Burn in, be careful!

Nick Derrico

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up for all those Icon owners... I have major burn in on my screen! It's been reported before, and it's the reason for not having Glance, but now I'm experiencing it first hand.

I keep my phone mounted in my car with HERE Drive going all the time while driving (I like seeing traffic on my commute). The high contrasted areas, like the black bar in the bottom and the Speed Limit indicator are now faintly (but permanently) on my screen. I have a feeling keeping the phone at the highest brightness (which happens in my car with the sun beating it) is the culprit. Apps like "Wiper" don't seem to make a difference, at least not permanently.

I'm going to check with Verizon to see if my warranty covers it, but in the end, it's just going to happen again, so I'm not sure. With Lumia Denim hopefully coming by Christmas, I don't want to give up my Icon, but I love using my phone as my navigation. I may Edge up to the HTC One and just hope the next flagship solves the screen burn-in issues!

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Every so often I open this image up and keep it on the screen for a few minutes maybe about 5-10. I don't know if it really is a good or bad but I don't think it could hurt, but if I'm wrong please correct me.
I have been doing this for years on several different smartphones...

But also I really don't think VZW will replace it under warranty?

WP_20140924_00_01_22_Pro.jpg

yes there is a picture there, its an all white 1080x1920 image.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
With any phone that has an AMOLED panel you must be aware of burn-in and careful not to leave a static image (or UI element) on the screen for too long, especially with high brightness. Maybe someone knows better, but I think burn-in becomes an issue if you leave a static image onscreen for around 1 hour or more.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
When I had my icon I left anight clock on all night at low screen light of course but never got burn in. I think it does have to be at a high screen lighting setting.

Nick Derrico

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely gotta be the brightness that is the difference maker!

I understand that all AMOLED screens can potentially burn in, but I ran my 928 just as hard and never had this issue. Something is different about the Icon's screen that definitely poses a greater threat to burn in. At least this seems to justify the phone have no Glance. It just really stinks that if I essentially have to sacrifice using my phone as an all day navigation device if I want to avoid the burn.

Thankfully you really can't see the burn in unless the screen is all white, which doesn't happen often. I also doubt Verizon would replace it, unless I bet on the associate knowing nothing about the phone, which is a high possibility lol.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have burn in on my 1020, as well. Mine shows the icon tray at the bottom of the screen. Phone was like 1yr old. I also keep my brightness low, I have sensitive eyes. Only on high, outdoors in daylight.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok I'm sorry, please forgive and forget what I said. My only reason and why I brought it up was I was giving a Motorola Droid RAZR and the screen had some burn in where the phone and message icons were displayed on the screen every day for about a month I would display an all white image that filled the screen. With the white image on the screen you could really see the burned in icon very well. After a couple days the icons started to fade and by the end of the month they were pretty much gone.

But again I don't want to be the one who damages someone's phone so I'm sorry, please disregard...

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
This is why I hate OLED's and wish the ICON didn't have one. However since Verizon has pissed me off with the cyan delay, I'm leaving by the end of my contract for AT&T and the 1520 doesn't have OLED. Its about 6 months away and my Nokia 928 took about a year to burn in so it should be just in time.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
This is why I hate OLED's and wish the ICON didn't have one. However since Verizon has pissed me off with the cyan delay, I'm leaving by the end of my contract for AT&T and the 1520 doesn't have OLED. Its about 6 months away and my Nokia 928 took about a year to burn in so it should be just in time.
I sure hope AT&T doesn't **** you off, if so I hear sprint is looking for subs. ;)

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
It's definitely gotta be the brightness that is the difference maker!

I understand that all AMOLED screens can potentially burn in, but I ran my 928 just as hard and never had this issue. Something is different about the Icon's screen that definitely poses a greater threat to burn in. At least this seems to justify the phone have no Glance.
The Icon having a higher potential of burn-in isn't related to Glance. The Clock and notifications move every minute, so the possibility of burn-in is ruled out. The ONLY reason is lack of display memory, nothing else.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile is the only one that hasn't pissed me off and it just doesn't work in my area. If I'm going to get screwed I might as well get screwed by the one company that always delivers their updates on time even if they aren't the first. I was originally encouraged when my 928 was one of the first to get Amber (or was it Black?). I see now that is the exception not the rule.

I sure hope AT&T doesn't **** you off, if so I hear sprint is looking for subs. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte