Will Cyan fix the Icon?

barkins

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Just so I'm clear, is it everyone's understanding that the Cyan update coupled with 8.1 will fix the Icon?

Ever since updating to 8.1, it takes a good 3-5 seconds to turn the screen on and it randomly restarts for no apparent reason -- just sitting on my desk it will decide to restart on its own.

The biggest flaw is really the lag when turning the screen on, really sad for a "modern" smartphone to function so erratically.

If Cyan fixes this, then great, otherwise I really don't have any other choice but to ditch the Icon.

soaringthor

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Ideally, the Cyan update will come paired with a firmware update specific to the Icon. I haven't heard that other devices on the DP 8.1 preview pre-Cyan were having as many issues as we are, so chances are that Cyan is delayed since Cyan isn't a magic bandaid and there's still bugs to patch on the Icon level.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't resolve the woeful WiFi quality and issues mine is gone for something else too. Flagship my ****, my 8x was way better!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, the big *maybe* is that Cyan should fix most if not all of these issues. Is anyone who has the 930 reporting these problems ? As it's the same phone, comes from the factory with Cyan, if they are still running into any of these issues, then I might say no.

The firmware SHOULD solve these issues.....

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't put all my eggs into the new firmware will fix all basket. Cyan may help some things be better but it is not the magic bullet. Those who think it is may end up disappointed. For those having lag to wake up issues have you tried it with wifi turned off? Fixed mine.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just so I'm clear, is it everyone's understanding that the Cyan update coupled with 8.1 will fix the Icon?

Ever since updating to 8.1, it takes a good 3-5 seconds to turn the screen on and it randomly restarts for no apparent reason -- just sitting on my desk it will decide to restart on its own.

The biggest flaw is really the lag when turning the screen on, really sad for a "modern" smartphone to function so erratically.

If Cyan fixes this, then great, otherwise I really don't have any other choice but to ditch the Icon.

Well, judging by Cyan on the 930, turning on the screen by double tapping still takes 1 or 2 seconds. So that won't be fixed. And yes, it's really annoying that a flagship with modern specs does that worse than the 920 before it.

The random restarts, I never had them so far on the 930.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am not trying to troll or start any arguments here... just stating what is fact with my phone....

While I do have rare random restarts and on occasions I get the delay in turning on.
They are by no means rampant on my phone.

I also do not have issues with overheating or WiFi dropping out.
My phone will get more than warm if I am watching a lot of video,
or traveling and using Here Drive+ or Waze (which is uninstalled and not going back on my phone)
Signal strength could be a bit better, but it works 99% of the time, occasional drops, probably from interference.
And only in certain parts of the house.

Yes, I would still recommend the Icon. It's still an awesome phone.
It would be even better with Cyan, however, no one knows if it will fix some or any of the issues you are referring to.

I have Hard Reset my phone a couple of times, and it did help with the delay start not happening as often.
When I did the hard reset, I rolled it back to WP8, took whatever updates that were being pushed out at the time
Installed DP and WP8.1 and reinstalled all my apps from scratch.
I also made sure I turned off background tasks for all the apps that really did not require the need to be running constantly. There are many that do this for no reason, or such minimal reason as to not be required.

I do not have issues with BT, WiFi, or running any apps. The delay start is not bad enough on my phone to be annoying.

Could it be better? Sure, but with all the issues I have seen with those other guys phones
I am perfectly happy with WP8.1 and the quality of the camera and build of the Icon.
Again, would be elated if Cyan were available though, and soon Denim.

Wamby

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You realize you're complaining about a bunch of problems with a Developer Preview OS, right? If you're that frustrated, switch back to WP8... It runs perfectly. I want WP8.1 just as badly as the next guy, but I'd take my Icon on WP8 over my iPhone any day of the week.

At least stop telling other people not to go Windows Phone because of the problems you're experiencing on an unofficial operating system...

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
You realize you're complaining about a bunch of problems with a Developer Preview OS, right? If you're that frustrated, switch back to WP8... It runs perfectly. I want WP8.1 just as badly as the next guy, but I'd take my Icon on WP8 over my iPhone any day of the week.

At least stop telling other people not to go Windows Phone because of the problems you're experiencing on an unofficial operating system...

Maybe I'm mistaken, though I really don't think I am, WP 8.1 DP is an official software download from Microsoft, who is the official manufacturer of Windows Phone operating system. Verizon and their so called engineers, don't really know much about operating systems, think about this, how can this phone be having all these problems with 8.1, when Nokia / Microsoft manufactured an exact same phone called the Lumia 930 that runs 8.1 operating system just fine??? The real difference here on these 2 phones is Verizon. Yes I know CDMA crap, they (Verizon) have no problems with an iPhone on a CDMA network when software updates are needed or developed. I Really do think that it does come down to market share, not enough Windows Phone users to influence anyone at Verizon. That's my 2 cents anyway.

anon(9047871)

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm... I have WP8.1 DP and my Icon isn't broken. It wasn't broken on WP8 either. From my experience, there's nothing that needs to be "fixed" by Cyan. This reminds me of my Galaxy S4. My partner and I both got Galaxy S4s a year ago. He's on his 3rd S4 and still complains about it being buggy. I'm on my original S4 and it's been perfectly fine. Seems a lot of these issues depend heavily of what apps are installed and how the devices are configured by the end user. Of course, there's always a possibility of getting a bad device, but when all 3 of your devices are "bad" deductive reasoning says maybe the user is the "issue".

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had the DP 8.1 on my icon also and it worked great. Nothing broken, everything worked fine. 8.1 is a vastly better experience than 8 IMHO. No longer have the icon as I picked up an M8, but I never cared about cyan one way or the other as I already had an awesome phone working well. No idea why so many folks had issues with the DP, but I think more had good results than bad. Since so many did have good results with the DP and no cyan, I have a hard time thinking cyan will magically fix everyone with icon DP 8.1 issues. Maybe something else going on there? 8.1 on the M8 is a very smooth experience, I wonder if having it come preinstalled from the manufacturer helps instead of adding on in an update.

Sensonic

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Finnish guy who purchased a broken Lumia Icon from Ebay and fixed it for myself. Didn't want to pay 550? for Lumia 930 and my employer provides only 3G so I might as well use Icon in Finland.

Have run DP WP8.1 for two weeks right now and the only problem I'm facing is that I cannot send nor receive any MMS messages. But SMS messages work fine, so does WIFI. AND I LOVE SWIPE!!!

If there would be a way to flash Lumia 930's WP8.1 ROM to Icon, I'd do it right away.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I'm mistaken, though I really don't think I am, WP 8.1 DP is an official software download from Microsoft, who is the official manufacturer of Windows Phone operating system. Verizon and their so called engineers, don't really know much about operating systems, think about this, how can this phone be having all these problems with 8.1, when Nokia / Microsoft manufactured an exact same phone called the Lumia 930 that runs 8.1 operating system just fine??? The real difference here on these 2 phones is Verizon. Yes I know CDMA crap, they (Verizon) have no problems with an iPhone on a CDMA network when software updates are needed or developed. I Really do think that it does come down to market share, not enough Windows Phone users to influence anyone at Verizon. That's my 2 cents anyway.

The DP has generic drivers. It's beta software. You volunteered to beta test running it. These issues will most likely be fixed with the Cyan firmware release.

chaz2400

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
So frustrated. I have had the screen delays, reboots and major wifi issues, but now a line has been crossed! I recently got a Fitbit as all of my friends say I am not cool unless I have one. (j/k) However, it will not sync with my phone at all. It is definitely the phone as it will sync with any other device. Tried everything I could think of, still wont connect. It also wont connect to my Yamaha receiver over wifi. These problems are mounting. Yes, I upgraded to 8.1 knowing it was a developer program, but not having an official update on a "flagship" device for this long is not acceptable. I hope it gets fixed soon or when my Edge plan reaches 50% I might jump ship. It has so much potential...

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Icon = running 8.1 is DP on black
930 = running 8.1 is official Cyan.
Huge difference.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
WP8.1 DP is NOT beta software. It was an official release by MSFT to enable developers to tweak their apps to be ready when MSFT finally released it to the carriers...and then of course to be pushed out to us users. If you look at the new HTC, it is running the same version of WP8.1 prior to update one. If you look at the AT&T phones that have WP8.1 w/Cyan version numbers, they are the same as the HTC. I know, because I've been to both the Verizon and MSFT stores to compare OS versions with my Icon.

Cyan is MORE than updated drivers. There are also Lumia specific apps that you will not get on Samsung, HTC, or LG handsets. Of course, Samsung, HTC, and LG have there OWN drivers and apps that us Lumia users won't have.

anotherlab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Developer Preview falls in between beta and general release. Microsoft labels it as "Non-Commercial Quality" on the terms and conditions page. You get the Microsoft parts of 8.1, you don't get the OEM drivers. The wi-fi drivers would fall under the OEM bits. Using 8.1 OS with 8.0 drivers is bound to have a few impedance mismatches.

While I prefer using my Icon on the 8.1 DP, the Wi-Fi quality is poor. The wi-fi at work uses EAP, so I couldn't use WP 8, pretty much needed to have 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99