01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I expect to see the Icon on overstock.com or newegg.com for $99 no contract soon, lol.
    If that was the case i would buy like 3 of them. Cancel my insurance. and give them to friends/family who have VZW to show them how much better windows phone is.
    phirefly and hawwie_4 like this.
    11-04-2014 09:55 AM
    How does the camera on the Droid Turbo match up to the Icon?
    It's a 20MP camera as well that seems to take pretty good pictures, but for the moment resamples those pictures to 8MP. When Android 5.0 comes out for it with RAW/DNG support I would assume that you could get to the full resoultion image just like you can with the Lumia.
    11-04-2014 12:38 PM
    It's a 20MP camera as well that seems to take pretty good pictures, but for the moment resamples those pictures to 8MP. When Android 5.0 comes out for it with RAW/DNG support I would assume that you could get to the full resoultion image just like you can with the Lumia.
    LOL, you'll get rid if it before Android 5.0 is released by VZW because you'll be tired of waiting...
    11-04-2014 12:58 PM
    They edged up the wrong line when I got my 928 last November and when I went to edge up to the Icon, said I didn't have ab edge contract on my 928 so I could edge up to Icon. I discovered that I was paying TWO edge contracts a few months ago and every time I call about it I get this BS that the store mgr has to look into it. He was supposed to call me yesterday. I'm still waiting on that call.
    11-04-2014 07:04 PM
    Good luck getting that sorted.
    Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk.
    11-05-2014 12:11 AM
    I was on the phone with Verizon for 2 hours yesterday asking for detailed information about Windows Phone. I was very polite and calm because angry people aren't taken seriously over the phone. I was transferred maybe a dozen times while they tried to find someone that does that does the actual testing of new a device's and/or software's impact on their network. They found people actively testing Android Lollipop but no one had any knowledge of Windows Phone 8.1 being currently tested because "the tests ended when the M8 was approved." They told me they would research it further and get back to me. They did all this because I gave them the account number for the city's business plan for over 10,000 devices, which I manage.

I told them I was dissatisfied with Verizon's current support for Windows Phone and would like to cancel my plan. They flipped out. I don't have the authority to end the city's Verizon plan and had to tell them I meant exactly what I said - MY plan. While the city does have Windows phones, they are owned by the IT department and are used only to support the VERY few people who specifically request a WP device instead of an iPhone.

I thought I would get more information by using a high-dollar account but was told the same thing the CSRs at the corporate store told me. This directly contradict's Joe's tweet so I'm confused. I will of course repeat this activity once a week until the CIO or the Mayor (oh crap) gets word and tells me to stop.
    11-05-2014 12:29 AM
    I was on the phone with Verizon for 2 hours yesterday asking for detailed information about Windows Phone. I was very polite and calm because angry people aren't taken seriously over the phone. I was transferred maybe a dozen times while they tried to find someone that does that does the actual testing of new a device's and/or software's impact on their network. They found people actively testing Android Lollipop but no one had any knowledge of Windows Phone 8.1 being currently tested because "the tests ended when the M8 was approved." They told me they would research it further and get back to me. They did all this because I gave them the account number for the city's business plan for over 10,000 devices, which I manage.

I told them I was dissatisfied with Verizon's current support for Windows Phone and would like to cancel my plan. They flipped out. I don't have the authority to end the city's Verizon plan and had to tell them I meant exactly what I said - MY plan. While the city does have Windows phones, they are owned by the IT department and are used only to support the VERY few people who specifically request a WP device instead of an iPhone.

I thought I would get more information by using a high-dollar account but was told the same thing the CSRs at the corporate store told me. This directly contradict's Joe's tweet so I'm confused. I will of course repeat this activity once a week until the CIO or the Mayor (oh crap) gets word and tells me to stop.
    I have been working with my Verizon business manager about the update and windows phone and here is the response I received:

I spoke with my Solutions Architect and she was able to speak with Microsoft.

Please read the e-mail below.

Just spoke directly with Microsoft and there is no official date as of yet. The Windows 8.1 version is still in testing and Windows and Verizon are working on getting the update released as soon as possible. There is a beta test available however, if a customer installs the version it would obviously void the warranty so we would advise against this option. The only thing that could be recommended at this time is to check the below website to inform of any release dates, as soon as releases become available this website will be updated.

Availability in North America - Nokia

Please e-mail me any questions you may have.
    11-05-2014 07:18 AM
    Maybe these people actually have a clue over all CSRs who are pretty much talking out their "butts".

So, a coming soon is better than never.... Just wish they are working on Denim over Cyan....as I am really looking forward to "Hey Cortana" and quicker camera shots. One biggest hates about the ICON or any Nokia phone I have had (928 and ICON), the delay in taking a photo, 85% of the time makes me "Miss the moment".

When I get the photo, it looks great 98% of the time but, what is the point if you almost always miss what your trying to get ?
    11-05-2014 07:32 AM
    I have been working with my Verizon business manager about the update and windows phone and here is the response I received:

I spoke with my Solutions Architect and she was able to speak with Microsoft.

Please read the e-mail below.

Just spoke directly with Microsoft and there is no official date as of yet. The Windows 8.1 version is still in testing and Windows and Verizon are working on getting the update released as soon as possible. There is a beta test available however, if a customer installs the version it would obviously void the warranty so we would advise against this option. The only thing that could be recommended at this time is to check the below website to inform of any release dates, as soon as releases become available this website will be updated.
    Bolded Part = Developer Preview.
    11-05-2014 09:05 AM
    I'm beginning to think this phone has some sort of hardware bug that is causing the holdup. Which is a shame, it's a beautiful phone and I love mine. Will never have a personal phone on Verizon wireless, have no choice with current phone as that is who my employer has a contract with.
    11-05-2014 10:27 AM
    Maybe these people actually have a clue over all CSRs who are pretty much talking out their "butts".
    And maybe they're just as full of crap...in fact, I'd bet on that.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    11-05-2014 10:39 AM
    I'm beginning to think this phone has some sort of hardware bug that is causing the holdup. Which is a shame, it's a beautiful phone and I love mine. Will never have a personal phone on Verizon wireless, have no choice with current phone as that is who my employer has a contract with.
    It's not just the Icon that hasn't been updated. It's every Verizon WP8 except the HTC One. It's not a hardware problem. It's Verizon.
    MikeSo, jazz70, wpfan2be and 1 others like this.
    11-05-2014 10:50 AM
    Nah, Verizon is just not devoting resources to it. They have iPhones to sell.
    jazz70, wpfan2be and gamefrick like this.
    11-05-2014 10:59 AM
    Microsoft still thinks that the Icon will get Denim, at least at some point. The newly released Lumia Camera Classic app (I found it using SysAppPusher) is basically the same app we have now. It's for those who don't like the new one that will get released with Denim.

Take a look at the official store description:

and if you scroll down you see

Surmisation likes this.
    11-05-2014 11:13 AM
    I seriously doubt Denim is going to happen. I'm not even sure that Cyan will happen. Screw Verizon.
    11-05-2014 12:58 PM
    I seriously doubt Denim is going to happen. I'm not even sure that Cyan will happen. Screw Verizon.
    I doubt Microsoft would allow Verizon to get by without updating their Lumia line to Lumia & Denim. It's not a question of if. It never has been.

It's just the daunting and frustrating "When?"
    11-05-2014 01:03 PM
    Although my icon works well, the only drawback is the delay to wake the screen when connected to WiFi, I think the same. If you observe either movement microsoft, are the last efforts to boost its new lumia, but for example the 930 version of the international icon has not been promoted, almost certainly due to the lack of glance we love it all and this team does not have. I think Nokia and Microsoft were wrong to downplay this feature and now weighs them, in addition to the multiple problems that both the 930 and the icon displayed according to many users. By now I think Microsoft plans to launch a new phone in 5 "full HD, glance, SD 805 camera and processor as the 1020 all aluminum body put in.
    11-05-2014 01:34 PM
    By now I think Microsoft plans to launch a new phone in 5 "full HD, glance, SD 805 camera and processor as the 1020 all aluminum body put in.
    Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas everybody.
    That would have made my waiting all this crap out worth it lol.
    11-05-2014 01:57 PM
    Pretty sure all the delay is because of Verizon's older CDMA technology. I have read many threads and all point to CDMA being the culprit. Next year they plan to move away from it with VoLTE, but again, Verizon has their own spin on LTE so who knows.

Too bad Verizon is so big, and stubborn. Would be nice if they would just jump in to the GSM world.
    11-05-2014 02:45 PM
    If Verizon says screw you to microsoft, there is nothing microsoft can do. Its a CDMA network. Nothing on it works without Verizon's permission. If Verizon refuses to update phones then that is that. MS has no means of bypassing it. If they manage to put drivers into the DP without embedding them in the firmware as they do now, then that's another story but I have no idea how hard that would be.

I doubt Microsoft would allow Verizon to get by without updating their Lumia line to Lumia & Denim. It's not a question of if. It never has been.

It's just the daunting and frustrating "When?"
    11-05-2014 03:34 PM
    If Verizon says screw you to microsoft, there is nothing microsoft can do. Its a CDMA network. Nothing on it works without Verizon's permission. If Verizon refuses to update phones then that is that. MS has no means of bypassing it. If they manage to put drivers into the DP without embedding them in the firmware as they do now, then that's another story but I have no idea how hard that would be.
    Verizon isn't done with Microsoft. They're just not prioritizing their products.

Exhibit A: The Lumia 735 is still coming out. Is it coming out when it should? No. But it will be available eventually.
    11-05-2014 03:36 PM
    I suspect its not the reason, but it does give Verizon total control. Nothing works on a CDMA network without the permission of the carrier. Fortunately LTE is based on GSM, but I noticed that my 1520.3 didn't even get anything on Verizon before I switched to AT&T not even LTE so I think they still have ways of blocking or filtering phones on their LTE network. I have heard they plan on retiring the CDMA network as of 2021.

Pretty sure all the delay is because of Verizon's older CDMA technology. I have read many threads and all point to CDMA being the culprit. Next year they plan to move away from it with VoLTE, but again, Verizon has their own spin on LTE so who knows.

Too bad Verizon is so big, and stubborn. Would be nice if they would just jump in to the GSM world.
    11-05-2014 03:36 PM
    I have Verizon Fios too. They have an app for iP and Andriod. But nothing for Windows. I posted a comment that if they are selling the Windows devices, maybe they should support them on their other side too. But all my AT&T friends are standing in the parking lot talking on their cell phones because they don't get good signal. Sucks, but that is why I stay.
    11-05-2014 06:44 PM
    56 days and counting.
    11-05-2014 06:54 PM
    56 days and counting.
    It would be nice if they made the update out in 60 days (this Sunday would be 60th).
    11-05-2014 08:03 PM
2,618 ... 1718192021 ...