Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you realize how many lines of code a developer has to go through?

Icon is low priority to Verizon, so I suspect the only part time developer that actually works on the code, was on vacation for 3 months. And Microsoft wants the Icon to be forgotten, the more interesting M8 for the USA market is out.

Verizon has failed to promptly update it's existing line. Microsoft has failed to put their weight behind windows phone and force the carriers to play a minor role to the update procedure.

Both failed, both should be punished by the consumers

Meat Sammiches

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I asked a dude in the Verizon store why the Lumia Icon wasn't being sold anymore. He told me because of the Microsoft acquisition of Nokia. Soooo they don't want to sell phones with the name Nokia on it? Why aren't the rest of the companies doing that? Didn't make sense lol

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I asked a dude in the Verizon store why the Lumia Icon wasn't being sold anymore. He told me because of the Microsoft acquisition of Nokia. Soooo they don't want to sell phones with the name Nokia on it? Why aren't the rest of the companies doing that? Didn't make sense lol

If that's the case, why are they still selling the 928?

Brenda Smeby

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. And probably won't update until I see user reports.

I hate to abandon WP but at this point I'm trying to get into an iPhone 6. Vzw screwed me on edge though so maybe not.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. And probably won't update until I see user reports.

I hate to abandon WP but at this point I'm trying to get into an iPhone 6. Vzw screwed me on edge though so maybe not.

Well Brenda, it would appear half of your plan makes sense. I, too will likely be switching over to an iPhone. A distinction, I hope you would follow, is that it also most certainly be an unlocked GSM device.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Well, the fast is, you talked to a Verizon customer service rep/sales person, they don't know crap when it comes to internal workings at Verizon. They never did, and never will...

Maybe Verizon wanted to get the phone with Cyan/Denim with Microsoft branding to promote it again ?

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, the fast is, you talked to a Verizon customer service rep/sales person, they don't know crap when it comes to internal workings at Verizon. They never did, and never will...

Maybe Verizon wanted to get the phone with Cyan/Denim with Microsoft branding to promote it again ?

I was in two Verizon corporate stores this weekend looking for a case for my Icon and both of them have sent back all their unsold Icon cases. If they were going to bring the Icon back with new branding the cases would still be the same so no point to send them back.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My guess is they retired it because the 830 is coming out on AT&T and looks very similar, so they don't really have a visual exclusive any longer.

I also inquired with a contact I have at Microsoft's hardware division and I don't think we are going to see an update (Cyan and/or Denim) until early December. My contact and his/her boss made it sound like Microsoft isn't all that happy with Verizon's handling of this, and it sounded like there will be more and more phones sold unlocked, but I didnt push on specifics

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My guess is they retired it because the 830 is coming out on AT&T and looks very similar, so they don't really have a visual exclusive any longer.

I also inquired with a contact I have at Microsoft's hardware division and I don't think we are going to see an update (Cyan and/or Denim) until early December. My contact and his/her boss made it sound like Microsoft isn't all that happy with Verizon's handling of this, and it sounded like there will be more and more phones sold unlocked, but I didnt push on specifics

Did you ask them about new high end phones?

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

The ATT 830 comes in dark aluminum. Hardly similar...

But the issue is contentious, so what you're reiterating make sense. The visual similarity may have become a legal and contractual issue. ATT's aluminum color was changed at some point indicating that Verizon may have made a stink.

Unlocked is the way to go. Also, no more exclusives.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just ordered the 1520.3 from B&H for $500. Few weeks to get here, figure I can cancel if they release Cyan beforehand and if not will just sell my Icon. Unlocked GSM from now on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)