At this late date, do I upgrade to DP or just wait?

Spiff542

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Just got an Icon for work. After seeing all the frustration and lack of info from VZW on the Cyan update, I figured I would ask a bunch of random strangers their advice on going with DP, or just waiting for Cyan? What do you think. Thanks in advance!

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I would just wait. Have a feeling Cyan's just around the corner. That's just my feeling though.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I would wait as Cyan has only just started being rolled out for those on preview for developers for select models only. I recently went through an ordeal which lasted several hours to get cyan flashed onto my 920. I'm not going to go into detail what happened, as it would turn into an essay of post. never the less that was not a normal case as it is pretty painless.

However there have been some cases of people bricking their devices when flashing back.. most likely they panicked and let their phones run out of charge or tried a cold boot (turned it off by powering off completely or battery pull) or yanked the cable (that is what Leo Laporte did, he is one of the co-hosts of windows weekly lol and doing so bricked his 1520).

I would imagine given that Lumia Denim has been announced, you should get Lumia Cyan in a couple of weeks. Since it is a exclusive device (the lumia 930 which is the global version comes shipped with 8.1 and Cyan), it would be hard to gauge a narrower time frame.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I would hold out for another week to see if Verizon releases it. Because as it stands now if you do the DP 8.1 you'll have to downgrade to 8.0 to get the official update when Verizon releases it anyways.

Jakez98

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've just flashed my Lumia 1020 using the Nokia Software Recovery Tool 2 days ago (Xbox Music got screwed up with constant crashes after I cleared my music library). Ran NSRT and got Cyan and I'm officially back on the consumer release of WP 8.1.

Everything feels smoother now, including the dreadful Xbox Music app. Not sure about battery life yet, but I'm definitely not going back to Developer Preview. And if you want a faster camera performance, I suggest downloading Nokia Camera Beta, it is noticeably faster than the official Nokia Camera app.

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I installed 8.1 DP on my Icon and haven't experienced any issues. When I upgraded, the install said my phone would upgrade automatically when the carrier upgrade is released.

Spiff542

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I figured what the heck, and went for it. I'm not scared to downgrade the OS in a few days. I did one last backup and then pushed the button.

So far I'm very pleased 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb