The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99

View Poll Results: Do we still keep our icon's with us..?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes :)

20 80.00%
  • No :(

5 20.00%
11-08-2014 11:37 PM
75 123
tools
    On another thread, someone posted that they have a IT contact at their company who has a Verizon contact, and they were told all updates from Verizon will be out mid- November. They did not have specifics on which devices will get which updates though.
    paul swann1 likes this.
    10-15-2014 06:14 PM
    On another thread, someone posted that they have a IT contact at their company who has a Verizon contact, and they were told all updates from Verizon will be out mid- November. They did not have specifics on which devices will get which updates though.
    Hope icon will be in the list.
    paul swann1 likes this.
    10-15-2014 06:18 PM
    Spoke with a Verizon rep and he said the Nokia rep was in their store and said Verizon has had 8.1 for months and is refusing to release it because of some issues with the firmware and their system that has yet to be solved. Kind of makes sense actually and explains the silence of both Microsoft and Verizon. Microsoft wouldn't want to admit issues and Verizon cant give a date because nothing is resolved. Since the M8 has 8.1.1 its not the software, I assume it may actually be the cyan firmware that is the issue. Anyway, it's irrelevant to me now, I got tired of all this and got a Galaxy 5 yesterday. It is not as easy to use as a WP, but man is it nice to a good music interface for my collection and actual apps with full features.
    10-19-2014 01:06 PM
    If there really was an issue (which I doubt since the 930 works just fine and is almost identical), then they should have told us. Silence is not acceptable.
    So I've ordered my 1520.3 and should get it this week. Good bye Verizon and good riddance.

Spoke with a Verizon rep and he said the Nokia rep was in their store and said Verizon has had 8.1 for months and is refusing to release it because of some issues with the firmware and their system that has yet to be solved. Kind of makes sense actually and explains the silence of both Microsoft and Verizon. Microsoft wouldn't want to admit issues and Verizon cant give a date because nothing is resolved. Since the M8 has 8.1.1 its not the software, I assume it may actually be the cyan firmware that is the issue. Anyway, it's irrelevant to me now, I got tired of all this and got a Galaxy 5 yesterday. It is not as easy to use as a WP, but man is it nice to a good music interface for my collection and actual apps with full features.
    theefman likes this.
    10-21-2014 11:01 AM
    I will keep my Icon until the contract cancellation fee is tolerable, then I'll move to AT&T and get a 1520....that is unless VZ gets off their azz and gives us Cyan and 8.1 in the mean time. But when it is time to bail, I will go into a VZ store or over the phone to cancel so a living, breathing rep can hear me tell them that after 12 years with VZ, I'm dumping them because their support for WP is atrocious and pathetic. Then I'll post it on their twitter, facebook, and user forums. It may not make a bit a difference or impact to them, but it's about the principle and it matters to me.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    10-21-2014 11:07 AM
    Unless Cyan is required for 8.1 to be installed on the Icon, this is still unacceptable. They could still release 8.1 until Cyan gets fixed. And on top of this, retire the Icon but still keep the older, less capable 928? Does not make sense.
    10-21-2014 11:12 AM
    I just got my Icon as an updated contract device 3 days ago too. I certainly was hoping for the firmware and Windows updates, but since I haven't read that we're not going to get them, I really don't want to return the phone because I don't see an attractive Windows Phone alternative at Verizon right now. I guess I'm sticking with the Icon at this point and hoping for the best.
    10-21-2014 11:21 AM
    I personally believe it is. I've heard of many people having DP issues especially on the Icon. In every single case (except the Icon which doesn't have Cyan) Cyan fixed all the issues they were having.

Also the Icon supports various features that will not work with Black including bluetooth 4.0. Its like having a computer with a CD-Rom drive in the early '90s but you weren't supplied with the CD-Rom driver so the drive is useless.

Unless Cyan is required for 8.1 to be installed on the Icon, this is still unacceptable. They could still release 8.1 until Cyan gets fixed. And on top of this, retire the Icon but still keep the older, less capable 928? Does not make sense.
    10-21-2014 01:05 PM
    "Almost identical" is a big almost. The radios in the Icon and 930 are vastly different and the issue of getting Cyan released is to make sure those radios work on Verizon's network up to Verizon standards. The 930 having Cyan has nothing to do with the Icon not.
    10-22-2014 09:20 PM
    If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Motorola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blushrts717; 11-12-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    10-23-2014 10:03 AM
    I suspect the only difference is the radio and the embedded CDMA keys in the firmware. If that's really the case (and I suspect it is) then the 930 is proof that there is nothing wrong with Cyan on the Icon. I'm 99.9999% sure that Verizon is just being an ***. So screw them. I don't even care if my Icon ever gets the update anymore. I'm supposed to get a 1520.3 today and over the weekend I'm on AT&T as a result.

"Almost identical" is a big almost. The radios in the Icon and 930 are vastly different and the issue of getting Cyan released is to make sure those radios work on Verizon's network up to Verizon standards. The 930 having Cyan has nothing to do with the Icon not.
    10-23-2014 10:49 AM
    If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Mororola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.
    i keep finding myself looking at motorola myself, a droid turbo mini would be cool.
    10-23-2014 11:39 AM
    Actually the iphone is the only one that's guaranteed provided you don't have anything 2 years old. If Verizon doesn't cooperate, no android phone would get updated firmware either.

If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Mororola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.
    10-23-2014 12:41 PM
    i keep finding myself looking at motorola myself, a droid turbo mini would be cool.
    I'm getting that turbo!!!!
    10-23-2014 03:25 PM
    I personally believe it is. I've heard of many people having DP issues especially on the Icon. In every single case (except the Icon which doesn't have Cyan) Cyan fixed all the issues they were having.

Also the Icon supports various features that will not work with Black including bluetooth 4.0. Its like having a computer with a CD-Rom drive in the early '90s but you weren't supplied with the CD-Rom driver so the drive is useless.

How can this be true. If Cyan hasn't been released it can't fix all the DP problems people are having on the ICON.
    10-23-2014 04:31 PM
    FYI. I was at the Microsoft Store today getting a glass screen protector for my SP3. I mentioned that Verizon retired the Icon. She looked surprised and told me that it is NOT retired. She also said that it still available at Microsoft stores. She was a manager who talks to corporate on a regular basis.

I usually give the Microsoft store reps comments more credence versus a Verizon rep.
    10-23-2014 07:38 PM
    Sold my Icon last week and been on my Nexus 5 with T-Mobile since then. Love WP 8.1 but being back on a great android device is honestly much better. Icon and nexus 5 are very close to each other, better camera on Icon but I much prefer the weight and display on the Nexus.

Best thing has really been apps, in the past month I've had two paid for apps removed from the windows phone app store: Hipchatter (Hipchat) and MyBucks (Starbucks), it really sucks being in such a position with windows phone and in my humble opinion it's just not worth it. Why should we put up with unreliable and insecure third party apps when there are phones that provide first party support at the same price? It no longer makes sense to me.

Throwing on top ****ty update support just makes it all the less worth while. Looking at the new MS under Nadella, it's becoming obvious that to get the best out of MS you need to own an iOS or Android device.

Its been great to get a week off from checking the Cyan on Icon threads that have been going for at least three months now.

For the record I do actually have Cyan and it's on a dirt cheap 635, terrible compared to the Icon and all the more galling that it's not available from Verizon.

Best of luck to everyone sticking with the Icon.
    Last edited by khador; 10-23-2014 at 09:19 PM.
    10-23-2014 08:20 PM
    The Icon isn't the only Nokia phone that runs DP. On other phones that had random issues with DP, once Cyan was released those problems disappeared. The fact that the 930 seems to "just work" is also a strong indicator since its basically an Icon with Cyan installed.

How can this be true. If Cyan hasn't been released it can't fix all the DP problems people are having on the ICON.
    10-24-2014 10:18 AM
    So far loving the 1520.3 (without service). I'm going to try to get that setup today after work.
    10-24-2014 10:19 AM
    I sold my icon today. Feeling relax ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    11-06-2014 01:47 AM
    A little irrelevant history. Had Windows Mobile 6.5 on the Touch Pro 2. (first smartphone owned) Went android with the Evo 4G when it was released. Been on android with HTC One X and One M7. I had been wanting to try Windows Phone. Jumped on the Icon a few months ago and first time with Verizon. I like many things about the Windows platform. The blaring lack of apps is something that doesn't affect me as much as it does most people, however I'm very annoyed and slow updated from carriers. It was something that irritated the life out of me with the One X. I'm considering a jump to the iPhone 6 plus or the Nexus 6 soon. I'll sell the Icon and possibly dump Verizon in the process.... as much money as carriers soak us there is no excuse for the treatment we get. No matter what course I take I hope to see Microsoft gain and prosper in the mobile realm.
    paul swann1 likes this.
    11-06-2014 04:02 PM
    I sold my icon today. Feeling relax ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    How much did you sell it for
    11-07-2014 08:48 AM
    Good things come to those who wait.
    paul swann1 likes this.
    11-07-2014 09:02 AM
    In the meantime my AT&T bill is less than my Verizon bill and I have a 1520.3 with Cyan. Better phone, slightly better service at home, slightly worse service at work. I'm happy with that.

Good things come to those who wait.
    11-07-2014 03:36 PM
    Actually the iphone is the only one that's guaranteed provided you don't have anything 2 years old. If Verizon doesn't cooperate, no android phone would get updated firmware either.
    Except all the technology.
    11-08-2014 11:37 PM
75 123