01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 1314151617 ...
tools
    Please do that Chief and tell us how it goes.
    10-29-2014 10:39 AM
    Please do that Chief and tell us how it goes.
    Even if I do, I've been following long enough to know that 20% of people here will say I'm making things up to "stir the pot," and 75% will think that the person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about. Sadly, I'll be inclined to think the latter, as well.
    10-29-2014 11:06 AM
    Agreed. Some simply need to complain. Doesn't matter the topic, doesn't matter the circumstance. It just happens.

I like your idea and just feel you would be best suited simply because you understand your intentions and the flip side of how it all works. Relaying twice will only get lost in translation.
    10-29-2014 11:13 AM
    If they really don't give a crap, then why wouldn't they just approve all updates without testing them. It would keep us happy. It would eliminate any testing on their part. Its win/win if they just give us updates universally.

Its crap that Verizon doesn't give the Windows Phone the attention it deserves but I understand why they don't. Sitting in class today, EVERONE else had their iPhones out, I was the ONLY person in there who didn't own an iPhone. Its very hard for WP to compete with that sort of brand strength/loyalty. Verizon executives have to make their shareholders happy with a good return on investment. The best way for them to do this is to support the most popular OS's which WP is unfortunately not one of.

Edit: I also want to share this article I saw earlier about WP.
    Windows Phone 8.1 -- It's Not Just for Insulting Anymore | Robert J. Elisberg
    10-29-2014 11:37 AM
    Here is the upshot. If/when Verizon finally does grace us with Cyan, you don't have to revert to WP8.0. I asked the T-Mobile 925 guys running WP8.1DP if they needed to revert to 8.0 and they said no, that it installed Cyan with no problems.
    10-29-2014 03:00 PM
    Here is the upshot. If/when Verizon finally does grace us with Cyan, you don't have to revert to WP8.0. I asked the T-Mobile 925 guys running WP8.1DP if they needed to revert to 8.0 and they said no, that it installed Cyan with no problems.
    I am sure Verizon will find a way to make us have to revert back to 8.0 as another "screw you" to DP WP users if and when they ever drop the update
    awilliams1701 likes this.
    10-29-2014 03:20 PM
    New here.....but long-time follower and fellow Icon owner.

Not sure if it's been shared before, but check this out: *w*.microsoft.c*m/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-america/ (Sorry, but apparently I can't share links yet, hahah. You know what to do with the asterisks.)

It updated to reflect that Cyan is 'Available' for T-Mobile's 925, so the page is maintained (....by Microsoft).

Note that it also says that Cyan for the Icon is 'Under Testing.' Perhaps still a long shot, but I see it as a little more solid than anything a Verizon CSR says.
    Just wanted to provide proof of what I posted earlier. The link below (which I still cannot fully post, so replace the asterisks) is a cached view of the same page from 10/25:

h**p://cc.bingj.c*m/cache.aspx?q=Availability+in+North+America+-+Nokia&d=4711554728526433&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=PcXI6Z6akFhekTZV73-lF05C_KDndPQB

It still shows T's 925 as 'Under Testing,' and I'm pretty sure it said that yesterday, too, when I checked. So it is regularly updated, and the 'Under Testing' for the Icon gives me a small bit of hope. I'm not saying that this gives us proof that Cyan for the Icon is under testing or on its way, but when compared to and contrasted against the facts, this page is more reliable than any other resource this thread has. I'll keep checking it every day.

Also keep in mind that when Denim goes live, the page should also give an accurate Zero Day status for the Icon, as well.
    10-29-2014 04:01 PM
    Speaking of Verizon, I just read this thread about a Kyocera phone that is sold as unlocked - but Verizon has disabled the ability to add new APN settings, so it's useless for data outside their own network. https://www.facebook.com/verizon/pos...l_comments=215

I really feel for those guys... especially since apparently the "people" from Verizon that respond must be bots, because they just keep repeating the same "We can't help you. How can we help you?" idiocy (same I've seen when people ask about Cyan).

They really shouldn't sell crippled phones that can only be configured for Verizon as unlocked, even if they are technically not lying.
    10-29-2014 04:12 PM
    Just wanted to provide proof of what I posted earlier. The link below (which I still cannot fully post, so replace the asterisks) is a cached view of the same page from 10/25:

h**p://cc.bingj.c*m/cache.aspx?q=Availability+in+North+America+-+Nokia&d=4711554728526433&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=PcXI6Z6akFhekTZV73-lF05C_KDndPQB

It still shows T's 925 as 'Under Testing,' and I'm pretty sure it said that yesterday, too, when I checked. So it is regularly updated, and the 'Under Testing' for the Icon gives me a small bit of hope. I'm not saying that this gives us proof that Cyan for the Icon is under testing or on its way, but when compared to and contrasted against the facts, this page is more reliable than any other resource this thread has. I'll keep checking it every day.

Also keep in mind that when Denim goes live, the page should also give an accurate Zero Day status for the Icon, as well.
    Why do you believe that page and the fact that it's still "active" is significant? I'm not following you...
    10-29-2014 04:14 PM
    Why do you believe that page and the fact that it's still "active" is significant? I'm not following you...
    Replace "believe" with "hope." I'm hoping that the updates to the page coincide with and maybe even precede reality, and not just a reaction to reality. If so, then maybe we'll get lucky and see that "under testing" change to "available" before our phones let us know.....if they let us know....if they.......let.......

(It's really just grasping at air.)
    10-29-2014 04:22 PM
    We've all seen that page many times, for many weeks now...
    It's had that status for a while..
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...tm#post2798518
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-29-2014 05:50 PM
    Amusing/Annoying but the Icon is still listed on this page for Verizon Sales.... Windows Phone | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless
    10-29-2014 05:55 PM
    Even if I do, I've been following long enough to know that 20% of people here will say I'm making things up to "stir the pot," and 75% will think that the person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about. Sadly, I'll be inclined to think the latter, as well.
    Agreed. Some simply need to complain. Doesn't matter the topic, doesn't matter the circumstance. It just happens.
    Yea but, it's sad but, true....most Verizon employees don't know crap...

I would love to be once proven wrong by saying that a VZW employee said something and it was real but, over the years even in this forum, maybe 100+ times, I have NEVER been proven wrong on this.

So, yea, I might be one of the 75% but, I have facts and experience to back up the reason why I say it and most people do..

I really wish I could be proven wrong here....just once (now with Cyan or Denim coming)...
    10-29-2014 06:20 PM
    The new Microsoft Band fitness device requires Cyan for the Icon (needs BT 4.0). Not that I'm surprised anymore (everything new needs 8.1 and/or Cyan it seems).
    10-29-2014 11:42 PM
    Amusing/Annoying but the Icon is still listed on this page for Verizon Sales.... Windows Phone | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless
    WOW I've been away for a while because I got married/honeymoon close to 200 reply's unread.

This link actually kinda pisses me off. But my new theory is (idk if anyone else has speculated, if I'm repeating I apologize) they have been holding the update for the new Microsoft Band. I really don't think that VZW is done with WP or even wants to push it out. They have been paying for exclusivity with all the good WP's this year you don't do that if you want the platform to fail. We will most likely see 8.1/denim roll out in the coming weeks when VZW/Microsoft try to push this. It's all about that passive Cortana.\

In the meantime make sure all your Twitter rants include that you wish you could use the Microsoft Band with your phone.
    OldMillXxX likes this.
    10-29-2014 11:56 PM
    I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that my 1020, when I refreshed it with the Nokia Recovery Tool, refreshed with Windows 8.1 and Cyan. Is the recovery tool a backdoor to getting 8.1 on Verizon devices? (I have a feeling that the answer is no, or else I would have seen people touting that option, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
    10-30-2014 12:02 AM
    The Recovery Tool only installs the currently released firmware for your model. It does not update an Icon to Cyan.
    10-30-2014 12:37 AM
    I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that my 1020, when I refreshed it with the Nokia Recovery Tool, refreshed with Windows 8.1 and Cyan. Is the recovery tool a backdoor to getting 8.1 on Verizon devices? (I have a feeling that the answer is no, or else I would have seen people touting that option, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
    That is because the 1020 is authorized to run WP8.1/Cyan and is not on Verizon's list of supported devices. Had had been a Verizon branded phone, it would still be on WP8.0/Black.
    10-30-2014 12:49 AM
    Yeah, I would love to get that new Microsoft band also... but of course it requires WP 8.1
    10-30-2014 06:48 AM
    The Recovery Tool only installs the currently released firmware for your model. It does not update an Icon to Cyan.
    When is the last time someone has looked to check the version on the recovery tool ? It seems there is a very high disconnect from Verizon and Nokia (or MS) with the ICON, so they might of updated it early if we are going to be getting it in a few days....
    daniel329 likes this.
    10-30-2014 07:46 AM
    I bought out my Verizon Edge agreement last night and now own my Icon, with nothing preventing me from moving to AT&T. I think I am going to go visit the AT&T store tonight. Now the question is whether to go Android or 1520. I am leaning toward 1520, but I do like app support. Have to think this over some more.
    HarrBear likes this.
    10-30-2014 07:54 AM
    I bought out my Verizon Edge agreement last night and now own my Icon, with nothing preventing me from moving to AT&T. I think I am going to go visit the AT&T store tonight. Now the question is whether to go Android or 1520. I am leaning toward 1520, but I do like app support. Have to think this over some more.

If you want to keep your Icon you can use it on Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM or do Page Plus. I think you'll lose LTE speeds with either option.
    10-30-2014 08:40 AM
    How much for icon then?
    10-30-2014 10:01 AM
    What apps in particular? There may be a good third party option if an official app is missing.
    10-30-2014 10:13 AM
    Joebelfiore 2m2 minutes ago
    Q's on update: yes we're working to get WP8.1/Cyan updates out. T-Mo 925 is done and 521 coming soon. Verizon work underway but farther off
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-30-2014 10:22 AM
2,618 ... 1314151617 ...