Icon to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
re: [Icon] "Rumored" to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

A couple of possible scenarios:
1. Verizon isn't really behind Windows Phone.
2. There is a new flagship phone coming out sometime this month. 830 isn't a flagship phone. I haven't heard any rumors of a new flagship, so not real confident.
3. The Icon has some serious design issues with Wi-Fi and they've decided to cut their losses. It's antenna gate all over, but there are so few of us Windows Phone fans that VZW just decided to can it.

I lean toward the third scenario as my 13 day old Icon definitely doesn't have the Wi-Fi reception and throughput that I got with the 928 I traded in or the 822 I bought on eBay. Even my HTC 8X has better reception.

I love the Icon, with exception of the Wi-Fi reception and throughput. The screen size and clarity of the 1080p display is amazing. Camera is fantastic. Performance is buttery smooth. Battery life is all day. Materials are first rate. But the Wi-Fi sucks.

I'm debating on taking mine back. I have through tomorrow, but there is no other phone I want. I'm not a fan of the metal HTC One M8 and why would I want to financially support Samsung. Lumias are the best Windows Phone.

Very sad. Hope there is a positive surprise in store for us.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
re: [Icon] "Rumored" to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

For what its worth, i literally just got off the phone with Verizon. I'm paraphrasing but this is what i was told. The icon is not being retired for another year. The reason why its not listed on the web site is because they are out of stock. Now that sounds a little fishy to me but the bottom line is. Until Verizon announces it all other sources are rumors. Hopefully someone can clear this up.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I've pretty much decided to leave Verizon and go to T-Mobile. Except that I'm just waiting to see what Windows Phone models they get.

Honestly, your best bet is AT&T at least they support their Windows Phones. T-Mobile hasn't released cyan for the 925 & 521 (both of my phones) and have stopped supporting the 810 all together ( it's been EOL since last year and hasn't received an update since Lumia Amber). Depending on the cellular signal where you live, and you want GSM, AT&T is the way to go.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
You can get non t-mobile phones on t-mobile and they'll get the updates. Unfortunately T-mobile is crap in my area. Until recently Verizon was the only carrier that worked. Now AT&T put an antenna on our water tower and it works as well.

Honestly, your best bet is AT&T at least they support their Windows Phones. T-Mobile hasn't released cyan for the 925 & 521 (both of my phones) and have stopped supporting the 810 all together ( it's been EOL since last year and hasn't received an update since Lumia Amber). Depending on the cellular signal where you live, and you want GSM, AT&T is the way to go.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to the Lumia 822 and no one really gave a sh*t. This happens. Newer models come out, old ones go away. This doesn't mean they won't continue to support it through updates. They've been good about updates for my "obsolete" 822.
did the 822 not receive portico, amber, and black?
the icon has yet to receive a single one.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I hate to say it, but Verizon did the same thing to the BlackBerry Z30. It also was a low selling Verizon exclusive. Maybe Verizon will be getting the 830?
Yeah... they might be getting 830.. then their CSRs will still ask you to buy iPhones when you go to buy it.... and then by start of next summer VZW will say its a low number in sell and hence they are retiring it !!!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I really think carriers want to kill Windows phone

Yes, that is why VZW carries the HTC phone and still stock the 928, and TMobile and AT&T have announced their new WP additions. That absolutely means they are trying to kill it. People need to drop the paranoid stuff and accept that perhaps this phone was just a flop or there are problems with it that have not been publicized....

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to the Lumia 822 and no one really gave a sh*t. This happens. Newer models come out, old ones go away. This doesn't mean they won't continue to support it through updates. They've been good about updates for my "obsolete" 822.

The 822 was still listed on VZW's website until quite recently and it how old? How does that constitute the same thing?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A couple of possible scenarios:
1. Verizon isn't really behind Windows Phone.
2. There is a new flagship phone coming out sometime this month. 830 isn't a flagship phone. I haven't heard any rumors of a new flagship, so not real confident.
3. The Icon has some serious design issues with Wi-Fi and they've decided to cut their losses. It's antenna gate all over, but there are so few of us Windows Phone fans that VZW just decided to can it.

I lean toward the third scenario as my 13 day old Icon definitely doesn't have the Wi-Fi reception and throughput that I got with the 928 I traded in or the 822 I bought on eBay. Even my HTC 8X has better reception.

I love the Icon, with exception of the Wi-Fi reception and throughput. The screen size and clarity of the 1080p display is amazing. Camera is fantastic. Performance is buttery smooth. Battery life is all day. Materials are first rate. But the Wi-Fi sucks.

I'm debating on taking mine back. I have through tomorrow, but there is no other phone I want. I'm not a fan of the metal HTC One M8 and why would I want to financially support Samsung. Lumias are the best Windows Phone.

Very sad. Hope there is a positive surprise in store for us.

Of your three scenarios, I think the third is probably the case but people are so obsessed with wanting to see something sinister or paranoid they don't want to consider the obvious. VZW does not abruptly retire phones that would still be classified as new. The fact they have done so suggests to me 1) it has sold very poorly, and 2) it has a very high service/return rate. The fact is the much older 928 is still for sale on their site. In fact, there are two HTC models, the 928, and a Samsung phone all available on their website. Says to me there is a probably problem with the Icon and they do not view it as worth the headache to address.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For what its worth, i literally just got off the phone with Verizon. I'm paraphrasing but this is what i was told. The icon is not being retired for another year. The reason why its not listed on the web site is because they are out of stock. Now that sounds a little fishy to me but the bottom line is. Until Verizon announces it all other sources are rumors. Hopefully someone can clear this up.

VZW's official support already posted via Twitter that it has been retired. That is usually a pretty definitive source from a company that plays everything very close to the vest....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
VZW's official support already posted via Twitter that it has been retired. That is usually a pretty definitive source from a company that plays everything very close to the vest....

One time VZW's official support on twitter told me that Windows Mobile was an excellent platform and that they love their Windows Mobile users.

That was 2013.

Yup... Sounds like they know their stuff.

My 6 year old niece knows more about Verizon's business practices than Verizon's customer support.

mpl175

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm just saying that's what a Verizon rep told me. So I'm waiting for an official announcement.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Well there is part of your problem. Windows Mobile hasn't existed for years. The last version was 6.5 I believe back in 2010. Windows Phone 7 is completely different. Windows Phone 8 is again completely different.

One time VZW's official support on twitter told me that Windows Mobile was an excellent platform and that they love their Windows Mobile users.

This was 2013.

Yup... Sounds like they know their stuff.

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
More than likely, if it is retired, it's a combination of few things. More than likely being lower than expected sales, internal competition from the HTC One, which may be selling better (no one knows). And of course, the device is an exclusive, for whatever reason, this is another example as to why those things suck and Google and Apple stepped out of that game ages ago.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't buy the sales. The Icon on 8.1 DP is awesome! If they wanted to increase sales, release 8.1 and the firmware updates. Windows 8 is functional but 8.1 is on par with the other OS. Verizon has made it clear that WP is not a priority.

wescoerg

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the sales were awful. They weren't to iPhone/Samsung numbers, but they were sold out of one color or another online several times. Also, Microsoft stores seemed to be occasionally out of stock.

The brick and mortar Verizon sales were most likely abysmal, but I think you can say that about just about everything that isn't an iPhone or Samsung.

If they truly cancelled it, it's about bugs, as stated before about the wifi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb