Under contract for way too long with VZW.
    I just sold my Note 3 (mistake?) because I didn't feel I could take full advantage of it.
    I've owned iPhones in the past and am familiar (but not savvy enough) with iOS.
    I currently have a Galaxy S4 that I like ok (have a 64GB SD card in it) & have it fixed somewhat like I like.
    I've found a 3 month old Icon (929) for sale that i'm pondering. It's got 8.1 on it and has the wireless charging device with it.
    Not having used a Windows phone before, how much of a shock will I be in for?
    I'm sure everyone here's a "fanboy" & I mean no disrespect by that...it's just that I don't know if anyone's been in a similar situation as I.
    I'd appreciate any help in this matter.
    Thanks.
    09-23-2014 11:47 PM
    I just sold my Note 3 (mistake?) because I didn't feel I could take full advantage of it.
    I currently have a Galaxy S4 that I like ok (have a 64GB SD card in it) & have it fixed somewhat like I like.
    I've found a 3 month old Icon (929) for sale that i'm pondering. It's got 8.1 on it and has the wireless charging device with it.
    I'm sure everyone here's a "fanboy" & I mean no disrespect by that...it's just that I don't know if anyone's been in a similar situation as I.
    Thanks.
    Do your research on the apps you use most before you dive in.
    Camera is superb, phone build quality is great and the OS is quite fluid and for the most part has caught up to where Android 4.4 and iOS 7 are/were. I believe Android L and iOS 8 will pull ahead a bit but by W9 the OS should be on par again.

Let us know if we can help on specific apps. There are sometimes really awesome 3rd party apps on WP even if the original developer doesn't want to develop for the platform.
    09-23-2014 11:52 PM
    Thanks.
    Basically, you'll find app gap in WP, as you are using s4, you would realize that WP doesn't have all the apps & games, but if you only use some basic apps & games, WP is perfect for you. Its a good OS. Also there are most of the top apps/games in WP from iOS /Android
    09-23-2014 11:52 PM
    if what you care about is having the exact same apps as your iOS and Android friends, you'll find WP lacking.

but if what you care about is a great smartphone experience, you'll love Windows Phone 8.1 on the Icon (especially when Cyan and Denim come out). WP has enough of the same apps that you'll be fine with your friends too.
    09-24-2014 12:00 AM
    I'm certainly a fan of Microsoft phones.
    If I were you it may be best to start cheap as far as Windows or go with the other platforms since you're familiar.

Microsoft is really pushing Cortana against Siri right now.
    Cortana has me trained quite well and has pointed out many features that make phone use extremely simple.
    This is one area I believe where Microsoft mobile excels.
    09-24-2014 12:15 AM
    I don't game (unless it's Solitaire/Freecell), really.
    I think, really, that the only apps I use on a consistent basis is one to check my 2 mutual funds & weather radar. I just went through my apps on my phone & didn't see anything that jumps out at me besides the calculator that I use alot (does 8.1 calculator turn into a scientific calculator when turned sideways?).
    I'm sure i'll use the camera the most & am hoping that it'll have the similar tools as the S4/5/Note 3 as far as slo-mo video & different camera effects?
    Thanks for the quick responses, fellas!
    09-24-2014 12:15 AM
    I don't game (unless it's Solitaire/Freecell), really.
    I think, really, that the only apps I use on a consistent basis is one to check my 2 mutual funds & weather radar. I just went through my apps on my phone & didn't see anything that jumps out at me besides the calculator that I use alot (does 8.1 calculator turn into a scientific calculator when turned sideways?).
    I'm sure i'll use the camera the most & am hoping that it'll have the similar tools as the S4/5/Note 3 as far as slo-mo video & different camera effects?
    Thanks for the quick responses, fellas!
    I think then you will have no trouble on wpplatform whatsoever, given that these are the only apps you use. An app from Microsoft called finance should take care of your mutual funds and there are also many similar apps. and yes the calculator becomes scientific calculator when turned sideways. Although you can always download an app of you are not satisfied with it. You'll love windows phone. I guarantee it. you'll never go back from here.
    09-24-2014 01:08 AM
    Firstly, we all welcome u to the WP :)

The 929 @ Icon will have a 32GB but non-expandable memory slot, so ur 64GB card can't be used with the phone. Sorry about that. Other than that, the basic apps are there (some 3rd party apps works better too), and dont worry about camera/video apps, plenty of them to try out. And bare in mind, u gotta get used to the home screen's icons @ 'tiles' as what we call it, which u can customize accordingly. Thread regarding the start screen customizations
    09-24-2014 01:22 AM
    I was in the same boat you were and decided to jump ship onto the WP platform. Before that I had been on android since 2008 until this year, then briefly on iOS for a month before switching in May. What drew me to WP was the amazing camera and I have not been disappointed. I have really enjoyed the responsiveness of the OS and have no complaints as it responds quickly and swiftly as it should. I found myself using the live tiles a lot in the beginning and customizing my homescreen during the first month of use. The battery life is what is expected and gets me through a 12 hour day, sometimes longer.

However, what has disappointed me is the lack of apps. As many have stated here the majority of the most popular apps are available, though the features on these apps many times lack the features of their iOS and Android counterparts. They are essentially barebone apps seemingly having been released to appease the WP crowd. Many of these apps are not frequently updated if they've ever been updated at all. When they are updated there's no guarantee that they'll have the features of iOS and Android. One example of this is the eBay app. So although there are many popular apps available, keep this in mind before switching over.

Another disappointment is the lack of Google support. There are many alternate apps available that function just fine such as those that work similar to YouTube and Google Drive. MetroTube, the youtube equivalent app, is very nice made and goes to show what can be done when a developer puts in hard work. The GMaps, google maps equivalent, functions fine but is not fully featured like the real google maps. It is not polished and the speed leaves something to be desired. I use it over the Nokia Here Maps to find places and there is an option for navigation that will open up Here Maps to give you navigation, since the app itself does not offer navigation. If you use hangouts to chat, then there is only one option called IM+. This is as barebones as an app gets and it does a sub par job. I experience frequent disconnections and notifications of new IMs are not reliable.

All this brings me to another gripe which is email. Gmail and yahoo mail is what I use the most. I thought the android and iOS apps were great but there is none of that to be found here. Since there is no google support there are only a few options to choose from. I found MetroMail to be the best but far from good. The main reason is that it doesn't support push email. So if you're expecting to get emails instantly you will not because it's not supported. Metromail says it supports it but I have not found that to be the case. With yahoo it's the same thing. The best you can do with any non-Microsoft email is to add it to the native email client included in WP. It will still not give you push email and is limited to fetching emails every 15 minutes. It does what any email client would do, but not fully featured like gmail or yahoo so don't expect that. So unless you have a microsoft email account you'll experience a subpar email experience.

Browsing experience is also something that is lacking. I used IE for all of one day before I switched over to a third party app. There is no back or forward button on IE. If you're browsing and press the back button on the phone, it will indeed take you back to the previous page. However if you're browsing and switch to a different app and then back to IE, then that's where the lack of the back button is sorely missed. Pressing the back button once you're back in IE will take you back to the previous app or homescreen, wherever you previously were. The only way to find your previous page is to go into the history and find it there. This to me was and still is flabbergasting. There is no tab support either though it offers almost everything else. I ended up using UC browswer which I found to be a smoother and overall better experience. It supports tabs and has a back and forward button. It does have its glitches but I didn't find a better option.

I was going to head into the Maps experience of WP but decided I'll put an end to this right now, though I could write about that if you so wish.

Overall I would say WP is a decent OS. Like I mentioned the hardware, camera is great. No iphone or android can come close to it now, though they are catching up. The build quality of the Icon is solid, great screen, and decent battery. The OS is quick to respond and is reliable. Cyan will add features that look tempting but I have all but had it with the lack of the quality of apps, poor non-ms email support, an okay browsing experience, and and okay map/navigation system. To me there are more negatives than positives and therefore I will be leaving WP.

I hope this sheds some light and helps in your decision. I only wanted to share my experience and presented things as fair as I could. Good luck with your decision.
    09-24-2014 09:22 PM
    Did you install wp8.1 .it solves most of the problem of feature and it gives you great experience.
    From Windows phone
    09-25-2014 01:53 AM
    Well, I went ahead & pulled the trigger.
    I don't like the chat. I don't like going back & forth between the keyboard & symbols for a question mark or an exclamation point.
    Like Mrhappi said, I don't like IE on here either...same reasons.
    I haven't tried the navigation program yet.
    I didn't realize or investigate enough before I bought it to see that it took a nano sim which means when I want to switch back to my S4, it's going to take a phone call instead of a simple sim swap.
    The OS does seem smooth. I guess it's going to take a few more days of messing with it to get the final verdict. This is my 4th phone since Feb of this year. I wish I could find something that'd make me happy. hehe.
    09-26-2014 12:05 AM