Saying goodbye to my icon

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Its the acreen protector. Windows phones don't play well with screen protectors for some reason. Also, why not upgrade to the m8 for windows since you are on verizon. Its a decent upgrade.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I keep a screen protector on mine, but I also pitch them often. Can't stand the worn spots. Then once i get rid of them, my screen looks so much stinking better..

But, I have always had them, and find I am paranoid without one on.

OP- I would try pulling off the screen protector even if it looks perfect. Enough posters here have said it is a siimilar problem they have had, and I believe in doing the easy stuff first.

I also had one of my phones get wet (can't remember which one), and it's screen performance was all over the place. Random screen selections, I would pull it out of my pocket and it had web sites up or had tried to text people, just was never the same. I do remember going to a different device (my old Palm Pre) until I replaced it.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I had the same phantom touch/scroll problem on my Icon. Never used a screen protector. Exchanged it for a new one and it's been fine. My two cents, it's a hardware problem, maybe something with heat suggested in masaga91's other thread on the topic.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
That happened with my ASUS Vivo Tab RT tablet. In the end it was a hardware defect and there was nothing I could do. I also waited too long to fix it. Fortunately I didn't particularly like the device anyway. It was just plain too small to be of any use. After taking it apart and demolishing it (which was fun) I trashed it.

I suspect your Icon is still under warranty. You should get it replaced.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The Icon is still under warranty. Don't waste money replacing it - make Microsoft replace it under the warranty. If you've done a reset, and it still has the same problem, the problem is hardware and that's a warranty issue.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
The Icon is still under warranty. Don't waste money replacing it - make Microsoft replace it under the warranty. If you've done a reset, and it still has the same problem, the problem is hardware and that's a warranty issue.

THIS!

Warranty covers any defects and workmanship.

Nokia Limited Warranty said:
During the warranty period, Nokia will, in a reasonable time, remedy the Defect free of charge by either repairing or replacing the defective Product or the defective part of it at its option provided that you have informed Nokia of the Defect before the warranty period expires.

So talk with Nokia they'll probably give you a warranty service.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the opposite is true. For the vast majority of users there is no reason to ever use a screen protector. I am an archaeologist and know quite a bit more than most about the places dirt can get and I have never used a screen protector. Try climbing around backhoe trenches and excavation units; spending years in dust storm prone parts of the southwestern United States, documenting/examining sites abandoned for a millennia; hiking for miles across desert and mountain terrain; documenting abandoned historic buildings, etc. etc., and then talk to me about dirt. The simple application of common sense and careful handling are more than sufficient to avoid scratches. Accidents do happen but those do not generally result in scratches; they leave you with a broken phone. My career has given me a surgically repaired ankle, two fused vertebrae in my lower back, three fused vertebrae in my neck, plus the odd parasitic infection and a case of Lyme disease but I have never broken or even scratched a phone screen. Screen protectors are an unnecessary accessory and a great example of how advertising can convince people they need something they can easily do without.

That all sounds fantastic, but doesn't take away from the fact that one single grain of sand will scratch a screen...gorilla glass 3 or not. If that one grain makes it in to your pocket, or your case with your phone, you will not like the outcome.

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I have OP's problems too, just not as drastic. My Icon will reboot and then after the Verizon splash screen would just turn off. I have to be touching the screen for it to continue the boot phase. Sometimes when I'm swiping on Facebook or even the WPC App it'll recognize it as a touch and start playing podcast or something. It's annoying. I'm on the DP Update 1. I didn't think about the screen sensitivity being the issue. I'll set it to medium because I have it on high or gloves, something like that. Should I send mine in or wait for Cyan to come out? No screen protector.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problems plus the ones that I having... 😢
What should i do, wait for cyan or if going to give a try, where should I call to have my cellphone replaced???

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that I bought it on eBay and I'm using it in my country (Costa Rica), in that case what can I do?

It shouldn't matter where you bought it or whether you have a receipt or not, because there is no Icon that is out of warranty yet. They haven't been around long enough. Take a look at the contract (the warranty), and see what it says. The only problem I can possibly see is that you are outside the US, and it is a US-only phone.

Do you know someone in the US that you could send it to in order to have them get it fixed? This would of course take longer and you'd be without it for a longer time, but it's a thought.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't matter where you bought it or whether you have a receipt or not, because there is no Icon that is out of warranty yet. They haven't been around long enough. Take a look at the contract (the warranty), and see what it says. The only problem I can possibly see is that you are outside the US, and it is a US-only phone.

Do you know someone in the US that you could send it to in order to have them get it fixed? This would of course take longer and you'd be without it for a longer time, but it's a thought.

yes i have family and friends in the US, and I'm probably going myself in december, so I'm probably my best option is to send the phone to someone in the US

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers