Black & White photography

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to take B&W photos on the Icon and if so, how to do it? I love doing B&W but I haven't been able to find an option for it and I'm not that familiar with manual options. I remember having scene settings on the 928, or maybe it was a previous version of Nokia camera?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
This is how I get black and white's.
Not in the camera, but afterwards run the image thru the black and white "filter" in Photoshop..

WP_20140922_15_53_35_B&W.jpg
And the before...
WP_20140922_15_53_35_b.jpg.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Oh the excitement of watching a black and white picture develop in front of your eyes in a red light darkroom, the smell of developer and fixer chemicals, the adjustment and dodging of exposure times.

Thankfully I don't have to do that again :smile:

And before any photographic purists come on saying you can't make a proper B&W photo from a colour one, think about this, all B&W film is, is in effect a filter, the light heading down the lens is in colour but the film is only sensitive to black and shades of grey (Well monochrome light) so it is already filtered.

So no issues of turning a colour picture into B&W after the event as shown in the example above.

Bob

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
With Black app. Kodak Tri-X 400

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Attachments

• BLACK_28_09_2014 15_10_47.jpg
    BLACK_28_09_2014 15_10_47.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There isn't a B&W "in camera" option. However, once you take the picture you can Lumia Creative Studio which has three B&W filters... B&W Strong, B&W Antique (more of a sepia), and B&W Faded. However, you'll probably get more satisfying results using Photoshop's default B&W filter or a customized conversion within Photoshop.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
In the OneShot app there are 3 different B&W filters the mono red, mono green and blue, but picking one of those will give you a black and white image, it's just the 3 different option would be like using a red, green or blue filter with black & white film. But after you pick your filter the image on screen will show as black & white so you can see if you picked the "right" filter
Also don't know if you can tell in this image below, but the upper left hand corner that green colour line, it's a "image shake indicator", the cameras image stabilization still works, it just helps to let you know, and try to be a little more stable, also I have another feature turned on and it too is hard to see in the image attached, but there is a "level" in the center of the "view finder" to help you keep your horizons straight. However even if you don't have that turned on, during after editing there is an auto leveling setting that will straighten the image...

wp_ss_20140928_0001b.jpg

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to take B&W photos on the Icon and if so, how to do it? I love doing B&W but I haven't been able to find an option for it and I'm not that familiar with manual options. I remember having scene settings on the 928, or maybe it was a previous version of Nokia camera?
I use ProShot It really lets you have complete manual control of your camera. It also shoots burst mode and also has a real time B&W option. Only complaint is that I cannot make it my default camera app.

wp_ss_20140928_0001.jpg

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I also like the app "Black". The film grain and profiles are beautiful -- really a lot better than just making a picture grayscale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon