Icon on Bell/Virgin Canada

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm posting this for fellow Canadians who are interested in the Icon for use on Bell/Virgin.

I was deciding between the Icon, 1520 and 930 and ultimately decided on the Icon. Reason being, I got a brand new one for 350 Cdn all-in on ebay and couldn't justify the added cost for the 930 or even the 1520.

This is a great phone so I won't bore you with accolades that have been stated elsewhere, just want to discuss features on Bell/Virgn

1. Call and SMS
-Work great, no issues whatsoever out of the box. No issue with call quality or anything like that

2. Internet and MMS
- this one was a bit trickier. I added the internet apn settings and quickly got data working. However, the 'add mms apn' option was disabled on this phone. Luckily, I was able to download Nokia access point which allowed me to send and receive mms picture messages. A nice feature.

4. LTE and other
- Not surprisingly, I do not get LTE speeds, instead I get H/H+, not bad, but disappointing. The other strange thing was that I originally had the phone set to Highest speed: LTE. In this setting, the Icon would go in and out of service, think I had no service. Strangely, even when the phone said no service, if I tried to make a call it would immediately connect no issues. Receiving calls were a non-issue as well. However when the phone mistakenly thought it had no service, outgoing texts were an issue. Luckily, when I changed the highest speed to 3G this problem was eliminated and I now get service as I would expect.

Is LTE worth the extra $250 I would have spent to get the 930? For me, probably not but just know going in that in Canada, you're not going to get LTE with the Icon.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I myself have one on Bell. Like you said, downloading access point fixes the MMS issue.

When I first got it, I had DP 8.1 installed and whenever i was in an LTE area, it would say no service, but a speed test confirmed i was connected to LTE (speeds of 30 mbps).

However, after one of the updates received to the DP, my phone now says LTE when in range, so it's now 100% functional on Bell. If you don't have the Preview for Developers, you should consider looking into it.

Mr Pootawn

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I heard there was a screen issue with the DP? If that's no longer an issue, I will definitely get it. I had DP on my old ATIV S and I miss the swipe text.

anon(5334066)

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I heard there was a screen issue with the DP? If that's no longer an issue, I will definitely get it. I had DP on my old ATIV S and I miss the swipe text.

Only issue I have is that the screen occasionally takes like 3-4 seconds to wake up when the power button is pressed... Installed live lock screen and the problem is pretty much gone. I imagine that will be fixed with the Denim update later this year.

I'd say it's worth it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720