Wireless Charging Not Working Anymore?

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with their wireless charging not working anymore? I have three charging plates and my Icon suddenly won't connect on any of them. It was working fine last night and every night for the past few months but earlier today I accidentally knocked it off of my desk at work (it hit the roller pad for my chair, literally the only hard surface in the room, screen down) so I'm wondering if something is wrong with my phone.

I searched the forums but didn't see anyone saying anything about it with the Icon. Running DP 8.1 right now but I'm hoping I didn't just break QI charging in it.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I was running 8.1.1 DP on my 920 prior to getting cyan and my Qi charger would work intermittently or worse, seem to drain the battery (phone was charging the charger?).

Since you didn't have any problem with DP prior to the attempt to kill a Nokia today, I suspect it may have been injured in the fall. :'(

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that the Qi charging coil in your phone was bumped. You could attempt to take the Icon apart to fix or replace it, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that. There is a guide for taking apart the Icon.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning the device off and back on again? I know that sounds silly, but I have had the same issue a couple times and a simple reboot fixed it :p lol

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was running 8.1.1 DP on my 920 prior to getting cyan and my Qi charger would work intermittently or worse, seem to drain the battery (phone was charging the charger?).

Since you didn't have any problem with DP prior to the attempt to kill a Nokia today, I suspect it may have been injured in the fall. :'(

Yeah, I had no problems other than the usual battery/heating issues that people have been reporting for a while. It's kind of funny because that was the first time I've dropped it and I had just taken it out of my case to clean some dust that had collected on the edges.

My guess is that the Qi charging coil in your phone was bumped. You could attempt to take the Icon apart to fix or replace it, but I wouldn't know the first thing about that. There is a guide for taking apart the Icon.

I had considered that, but I don't know enough about the internals of this phone. Definitely don't want to mess it up worse if that's what the problem is.

Have you tried turning the device off and back on again? I know that sounds silly, but I have had the same issue a couple times and a simple reboot fixed it :p lol

Haha, yes. I've come across that problem before too and was hoping a reboot would sort it, but no luck. I'm thinking that this really is a hardware issue on my end.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the green/orange back thread, it has a lot of info on the back removal and Qi charging. The back pops off (officially with a suction cup in the right place, IIRC others have done it jn other ways). The Qi and NFC coils are on there. Should be easy to spot any superficial bump damage/misalignment, anyway.

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the green/orange back thread, it has a lot of info on the back removal and Qi charging. The back pops off (officially with a suction cup in the right place, IIRC others have done it jn other ways). The Qi and NFC coils are on there. Should be easy to spot any superficial bump damage/misalignment, anyway.

Thanks for the tip! I had a suction cup at work so I popped off the back and reseated the coil. I don't have a charging pad here but I'll give it a try when I get home. Maybe I'll get lucky. I noticed that there were links to buy replacement Qi and NFC coils in the thread. I guess if worse comes to worse I could always buy replacements and give that a try.

Edit: Got home and tried it. It works again!!

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! I had a suction cup at work so I popped off the back and reseated the coil. I don't have a charging pad here but I'll give it a try when I get home. Maybe I'll get lucky. I noticed that there were links to buy replacement Qi and NFC coils in the thread. I guess if worse comes to worse I could always buy replacements and give that a try.

Edit: Got home and tried it. It works again!!

Nice! Excellent work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb