Icon to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
And yet "still" nothing "official" from either Microsoft or Verizon? On got the Icon 16 days ago, previously the 928, and wouldn't trade it for anything else = awesome!

I just wonder when Microsoft will have the balls - with all of the Verizon "holding back" on WP - before they do something like become their own carrier via an MVNO - I recall that when Google bid that locked Verizon into "allowing competitive" scenarios with the 700 Mhz spectrum. I mean, how long will Microsoft let Verizon "screw them over" - and, US as a result?

Verizon Wireless - MVNO Program Overview

I think what was tweeted from @VZWSupport is as "official" as it's going to get. Verizon has never been transparent with their decisions about anything.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering - perhaps naively and foolishly hoping would be a better way to say it - if this isn't some kind of bargaining chip in backroom negotiations about the release of the "930" in the USA?
I'm realizing that what happens in the USA is not typical of how phones are released and marketed elsewhere in the cosmos.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.

I so wish I could, but we live pretty far from any where and Verizon and AT&T are the only two options and AT&T does not have 4g where I live. But just for curiosity purposes, I went to AT&T's site yesterday. We have 4 phones on a share plan with Verizon w/ 12gb of data and we often go over (2 teen kids and metered data not a good match) and because of this our bill is usually insane. Our average bill for the past 6 months has been $360. Currently I can have 4 phones on AT&T with 30GB of DATA for $280!!!!! So we discussed how important is 4g when we are home, when in town AT&T has 4g and at home we have wifi! So gave Verizon a call and they want $1200 to get out of our contract! So my choices are limited to $1200 and MUCH slower service at or near home OR continue with horrible experience that is Verizon. I'm hoping that by May of 2016 when my contract is up AT&T will have better service here!

Broad and Market

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I went into the store today and made some fairly ridiculous demands, free Verizon Edge and a 20$ a month price reduction. Needless to say they weren't that interested in keeping me so it looks like I'm off to join my roommates on T-Mobile at the end of the month.

Does anyone here have experience with a Blu Win HD?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I went into the store today and made some fairly ridiculous demands, free Verizon Edge and a 20$ a month price reduction. Needless to say they weren't that interested in keeping me so it looks like I'm off to join my roommates on T-Mobile at the end of the month.

Does anyone here have experience with a Blu Win HD?
Yeah I wouldn't give in to you either. While I can understand the fear of lack of updates coming for the icon, i don't see why you are entitled to any of that personally.

Aethies

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I went to the Verizon store here in Denver and the icon is still on display. They had no knowledge of any plans of scrapping the phone.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I so wish I could, but we live pretty far from any where and Verizon and AT&T are the only two options and AT&T does not have 4g where I live. But just for curiosity purposes, I went to AT&T's site yesterday. We have 4 phones on a share plan with Verizon w/ 12gb of data and we often go over (2 teen kids and metered data not a good match) and because of this our bill is usually insane. Our average bill for the past 6 months has been $360. Currently I can have 4 phones on AT&T with 30GB of DATA for $280!!!!! So we discussed how important is 4g when we are home, when in town AT&T has 4g and at home we have wifi! So gave Verizon a call and they want $1200 to get out of our contract! So my choices are limited to $1200 and MUCH slower service at or near home OR continue with horrible experience that is Verizon. I'm hoping that by May of 2016 when my contract is up AT&T will have better service here!
My advice to you would be to lower your data allotment, be on WiFi when you're at home or as much as possible and run out your contract with Verizon.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You need to ser data limits on those phones ASAP! all you have to do is log on to your account online and cap their data so I shuts off at size you set so you don't over. Teach them to manage their use and that it does have a value and should be appreciated.

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
You need to ser data limits on those phones ASAP! all you have to do is log on to your account online and cap their data so I shuts off at size you set so you don't over. Teach them to manage their use and that it does have a value and should be appreciated.

It's not just the kids, the husband and I often are just as guilty if not more. I have already set reasonable limits for the kids and for the most part they are pretty good at adhering to it. They watch their data if they think they are going to go over what they have been allotted they ask first. I only mentioned the kids because in the not so distant past our data needs were easier to maintain when there were just two phones. But the husband and I require data to do our jobs when we are on the road and working with customers. After my last post I did the math looking at my actual bills, with the great deal for 30gb's AT&T is offering and the months I have left with Verizon, if I paid the $1200 today, after 10 to 12 months I would break even and the next 8 to 10 months my savings would be $800 to $1000.00 when all is said and done! I'd come out ahead in the end and be able to use as much data as I need, maybe even stream a Netflix movie now and aging. So joining Ruined in a "switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day" isn't sounding that bad :). Just have to get over not having my Icon and having a little slower data (which would still be faster then our home Internet).

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The current T-Mobile hasn't released the cyan update for a single phone in the us. 925 users have an out, but not 521 users.

Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
MS could say something...wouldn't take much for Joe Belfiore to say something on Twitter.

This is the thing that does not make sense here. No word from Joe (or the Windows Phone group) and we still have Nokia doing adds on Twitter and Facebook for it... If it was official end of life, would you think Nokia would still be advertising it ?

All we can hope is Cyan/Denim is ready, they are clearing out all stock of the ICON with 8.0 on it to re-release it with 8.1. Others have said that and it is the only thing at this point that makes sense. They would not announce this in anyway because no one would buy it knowing a updated model was right around the corner.

Reps or techs are not going to pull phones out of the box, update them (login with a live account, update them) and place them back in the box, claiming as new. They just wont do it and they could not claim as new once it was turned on by someone else.

I'm sure a lot of people who watch TV (sports, or prime time shows) have seen the Cortana commercial, so people come in and ask about it, and the ICON does not have this feature available and Verizon wont give a date when they will see it.

Who honestly knows, You CANT trust a CSR, they normally do not know anything, Retired could mean a few things but, no one accept for Verizon corporate knows.

Has Verizon EVER, Retired a Android or iPhone device (current model) to release it again with a new update ?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm wondering - perhaps naively and foolishly hoping would be a better way to say it - if this isn't some kind of bargaining chip in backroom negotiations about the release of the "930" in the USA?
I'm realizing that what happens in the USA is not typical of how phones are released and marketed elsewhere in the cosmos.

In the US, Verizon is the cosmos. They have the largest coverage of LTE and the worst customer service and support of any of the US carriers. To them, it's take it or leave it. They truly don't care one way or the other.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, there IS a new 8XX series phone that Microsoft announced in early September that is "reportedly" coming to all US carriers ... it is, as I recall, referred to as a 4.5 inch "mid- tier flagship" and to replace the aging 928.

I "think" this one is what the Cortana ads will address?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I had no trouble seeing the difference between 720p on the 928 and 1080p on the Icon. 720p is a downgrade. Not sure about 1080p vs 1440p on the 1520 vs the rumored successor (1525/1530). The screen is bigger which means that there is a higher possibility of seeing pixels.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Just so everyone does NOT think that Verizon doesn't screw with MORE than just Windows Phone ... check this out ---- and REMEMBER that this IS the same "Verizon" that initially SHUNNED Jobs and the iPhone and "got LOCKED OUT for 3 YEARS - or was it 5 YEARS"?

So, as pissed as I am - and we all are - about the ICON "retired" situation ... just look at the what we are dealing with here !

Apple Put Its Own SIM Card in iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon