01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    Wow... This is ridiculous. I'm seriously tempted to pay my ETF and get the heck off Verizon.
    Verizon is abhorrent with post-launch support, but they got some dope hardware.

Today, they announced a Motorola exclusive with nearly identical specs to the Nexus 6 but with the screen measuring in at a more manageable 5.2".

Sound familiar?
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-28-2014 03:36 PM
    Yes, and according to the article, T-Mobile back tracked, pulled the original post, and no updates are actually being pushed.
    My comment was from the T-Mobile 925 forum here where people posted screenshots of getting prompted to install 8.1. Some are getting it. But more importantly us ICON users are not. :(
    10-28-2014 03:39 PM
    We're not the only ones. Don't forget the 928 as well as the people on Metro PCS. Evidently, the 1320 for Cricket got it sometime a while back. I'm not sure when. And the only people on T-Mobile who will get it will be the 925 and 521 users. For the other T-Mobile phones, it is unavailable.
    11B1P likes this.
    10-28-2014 04:27 PM
    The 925 on T-Mobile is getting it tomorrow apparently. Convinced now more than ever leaving Verizon over this was the right choice.
    10-28-2014 04:40 PM
    We're not the only ones. Don't forget the 928 as well as the people on Metro PCS. Evidently, the 1320 for Cricket got it sometime a while back. I'm not sure when. And the only people on T-Mobile who will get it will be the 925 and 521 users. For the other T-Mobile phones, it is unavailable.
    I'm getting sick of hearing this...

Verizon is not comparable to Metro PCS, Cricket, or even T-Mobile. Verizon is the largest, highest grossing, most profitable carrier in the United States. That's a kin to comparing your neighborhood "mom and pop" grocery store to Whole Foods. The only fair comparison that can be made is AT&T, who is a distant second in terms of net income.

There's no defense for Verizon. They're abandoning their partnership with Microsoft and treating their WP customers like ****.
    10-28-2014 05:20 PM
    Who says I'm defending Verizon? I'm just trying to put things into perspective. Everybody wants their stuff immediately if not sooner. That is now the American way... Whining and complaining about a perceived entitlement causes nothing but stress and worry.
    bmetelsky and OldMillXxX like this.
    10-28-2014 06:01 PM
    Who says I'm defending Verizon? I'm just trying to put things into perspective. Everybody wants their stuff immediately if not sooner. That is now the American way... Whining and complaining about a perceived entitlement causes nothing but stress and worry.
    And I'm correcting this "perspective."

If you think I'm losing sleep over this, you're wrong. But Verizon is doing a grave injustice to Microsoft and WP8. And we shouldn't be sugar coating it.

Verizon is the largest telecommunications company in the US. And they're acting like we, the consumer, do not exist. It's their right to do so. And it's our prerogative, as members of a (pseudo)capitalist society, to fight back.
    10-28-2014 06:10 PM
    And I'm correcting this "perspective."

If you think I'm losing sleep over this, you're wrong. But Verizon is doing a grave injustice to Microsoft and WP8. And we shouldn't be sugar coating it.
    Unconvincing prognosis.

Until one calls the other out, both are responsible. Fcuk the lot of em.
    bmetelsky and DavidinCT like this.
    10-28-2014 06:20 PM
    Whining and complaining is the only way to get their attention publicly... A few thousand of us leaving silently does nothing to their bottom line. If you leave because you get better value elsewhere, that is a good reason, but if you leave only to make a statement, it's useless. So we're left with whining and complaining. The Lumia 521 and 925 are popular devices and I'm glad they are getting updated. There is no excuse for Verizon not to do the same, none.
    Tjarren, DavidinCT and OwenDL like this.
    10-28-2014 06:47 PM
    They sell extensively in other countries as 930
    Not exactly, The 930 is a different model. Close, but different.
    10-28-2014 07:02 PM
    Unconvincing prognosis.

Until one calls the other out, both are responsible. Fcuk the lot of em.
    100% agreed. I switched to VZW for the Icon. You can bet I'll be somewhere else when my 2 years is up and more than likely back on a crappy iPhone if MS doesn't get its act together.
    10-28-2014 07:44 PM
    Verizon is abhorrent with post-launch support, but they got some dope hardware.

Today, they announced a Motorola exclusive with nearly identical specs to the Nexus 6 but with the screen measuring in at a more manageable 5.2".

Sound familiar?
    3900 battery 21mp camera 2k screen comes in 32 or 64 GB..... I'll be getting the 64 on Friday. But I'm keeping the icon.
    10-28-2014 09:07 PM
    3900 battery 21mp camera 2k screen comes in 32 or 64 GB..... I'll be getting the 64 on Friday. But I'm keeping the icon.
    If it ran WP, I'd consider it. But it runs Android. So I'd rather use ANY Windows Phone, no matter how unsupported Verizon causes them to be.

I'd seriously rather use my old HTC Trophy.
    10-28-2014 09:14 PM
    Its crap that Verizon doesn't give the Windows Phone the attention it deserves but I understand why they don't. Sitting in class today, EVERONE else had their iPhones out, I was the ONLY person in there who didn't own an iPhone. Its very hard for WP to compete with that sort of brand strength/loyalty. Verizon executives have to make their shareholders happy with a good return on investment. The best way for them to do this is to support the most popular OS's which WP is unfortunately not one of.

Edit: I also want to share this article I saw earlier about WP.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert...b_6061306.html
    Last edited by hawwie_4; 10-28-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    MikeSo and jazz70 like this.
    10-28-2014 09:35 PM
    Not exactly, The 930 is a different model. Close, but different.
    And unfortunately, it does not work on any US LTE band though it will work well on HSPA+ (H+) which is capable of up 41Mbps (theoretically). Well...theoretically it could work on AT&Ts 2100MHz band that is leased by Cingular Wireless, but that is a relatively small amount of people; and even then, I'm not sure about what I've found in my research.

Spectrum Dashboard - Reboot.FCC.gov
    10-28-2014 10:10 PM
    Its crap that Verizon doesn't give the Windows Phone the attention it deserves but I understand why they don't. Sitting in class today, EVERONE else had their iPhones out, I was the ONLY person in there who didn't own an iPhone. Its very hard for WP to compete with that sort of brand strength/loyalty. Verizon executives have to make their shareholders happy with a good return on investment. The best way for them to do this is to support the most popular OS's which WP is unfortunately not one of.

Edit: I also want to share this article I saw earlier about WP.
    Windows Phone 8.1 -- It's Not Just for Insulting Anymore | Robert J. Elisberg
    Thanks for the link. I missed the .99 cent Icon sale and was going to get the $99 Icon from Microsoft Store and enter a new two year now, since I just picked up two wireless chargers from e bay and know that even vzw will have to release the next batch of phones that will ship with windows 10 I'm thinking for less than $20 I'll just buy the back plate for my 822 and wait till spring or next summer for the next gen win phone and stop this icon chasing madness I personally am going through waiting for the update. All while enjoying the DP on my 822
    10-28-2014 10:25 PM
    Thanks for the link. I missed the .99 cent Icon sale and was going to get the $99 Icon from Microsoft Store and enter a new two year now, since I just picked up two wireless chargers from e bay and know that even vzw will have to release the next batch of phones that will ship with windows 10 I'm thinking for less than $20 I'll just buy the back plate for my 822 and wait till spring or next summer for the next gen win phone and stop this icon chasing madness I personally am going through waiting for the update. All while enjoying the DP on my 822
    Been there and done that. The problem is that the timer on a new two year contract doesn't start until you use the one you currently have offered.

So you're losing money by not using the upgrade as soon as it's up.
    10-29-2014 07:19 AM
    Why promote the Icon, a retired handset?
    This is the 1.2 billion dollar question here. Showing the facts, Microsoft is still promoting it in some ways and Nokia, yea, plenty of pushes for it, if you follow them on Twitter or Facebook.

Now we have a fact that we only really told from Verizon CSRs or store reps and we know how that can go. The phone is removed from Verizon's website and most stores no longer have them on display.

There is still NO official word from Verizon, Microsoft or Nokia, this is an important fact here.

Now Verizon retiring this model is a interesting choice. It's known by most people(and should be known by all companies involved) it's in the top 2/3 best Windows Phone devices available.

We also do not know what "Retired" means on Verizon, not an official meaning, we all can assume but, I have not seen anyone from Verizon actually confirm what it really means in the Verizon world. Does it mean discontinued (gone for good) or just that model/series is "retired" and will come back ?

I could see them "retiring" a current model phone to clear out of all stock before releasing it with the big update (Cyan/Denim), no question, they COULD be doing this. In a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense, and why they are not saying anything also makes sense (If it was coming out as newer model in a month, would you buy the old one ?).

Still, weeks after we have heard this, no Cyan and no idea on what is happening. Till we get the official word from Verizon, Nokia or even Microsoft, we are all just guessing here.

Seems we do a lot of that when it comes to ANYTHING Verizon, huh ?
    10-29-2014 08:09 AM
    And now it's official: T-Mobile is a better carrier for WP users than Verizon is. And AT&T wins by a landslide.

T-Mobile announces Lumia 925 Windows Phone 8.1 update | Windows Central
    10-29-2014 08:21 AM
    Yeah, I am not too happy with VZW. I left ATT in July for the ICON and now the 920 already has Cyan 8.1. Now I am stuck for 2 years or a whopping ETF.
    10-29-2014 08:39 AM
    New here.....but long-time follower and fellow Icon owner.

Not sure if it's been shared before, but check this out: *w*.microsoft.c*m/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/ (Sorry, but apparently I can't share links yet, hahah. You know what to do with the asterisks.)

It updated to reflect that Cyan is 'Available' for T-Mobile's 925, so the page is maintained (....by Microsoft).

Note that it also says that Cyan for the Icon is 'Under Testing.' Perhaps still a long shot, but I see it as a little more solid than anything a Verizon CSR says.
    10-29-2014 09:29 AM
    Yeah that page is definitely kept up to date. Problem is that it's been listed as Under Testing since Cyan was announced.
    ChiefOperative likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:08 AM
    Someone just buy some Verizon stock and visit the shareholders' meeting so we can find out wtf i.s going on because they obviously won't tell their customers.
    10-29-2014 10:20 AM
    Yeah, I am not too happy with VZW. I left ATT in July for the ICON and now the 920 already has Cyan 8.1. Now I am stuck for 2 years or a whopping ETF.
    I hear you, my choice is paying a terrible ETF or stick with Verizon's abysmal treatment of WP customers and continue to stuff cash into Big Red's coffers

great choices all around

even if Verizon by some miracle of the universe updates the Icon and shows WP any love this whole Icon mess has soured me on Verizon for good and I will probably switch when that ETF is manageable

my breaking point may be if by mid November when we still have no update, no news, not any word at all from Verizon about the Icon (we are talking like 5 months at that point since cyan/8.1 was released) I will probably just eat that ETF and switch to At&t
    10-29-2014 10:20 AM
    Someone just buy some Verizon stock and visit the shareholders' meeting so we can find out wtf i.s going on because they obviously won't tell their customers.
    Or call up their "technical support" as the IT manager of a major government contractor (since almost all of them use Rig Bed), claim that your logistics department can get some Icons for executive management, but that you won't get them unless you know how much the phone will be supported. Refuse to "waste time giving out information" until you talk to someone in-the-know--get angry if you have to--and see how far you go.
    SoapBox3000 likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:30 AM
2,618 ... 1213141516 ...