Icon to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
My 822 has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years now and I'm running the lastest 8.1 DP. Same for my wife's 928. I thought about using either of our upgrades for an Icon, but read too much about the poor wifi, lack of Glance, etc. The M8 is a beautiful phone, but I couldn't imagine being without wireless charging or Glance on my devices. C'mon, Microsoft, step up your game with Verizon, we're long overdue!

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
That page hasn't been updated in forever. Look...it's still a great phone and if VZW simply gave us some info I'd feel a lot better about it...even if was info I don't want to hear.

That said, if it didn't sell, it's because they made no effort to promote it or support it. If that was an Android phone it would be flying off the shelves.

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I can shed some insight on this but not give any of you an concrete answer. I check the Verizon website constantly (some weird OCD thing I think). Here are some hard facts:
-The Icon has been posted as back ordered 3-4 times in the past 2-3 months now on their website. Sometimes backordered by a week and sometimes more.
-It is hitting about 1000 reviews in less than 8 months. That is about twice as fast as the 928. I usually associate number of reviews to overall sales. True its not a super reliable metric but it reflects the general sentiment of the carrier. As a reference, The galaxy S5 has 8000 reviews.
-The Icon is still holding strong at 4.5 stars even with 1000 reviews. Most tend to start creeping down to 4 stars (most windows phones go below 4) after 200 reviews

I think Microsoft/Verizon actually underestimated the demand. With the 930 rolling out everywhere (I'm assuming its the same manufacturer), supplies are probably even thinner. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason is more nefarious but I hope its more because of good reasons not bad ones...

Last edited:

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Yes, it could be just a low initial order by Verizon and no interest in placing a new order for phones. I know on my business account, I tried to order a white Icon this week and they only have black. I've ordered white in the past.

Aaron Yawn

May 2, 2013
Visit site
So Jwpear - I am in agreement with you about the wifi issue. I got an ICON in April and had wifi problems for months. I finally called and complained to Verizon and had them send me a replacement. I got the replacement yesterday and I can tell you that the wifi issue appears to be mainly associated with 8.1 dev preview and no Cyan firmware. I tested all the areas in my home where signal was dropping on the old phone and on 8.0 I avg 2 bars more compared to after dev preview update. The real issue here is Verizon with holding Cyan for this long. I firmly believe that the Cyan firmware will significantly improve wifi performance while using dev preview. I also think MS need to rework their wifi drivers and all of my windows devices tablet laptop and so forth have less than desirable wifi since 8.1 release.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
My husband and I both ordered Icons recently from Verizonwireless.com- him 2 weeks ago, and I just got mine on Wednesday. Neither of us had the experience of seeing it being listed as backordered, and we looked at the site repeatedly before ordering. He got his delivered for free overnight, and mine came 2 days after ordering. And we saved fifty dollars off the listed price with a coupon code found through Google and got ours for fifty bucks instead of one hundred.

Last edited:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Its pretty obvious Verizon is likely just taking money from Microsoft and then doing the minimal contractual obligations. Their heart and soul remains dedicated to Android with iPhone also being offered to iOS fans. Windows Phone is just a way to make money off Microsoft and Verizon probably could care less if it dies off or flourishes as they are all-in on Android anyway.

Microsoft should continue dealing with them, but make the contractual stipulation much more comprehensive then they currently are. And, consumers who really like Windows Phone should switch carriers if Verizon continues this behavior. Don't succumb to getting an iPhone or Android simply because it is more convenient for you - switch carriers and send a message.

In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November. Yes, I realize T-Mobile abandoned the 810 but that was old T-Mobile.

100% agree. Even if Verizon ends up not retiring the icon & releasing Cyan/8.1, we need to take a stand.

If you're a fan of WP8, it's time to switch carriers. If you're just a casual Verizon user, than do what you'd like. But enough is enough.

I'm on AT&T in a few months or as soon as AT&T starts paying ETF's again.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
100% agree. Even if Verizon ends up not retiring the icon & releasing Cyan/8.1, we need to take a stand.

If you're a fan of WP8, it's time to switch carriers. If you're just a casual Verizon user, than do what you'd like. But enough is enough.

I'm on AT&T in a few months or as soon as AT&T starts paying ETF's again.

Unfortunately, for some of us, area coverage keeps us tied to Verizon. And I'm quite sure they know that is the reason more people don't jump ship. :unhappy:

nolan533

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I would leave Verizon right now but AT&T has no coverage here.
I would love to see AT&T add wifi calling. I would be off Verizon like a shot.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, for some of us, area coverage keeps us tied to Verizon. And I'm quite sure they know that is the reason more people don't jump ship. :unhappy:

my wonderful wireless carrier choices are do I continue to dump money into Verizon's coffers while they treat customers terribly even though they have the best and fastest coverage in my area or go with AT&T that has rather poor coverage in my area but has better support for WP

I am under no illusion that if and when I make the switch to AT&T from Verizon that everything is going to be all flowers and roses but the way Verizon has handled this whole Icon situation and how they treat WP in general it is hard to see myself continuing to be a VZW customer

I have to wait awhile till it will be feasible financially to make the switch to AT&T anyway so in the meantime I am stuck on Verizon with my "retired" Icon that hasn't had an official update from Verizon since 5/7/2014

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I hear ya.

IMO, there is no advantage of going to another carrier if coverage is an issue. Kind of a necessity to be able to connect! :straight:

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
And yet "still" nothing "official" from either Microsoft or Verizon? On got the Icon 16 days ago, previously the 928, and wouldn't trade it for anything else = awesome!

I just wonder when Microsoft will have the balls - with all of the Verizon "holding back" on WP - before they do something like become their own carrier via an MVNO - I recall that when Google bid that locked Verizon into "allowing competitive" scenarios with the 700 Mhz spectrum. I mean, how long will Microsoft let Verizon "screw them over" - and, US as a result?

Verizon Wireless - MVNO Program Overview

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In fact, I think it would be cool if we organized a switch to AT&T/T-Mobile day depending on who gets the phones this November.

Ya think Verizon would notice? :wink:

Let's use the latest market share number based on sales we have available of 2.5%. Out of those, let's say that 10% (probably a generous assumption) care about updates or even have a clue that Cyan is out. Then, from those, let's assume that 10% (also generous, probably closer to 5%) have an upgrade available. Then, maybe 50% of those live where Verizon is the only viable option for coverage.

That leaves 0.0125%. Nah, Verizon won't notice. Probably more than that leave on a normal day anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon