currently the fastest Windows Phone on the market. There's a reason why Daniel and Mary Jo are using this device, because its awesome.

I don't own one, and I don't plan on buying it, but when I see a person slamming it for no reason it always makes me wonder why.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I played with the HTC at the store and I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent phone, but the Icon is still better. Faster does not ALWAYS mean better. There are a lot of other things the Icon has that the HTC doesn't. Camera quality, screen quality, audio recording quality, just to name a few.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The M8 has a beautiful screen, and is currently the fastest Windows Phone on the market. There's a reason why Daniel and Mary Jo are using this device, because its awesome.

I don't own one, and I don't plan on buying it, but when I see a person slamming it for no reason it always makes me wonder why.

Fastest ? Maybe a little, they show some numbers but, in the real world, it's not a major difference. It's like taking a PC that is 2.5ghz and going to 3.0ghz....Yea, a hair faster depending on what you doing but, not going to change the world in speed. Difference ? Yea, open a big game, say, Real Racing 2 for example, it will take a 1/2 a second faster on the M8, maybe even 1 second, is that really going to change the world ?

They are both good phones, in this case, is one better than the other ? Depends on your needs, it really does. If you need expandable storage and taking a hit on the camera, then the M8 is for you, If you want about the same speed but, a really great camera, the ICON/930 is for you.

The reason why Daniel and Mary Jo are using it because it's the newest phone. They tend to always use the higher end new phones.

Richard Servello

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Maybe faster on paper. But I noticed the m8 stuttering many times while playing with it in the store. Comparing the screen to the icon is night and day. The blacks are washed out. The saturation is low. Overall its a disappointing effort. You say you don't have it. So why do you care so much for it?

ctdreamin

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm beginning to think I should have bought an iPhone; I like my Icon! I went with a Windows phone because of all the phones, it is more secure and there are fewer privacy concerns. But, with that said, if the apps don't offer the same features as the others, and you can't get timely updates, then it really may not be worth it. I do wish Microsoft would take Apples model for updates and let us download and install when we want, not when the Carrier finally gets around to it... Yea, I know, the dev program... Oh well, unless MS can get it's market share up and be taken more seriously by devs and carriers, I may have to go to the enemy.. :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6