Icon still worth buying?

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have come to a time where I need to get a new phone and at most can wait a month (weird circumstances). I wanted to wait for the 1525 but it looks like that will not happen. When you need a phone you need a phone, and I will need one shortly.

Is the ICON still worth it? I am coming from a 928 and frankly it has been a problematic phone - latest firmware helped with some of the issues but still get some of the oddities now and then. I am a bit concerned as I am seeing complaints about resets, wifi problems, etc.

Also, I am not pleased with the lack of MicroSD as I have around ~64gb of music (compressed at 320kbps). Combine this with Verizon's anemic tiered data caps and it means I won't have access to my music library without potential of exceeding the data cap. Obviously this is just something I'd have to live with.

Finally, how does the matte white finish hold up with daily use? Does it get dirty? I have a glossy white 928 and it works fine, but I am wondering if the Icon's surface will absorb dirt (like the HTC 8X did). Thanks!

P.S. - price is $99 at Verizon now - any idea if/when this may drop to free in next month?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you should find a phone that supports SD. I see that the HTC One M8 for windows has it. Personally I don't mind 128 music and the 32 is enough. As for the quality of the phone. I personally have had no issues. I've dropped it hard on concrete about a month after purchase and several months later its still fine. Mine is black, but I did have a white 928 and it was easy to keep clean, but it was shiny not matte. As far as I can tell the black matte isn't absorbing dirt, but it is black. My two biggest complaints are Verizon itself for holding the update to Cyan and the size of the screen is too small. I want a 1520 (6" screen) and because I've lost confidence in Verizon because of the Cyan update I'm going to AT&T when I get a chance.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Had mine for six months before upgrading to the M8, and yeah, its an upgrade IMO. But while the icon was and still more or less is an awesome phone I'd not burn an upgrade getting one. Again IMO only the M8 would definitely be worth it and as mentioned you get the SD slot. Or buy an icon outright , check the selling forum or Craigslist, might find a good deal.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how the HTC M8 is an upgrade from the Icon. Slightly newer CPU, but nothing I think would be much different.

HTC M8 has microSD, but it lacks Qi wireless charging. Same size screen. Camera is worse on the M8. And, no capacitive buttons on the M8 which I consider a negative. Form factor is a matter of opinion. HTC has better speakers, but Nokia has better mics. Overall I'd say a tie.

I might get the Icon and give to my SO next year once her upgrade is due. One issue I do see with the 1525 is I like to one-hand my phone often and that seems basically impossible with the 1520/1525 and reach everything.

Again, with the Icon, anyone use the matte white for a while and can comment on if it absorbs dirt?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how the HTC M8 is an upgrade from the Icon. Slightly newer CPU, but nothing I think would be much different.

HTC M8 has microSD, but it lacks Qi wireless charging. Same size screen. Camera is worse on the M8. And, no capacitive buttons on the M8 which I consider a negative. Form factor is a matter of opinion. HTC has better speakers, but Nokia has better mics. Overall I'd say a tie.

Calling it an upgrade is dependant on what you require out of a phone. For me an absolute upgrade, maybe not for you then. It was just a suggestion anyway since you seem to put alot of importance on an SD slot, the least of the M8's goodies. If your just reading specs and not using one for a day or two then you wouldn't understand anyway. Wireless charging for instance makes alot of sense if you need to boost it thru out the day. If your charge goes all day+ then Qi charging becomes much less relevant. Good luck.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It depends on your priorities. I love my music but 32GB is plenty so that's not an issue. I do love the camera. I don't care about QI even though I use it.
On the other hand if 32GB wasn't enough, the M8 would be an upgrade just since I could actually store my music on an SD card. It all depends on what you want.

In fact the only problem I have with the M8 is the camera is crap in comparison to the Icon. I think even the 928 has a better camera. In some ways I like the 928 better since it has a xenon flash. It performs miracles with its ability to freeze everything.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like you should find a phone that supports SD. I see that the HTC One M8 for windows has it. Personally I don't mind 128 music and the 32 is enough. As for the quality of the phone. I personally have had no issues. I've dropped it hard on concrete about a month after purchase and several months later its still fine. Mine is black, but I did have a white 928 and it was easy to keep clean, but it was shiny not matte. As far as I can tell the black matte isn't absorbing dirt, but it is black. My two biggest complaints are Verizon itself for holding the update to Cyan and the size of the screen is too small. I want a 1520 (6" screen) and because I've lost confidence in Verizon because of the Cyan update I'm going to AT&T when I get a chance.

I felt the same and had the ICON at the time. It's screen was the largest I had ever had so it appeared to be big to me. I finally decided to make the move to AT&T and was able to find a 1520 for a reasonable price. I made the move yesterday, 10/8 and man am I glad I did. I know, you don't change carriers for slow updates but I just had the feeling it was time for me. Am I glad I did. The screen on the 1520 is much larger appearing than the ICON. I love it. I'm 69 and the larger screen is a god send for my old eyes. Yes, I'll miss the wireless charging but now I have Glance and a SD card slot so I think it more than balances for the differences.

Your question was should you get the ICON. It's a great phone but have a look at the 1520 before you do. Either way you can't go wrong, there are both Nokia WP's.
Sorry awilliams, didn't mean to squat on your response.,

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Interestingly as of this minute the phone is GONE from VZW web site!! WTF?

If Verizon follows the same business strategy as T-Mobile, then the Icon is now EOL'd. That stinks because it's a stellar device to get the plug pulled on it. If that's the case, maybe the carrier exclusivity Verizon had on the Icon/930 is now over and maybe the ready of us in the US will get a version of it (not holding my breathe on T-Mobile)

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Its still on their site, but there are no details and you can't buy it as a result. However since its a verizon device you can buy one from anywhere and it will still work.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well it's on Microsoft store for $99 so maybe it's just a screw up on VZW or maybe they got tired of something with it and pulled it. I want to buy one, but am somewhat scared off of so many wi fi issues being reported on here. Oh well, I'm still taking the plunge on the weekend. If not vzw then msft.

Maybe vzw pulled it and will rebrand it as 8.1 out of the box or maybe they're dropping the price again or, or, or.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've never had an issue with mine. I've refused to do DP because I think its related to many of the issues people are having. The only time I've had issues with wifi was when ALL my devices had issues with wifi. I reset the router and everything was fine. Considering it was the first time I reset it in over a year, I'm not concerned about that at all.

Well it's on Microsoft store for $99 so maybe it's just a screw up on VZW or maybe they got tired of something with it and pulled it. I want to buy one, but am somewhat scared off of so many wi fi issues being reported on here. Oh well, I'm still taking the plunge on the weekend. If not vzw then msft.

Maybe vzw pulled it and will rebrand it as 8.1 out of the box or maybe they're dropping the price again or, or, or.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I still love mine and the matte white still holds up great. However, with the "retired" rumors going around I'd honestly have to say.....*gulp*.....go to AT&T and get the 1520.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Obviously some top-notch IT folk at VZW and TMO. It's easier to discontinue a device, than to test and release the already built updates for it.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well it appears Verizon made this decision for me. No way I am getting this phone when there is no guarantee it will get Cyan & Denim. I probably could have lived without MicroSD support, but I can't live without firmware support.

...But there is also no way I am getting the HTC due to the lesser quality camera and lack of wireless charging.

So, unless something changes in the next 30 days, my solution will be to go to AT&T or if T-Mobile gets the 1525 then T-Mobile. No point in staying with a carrier that has literally zero hardware that catches my eye.

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Even though I'm bummed about the retirement of this phone, I still think it's a fantastic device and I'll continue to use mine with the 8.1 Developer's Preview for the time being.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb