Icon to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
They said they were going to sell the stock they have left- hence, the "limited time". Looks like they're trying to hurry it along.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I just got this in the mail from Verizon. What? Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?
View attachment 85148

LOL..

Verizon is pretty clueless, they always have been.. They do that same garbage with Android phones as well! The only phone to get any Verizon love is the iPhone!

I have one line on Verizon, 2 lines on AT&T and one line on T-Mobile.. I might be moving the Verizon line to AT&T once the Lumia 830 is released next month and wipe my paws clean of Verizon..

I had kept the Verizon line just for Windows Phone but I don't think they are a viable option any more..

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Quick...for a limited time get the device we've never really embraced and probably won't support going forward. But we're Verizon...so it's cool.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
They have a label for the Icon on a display at my local store. They even have a white Nokia above it. .... It's a 928, hahaha

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh by the way. Now that I have a 1520.3, I can confirm that 1080p on a 6" screen is still "retina". I can't see the pixels. It looks just as sharp and crisp as the Icon. However since its an LCD I like it better since it will never burn in. My Icon was just starting to get indications of burn in. It was minor, but that's after 6 months. My 928 had it bad after 1 year.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh by the way. Now that I have a 1520.3, I can confirm that 1080p on a 6" screen is still "retina". I can't see the pixels. It looks just as sharp and crisp as the Icon. However since its an LCD I like it better since it will never burn in. My Icon was just starting to get indications of burn in. It was minor, but that's after 6 months. My 928 had it bad after 1 year.

Retina is just a term that Apple invented. Anything above 312(or to be safe 326 PPI) is good enough for the regular consumer.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I know that. That's why I used quotes. My personal definition is if I can't see the pixels. On a 6" screen with 1080p I can't see the pixels. Therefore I see it as "Retina". Ironically many of the iphones by my definition aren't retina as they aren't even 720p and I know that isn't.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I know that. That's why I used quotes. My personal definition is if I can't see the pixels. On a 6" screen with 1080p I can't see the pixels. Therefore I see it as "Retina". Ironically many of the iphones by my definition aren't retina as they aren't even 720p and I know that isn't.

Somewhere around 325 dpi is where the human eye cannot see the pixels.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
And yet "still" nothing "official" from either Microsoft or Verizon?

I was at the Microsoft Store here in Hawaii yesterday getting a glass screen protector for my SP3. I was talking to the manager about Windows Phones, and mentioned that Verizon retired the Icon. She told me that she talks to the corporate offices on a regular basis, and that this info was news to her. She was also rather perplexed as to why Verizon would retire the newer Icon instead of the older 928. She did state that as far as Microsoft was concerned the Icon was NOT retired, and that you can still get them through Microsoft stores and online. When it comes to info about Microsoft products, I will give more credence to comments from a Microsoft employee than from a Verizon or other third party rep.

westex74

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Icon] "Rumored" to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

As a Blackberry guy that just had to get the Z30, Verizon didn't even stock the phone in its stores. You had to order online. As if a BlackBerry device didn't have enough hurdles to overcome.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Icon] "Rumored" to be RETIRED after less than 1 year?

As a Blackberry guy that just had to get the Z30, Verizon didn't even stock the phone in its stores. You had to order online. As if a BlackBerry device didn't have enough hurdles to overcome.

I have a friend that uses Blackberry on Verizon so I understand your situation

as a WP user I understand very well how abysmal Verizon treats WP on it's network and in it's stores but I feel sorry for him because Verizon treats Blackberry worse than WP

it's all about droid and iPhone for Verizon but they are more than happy to take Microsoft's and Blackberry's money while doing the bare minimum to honor contractual obligations to those two companies

Last edited:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh by the way when I activated my AT&T service one of the things I noticed was that a 1520 was prominently displayed. The sales people mentioned that they noticed how much their windows phone customers love windows phone. I don't believe this was a corporate AT&T store but an authorized store. While I was there a woman came in with a nokia and had camera issues. Her kids did something to it, but its cool to actually see another windows phone in use by another person.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, no 8.1 for us poor schucks with the Icon.... Saying goodbye to WP today. Note 4 should be here any minute now.

not exactly I have 8.1.1 DP running fine on my Icon now with some minor annoyances because of having to use black firmware, it remains to be seen if Verizon will ever release cyan/denim firmware or 8.1 officially though

Verizon is trying their best to get me to switch back to droid or slip over to the dark side and use an iPhone with the way they treat WP but I am not going to do it, I like the WP platform and as long as WP is around I will continue to use it

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Switch to AT&T if you can. They actually embrace it. I did and my new 1520 has Cyan and works very well.

not exactly I have 8.1.1 DP running fine on my Icon now with some minor annoyances because of having to use black firmware, it remains to be seen if Verizon will ever release cyan/denim firmware or 8.1 officially though

Verizon is trying their best to get me to switch back to droid or slip over to the dark side and use an iPhone with the way they treat WP but I am not going to do it, I like the WP platform and as long as WP is around I will continue to use it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99