12-08-2014 01:29 AM
122 12345
tools
    Microsoft removed the link to buy it from Verizon's site. It still has links to the MS store and Amazon. I wonder if they know what's going on.
    MS and Amazon are two different companies. If they have sock, why wouldn't they sell what they have? The Icon will still be able to be activated on an account.
    10-11-2014 07:34 AM
    My husband and I both ordered Icons recently from Verizonwireless.com- him 2 weeks ago, and I just got mine on Wednesday. Neither of us had the experience of seeing it being listed as backordered, and we looked at the site repeatedly before ordering. He got his delivered for free overnight, and mine came 2 days after ordering. And we saved fifty dollars off the listed price with a coupon code found through Google and got ours for fifty bucks instead of one hundred.
    Last edited by NancyAnnL; 10-11-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    10-11-2014 07:47 AM
    Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.
    jazz70 and aximtreo like this.
    10-11-2014 07:56 AM
    Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.
    100% agree. Even if Verizon ends up not retiring the icon & releasing Cyan/8.1, we need to take a stand.

If you're a fan of WP8, it's time to switch carriers. If you're just a casual Verizon user, than do what you'd like. But enough is enough.

I'm on AT&T in a few months or as soon as AT&T starts paying ETF's again.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2014 08:25 AM
    100% agree. Even if Verizon ends up not retiring the icon & releasing Cyan/8.1, we need to take a stand.

If you're a fan of WP8, it's time to switch carriers. If you're just a casual Verizon user, than do what you'd like. But enough is enough.

I'm on AT&T in a few months or as soon as AT&T starts paying ETF's again.
    Unfortunately, for some of us, area coverage keeps us tied to Verizon. And I'm quite sure they know that is the reason more people don't jump ship.
    10-11-2014 08:38 AM
    I would leave Verizon right now but AT&T has no coverage here.
    I would love to see AT&T add wifi calling. I would be off Verizon like a shot.
    10-11-2014 09:24 AM
    Unfortunately, for some of us, area coverage keeps us tied to Verizon. And I'm quite sure they know that is the reason more people don't jump ship.
    my wonderful wireless carrier choices are do I continue to dump money into Verizon's coffers while they treat customers terribly even though they have the best and fastest coverage in my area or go with AT&T that has rather poor coverage in my area but has better support for WP

I am under no illusion that if and when I make the switch to AT&T from Verizon that everything is going to be all flowers and roses but the way Verizon has handled this whole Icon situation and how they treat WP in general it is hard to see myself continuing to be a VZW customer

I have to wait awhile till it will be feasible financially to make the switch to AT&T anyway so in the meantime I am stuck on Verizon with my "retired" Icon that hasn't had an official update from Verizon since 5/7/2014
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2014 09:45 AM
    I hear ya.

IMO, there is no advantage of going to another carrier if coverage is an issue. Kind of a necessity to be able to connect!
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-11-2014 09:51 AM
    And yet "still" nothing "official" from either Microsoft or Verizon? On got the Icon 16 days ago, previously the 928, and wouldn't trade it for anything else = awesome!

I just wonder when Microsoft will have the balls - with all of the Verizon "holding back" on WP - before they do something like become their own carrier via an MVNO - I recall that when Google bid that locked Verizon into "allowing competitive" scenarios with the 700 Mhz spectrum. I mean, how long will Microsoft let Verizon "screw them over" - and, US as a result?

Verizon Wireless - MVNO Program Overview
    10-11-2014 09:55 AM
    In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November.
    Ya think Verizon would notice?

Let's use the latest market share number based on sales we have available of 2.5%. Out of those, let's say that 10% (probably a generous assumption) care about updates or even have a clue that Cyan is out. Then, from those, let's assume that 10% (also generous, probably closer to 5%) have an upgrade available. Then, maybe 50% of those live where Verizon is the only viable option for coverage.

That leaves 0.0125%. Nah, Verizon won't notice. Probably more than that leave on a normal day anyway.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:14 AM
    And yet "still" nothing "official" from either Microsoft or Verizon? On got the Icon 16 days ago, previously the 928, and wouldn't trade it for anything else = awesome!

I just wonder when Microsoft will have the balls - with all of the Verizon "holding back" on WP - before they do something like become their own carrier via an MVNO - I recall that when Google bid that locked Verizon into "allowing competitive" scenarios with the 700 Mhz spectrum. I mean, how long will Microsoft let Verizon "screw them over" - and, US as a result?

Verizon Wireless - MVNO Program Overview
    I think what was tweeted from @VZWSupport is as "official" as it's going to get. Verizon has never been transparent with their decisions about anything.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:14 AM
    I think what was tweeted from @VZWSupport is as "official" as it's going to get. Verizon has never been transparent with their decisions about anything.
    MS could say something...wouldn't take much for Joe Belfiore to say something on Twitter.
    10-11-2014 10:23 AM
    MS could say something...wouldn't take much for Joe Belfiore to say something on Twitter.
    My guess is that Microsoft will stay out of it and let Verizon take the well-deserved heat. Not that they (Verizon) will care...
    SpaceyO likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:26 AM
    Total despair, so much pain. No hope for Cortana.
    krat0r13 likes this.
    10-11-2014 10:26 AM
    Come on Joe, what's the scoop here?
    10-11-2014 10:41 AM
    I'm wondering - perhaps naively and foolishly hoping would be a better way to say it - if this isn't some kind of bargaining chip in backroom negotiations about the release of the "930" in the USA?
    I'm realizing that what happens in the USA is not typical of how phones are released and marketed elsewhere in the cosmos.
    10-11-2014 02:27 PM

I so wish I could, but we live pretty far from any where and Verizon and AT&T are the only two options and AT&T does not have 4g where I live. But just for curiosity purposes, I went to AT&T's site yesterday. We have 4 phones on a share plan with Verizon w/ 12gb of data and we often go over (2 teen kids and metered data not a good match) and because of this our bill is usually insane. Our average bill for the past 6 months has been $360. Currently I can have 4 phones on AT&T with 30GB of DATA for $280!!!!! So we discussed how important is 4g when we are home, when in town AT&T has 4g and at home we have wifi! So gave Verizon a call and they want $1200 to get out of our contract! So my choices are limited to $1200 and MUCH slower service at or near home OR continue with horrible experience that is Verizon. I'm hoping that by May of 2016 when my contract is up AT&T will have better service here!
    10-11-2014 02:53 PM
    I went into the store today and made some fairly ridiculous demands, free Verizon Edge and a 20$ a month price reduction. Needless to say they weren't that interested in keeping me so it looks like I'm off to join my roommates on T-Mobile at the end of the month.

Does anyone here have experience with a Blu Win HD?
    10-11-2014 03:46 PM
    I went into the store today and made some fairly ridiculous demands, free Verizon Edge and a 20$ a month price reduction. Needless to say they weren't that interested in keeping me so it looks like I'm off to join my roommates on T-Mobile at the end of the month.

Does anyone here have experience with a Blu Win HD?
    Yeah I wouldn't give in to you either. While I can understand the fear of lack of updates coming for the icon, i don't see why you are entitled to any of that personally.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-11-2014 04:24 PM
    I went to the Verizon store here in Denver and the icon is still on display. They had no knowledge of any plans of scrapping the phone.
    10-11-2014 04:49 PM
    I so wish I could, but we live pretty far from any where and Verizon and AT&T are the only two options and AT&T does not have 4g where I live. But just for curiosity purposes, I went to AT&T's site yesterday. We have 4 phones on a share plan with Verizon w/ 12gb of data and we often go over (2 teen kids and metered data not a good match) and because of this our bill is usually insane. Our average bill for the past 6 months has been $360. Currently I can have 4 phones on AT&T with 30GB of DATA for $280!!!!! So we discussed how important is 4g when we are home, when in town AT&T has 4g and at home we have wifi! So gave Verizon a call and they want $1200 to get out of our contract! So my choices are limited to $1200 and MUCH slower service at or near home OR continue with horrible experience that is Verizon. I'm hoping that by May of 2016 when my contract is up AT&T will have better service here!
    My advice to you would be to lower your data allotment, be on WiFi when you're at home or as much as possible and run out your contract with Verizon.
    horseybob likes this.
    10-11-2014 05:04 PM
    You need to ser data limits on those phones ASAP! all you have to do is log on to your account online and cap their data so I shuts off at size you set so you don't over. Teach them to manage their use and that it does have a value and should be appreciated.
    10-11-2014 10:32 PM
    You need to ser data limits on those phones ASAP! all you have to do is log on to your account online and cap their data so I shuts off at size you set so you don't over. Teach them to manage their use and that it does have a value and should be appreciated.
    It's not just the kids, the husband and I often are just as guilty if not more. I have already set reasonable limits for the kids and for the most part they are pretty good at adhering to it. They watch their data if they think they are going to go over what they have been allotted they ask first. I only mentioned the kids because in the not so distant past our data needs were easier to maintain when there were just two phones. But the husband and I require data to do our jobs when we are on the road and working with customers. After my last post I did the math looking at my actual bills, with the great deal for 30gb's AT&T is offering and the months I have left with Verizon, if I paid the $1200 today, after 10 to 12 months I would break even and the next 8 to 10 months my savings would be $800 to $1000.00 when all is said and done! I'd come out ahead in the end and be able to use as much data as I need, maybe even stream a Netflix movie now and aging. So joining Ruined in a "switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day" isn't sounding that bad :). Just have to get over not having my Icon and having a little slower data (which would still be faster then our home Internet).
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-12-2014 02:41 AM
    The current T-Mobile hasn't released the cyan update for a single phone in the us. 925 users have an out, but not 521 users.

10-12-2014 08:48 PM
    This is the thing that does not make sense here. No word from Joe (or the Windows Phone group) and we still have Nokia doing adds on Twitter and Facebook for it... If it was official end of life, would you think Nokia would still be advertising it ?

All we can hope is Cyan/Denim is ready, they are clearing out all stock of the ICON with 8.0 on it to re-release it with 8.1. Others have said that and it is the only thing at this point that makes sense. They would not announce this in anyway because no one would buy it knowing a updated model was right around the corner.

Reps or techs are not going to pull phones out of the box, update them (login with a live account, update them) and place them back in the box, claiming as new. They just wont do it and they could not claim as new once it was turned on by someone else.

I'm sure a lot of people who watch TV (sports, or prime time shows) have seen the Cortana commercial, so people come in and ask about it, and the ICON does not have this feature available and Verizon wont give a date when they will see it.

Who honestly knows, You CANT trust a CSR, they normally do not know anything, Retired could mean a few things but, no one accept for Verizon corporate knows.

Has Verizon EVER, Retired a Android or iPhone device (current model) to release it again with a new update ?
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-13-2014 08:45 AM
122 12345