Do you have a case?

Lucas234

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll be getting a Lumia Icon near the end of September, and I'd like to know if you guys recommend getting a case. I don't have any household hazards like children that could pose a threat to my phone, and I don't work in a very dangerous work environment. Worst thing that happens at work (Walmart) is bumping into the corner or edge of something. I always put my phone (screen facing inward) in a pocket by itself. I'm very conscientious of taking care of my electronics. I've had my GS3 for two years now and it's in near perfect condition. That being said, do you think this phone needs a case? I'm not against cases, but if I don't need one I'd rather not have one. It's a nice-looking phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a clumsy person, and I don't have children/pets either, but I use cases.

I was at my mother's house one time and showed her a YouTube video on my device. She got excited by the video and hit my hand, knocking my device onto the tile floor. Since I had an Otterbox case, no damage was done.

I recommend cases, just because one never knows what might happen, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't like cases but don't want anything to happen to this phone. The otter box makes it to bulky, so I got an incipio feather. Not as protective as the otterbox but better than no case, and it's doesn't make the phone to big to comfortably carry in my pocket.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of cases either but after the first drop onto a hard surface/concrete that inevitably happens sometime during my 2 year contract no matter how careful I am I usually break down and get a case, in the past for other phones I used the Otterbox Commuter ( nice protection not as bulky as defender) but for the icon I will get a Incipio Feather to use when I see a good sale

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Get a case! I've yet to drop a cell phone but I'm not taking chances either. There's not a huge selection for the Icon but I like the Incipio DualPro that I have on mine. I would advise you to avoid the white one. Seems to have a problem with peeling and discoloring. Otherwise nice solid case, fits great and adds very little weight. You can buy here on WPCentral, direct from Incipio or save a few bucks on Amazon.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree with most people who don't want a case because if you think about it, engineers take a ton of time to make a beautiful elegant device, especially Nokia, and to slap a case on it is kind of like covering up their art. Although as of recent times I've decided to put a case on mine because of too many close calls. Coming from the HTC Droid DNA, this phone is pretty hefty. Not too much to complain about, just enough to slide out of pockets more easily than most phones. It dropped from my scrub pants at work twice onto hard wood flooring from about 2 and a half feet. no damage to the phone, but scared me enough to buy a case. A few days later (waiting for shipping) my wife pulled off to the side of the road and wanted me to get some free aloe plants someone had out in front of their house, being a highway and all, i had to be quick so i hoped out of the car and there went my phone onto the pavement. scared me half to death. i got really lucky, it did damage my phone :( but the metal frame was my saving grace. it placed a nice little ding in the top right of the device. Cant wait to get my case. Bitter sweet actually I ended up getting this one:Amazon.com: Evecase S-LINE Slim Fit TPU Cover Case for Nokia Lumia Icon (929) - Frosted Clear (Verizon Version Compatible): Cell Phones & Accessories

i consider it minimalist. Just enough to cover the edges. I'm not worried about the screen as long as the edges are protected.

astell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I have never been a fan of cases up until last week when I got a Mophie battery case for my work iPhone and now I'm on the prowl for one for my Icon (just posted a thread asking people about it, it is by Mugen). I've been using my Icon since launch with no case and I've dropped it numerous times. All four corners have scars from said drops - but the screen isn't damaged and the phone is no worse for them. My iPhone? Didn't fair as well. I am personally a fan of the Icon's aesthetics as is, but as I said a battery case is appealing also.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't use a case and never have. I just take good care of my phone. I also have an insurance plan through Microsoft that covers drops.

Honestly, Nokia's devices are too pretty to cover up. I personally think it's a crime not to let my phone be seen. I'm a mobile nudist. :winktongue:

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I dropped my 928 once and it cracked the gorilla glass. Digitizer still worked fine though. For the icon use to have a incipio feather case and it was nice for protecting against regular use. I used that with the vzw screen protector which later got replaced with an armorsuit which after several replacements got removed. Currently I have the otterbox defender without the screen protector, so far it is doing just fine without it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Never use a case, I like phones for their design never mind their feature set and the ICON too much of a nice phone to put in a case.

I also have insurance so if I something happens, I am not going to worry about it. For the most part, my last 4 phones were mint after using them for a about a year each. I take care of my stuff.

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I'll also mention that I set my icon down on a table that apparently was a little dirty and scratched the the back of my phone a little when I had to take my case off to apply a screen protector.

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I go back and forth. If I use a holster, my Icon goes buck naked. However, I case it if I'm not using my holster. I've dropped mine a few times. She's still very Purdy, but she does bare a few scars ☹

BB_Jay

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Also, the back of the phone is very slick, so it can easily slip out of your hand. Another reason to consider a case.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have that cheap silicone case from the Verizon store on my 822 and it does the job. I've dropped it quite a few times and no damage at all. With my next phone, hopefully the 830, I might go naked since it's seems to be a beautiful looking device.

nx_2000

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of cases but I'm using an Incipio feather at present. I baby my phone but just sliding around on its back would eventually scratch up the plastic, and replacing the back cover isn't very easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos