01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    Wish something would get announced here, I just got the m8 but plan on trading it back in before the end of the 2 week trial for an Icon. Would hate to get the Icon as it sits now only to find they re-release it with 8.1 and cyan, and the version I have for some reason is a brick and cant be updated. All speculation on my part but still a concern...
    11-12-2014 09:03 AM
    I'm taking the update of the Icon page as a good sign. At least it's something new.
    11-12-2014 11:02 AM
    11-12-2014 12:17 PM
    Wish something would get announced here, .
    be careful what you wish for
    11-12-2014 12:18 PM
    I saw that announcement and I know for a fact its BS. Plants Vs Zombies is still coded for WP7 and runs perfectly on Cyan. I think its just an excuse. They are throwing you a bone.
    GoJays likes this.
    11-12-2014 01:12 PM
    I saw that announcement and I know for a fact its BS. Plants Vs Zombies is still coded for WP7 and runs perfectly on Cyan. I think its just an excuse. They are throwing you a bone.
    Would this be the bones of the dead horse we've been beating?
    Hotvak123 and nunyazz like this.
    11-12-2014 01:57 PM
    Well at least Verizon has done something. It won't be long now! End of 4th quarter coming fast and Microsoft going to have to hustle to get it in.....as promised.
    11-12-2014 03:21 PM
    Are you insane? There is no way in hell you're getting it this year.

Well at least Verizon has done something. It won't be long now! End of 4th quarter coming fast and Microsoft going to have to hustle to get it in.....as promised.
    11-12-2014 04:26 PM
    Microsoft? This is all on Verizon and at this point it is clear that we won't see that update for several months if at all.
    awilliams1701 likes this.
    11-12-2014 04:29 PM
    So make a good reason to use preview for developers now isn't it.
    I got everything "almost" that Denim has to offer
    Hay Cortana , no , but that's going to be a battery drainer anyways. nice but not needed.
    Fast camera action, no, would be nice to have , but can live without it.
    The rest of the stuff, Action center, live folders, VPN, device hub, data sense, storage sense, alarm snooze time, are all there and working, I am not sure what Verizon could add, who cares about there apps. I rather Verizon take there time and get it right. for my Icon is just right.
    bmetelsky likes this.
    11-12-2014 06:34 PM
    Get it right? It was right as proven by every other carrier. This about Verizon pulling a stunt to prove who's in charge without caring about their customers.
    awilliams1701 and Tjarren like this.
    11-12-2014 07:49 PM
    So make a good reason to use preview for developers now isn't it.
    I got everything "almost" that Denim has to offer
    Hay Cortana , no , but that's going to be a battery drainer anyways. nice but not needed.
    Fast camera action, no, would be nice to have , but can live without it.
    The rest of the stuff, Action center, live folders, VPN, device hub, data sense, storage sense, alarm snooze time, are all there and working, I am not sure what Verizon could add, who cares about there apps. I rather Verizon take there time and get it right. for my Icon is just right.
    Live folders are really nice. Not going to lie.
    robertino23 likes this.
    11-12-2014 08:36 PM
    For the record, I'm having difficulty buying that Cyan's incompatibility with Verizon apps is holding back the WP 8.1/Cyan update for the Lumia devices and WP 8.1 for the 8X and ATIV SE. At it's current level of explanation, it's patently ridiculous on so many levels that it doesn't hold up.

That being said, I'm so glad that there are other, more pressing things going on in my life or else this would've caused me to internet rage like so many others are.
    11-12-2014 09:19 PM
    Would this be the bones of the dead horse we've been beating?
    And picked clean. Actually, I think they are working on their third or fourth horse now.
    11-12-2014 09:53 PM
    Recently picked up an Icon off eBay. Updated it with the developer's preview, then reset everything. Re-updated it, then noticed it now says I have Denim. Is my phone acting goofy, or is this legit? Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to post a link, but if anyone wants they can pm me for a link to the screenshot.
    11-12-2014 10:22 PM
    Recently picked up an Icon off eBay. Updated it with the developer's preview, then reset everything. Re-updated it, then noticed it now says I have Denim. Is my phone acting goofy, or is this legit? Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to post a link, but if anyone wants they can pm me for a link to the screenshot.
    http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-...ware-sightings
    11-12-2014 11:14 PM
    Ahh. I was subsequently digging around in the "About" section and saw that the firmware number there was different. Sorry for the confusion.
    11-13-2014 05:01 AM
    I know I pray we can get it before this year runs out. Its so not unfair, I got this Icon believing it was the next best WP, but now it seems we are behind cuz we don't have the latest updates.

I wonder how difficult it is to get these updates waiting on our phone for us to download as Apple does with iOS. All Apple devices await the download of iOS8 for instance.

​smh
    11-13-2014 10:31 AM
    After years of exclusivity with AT&T and being highly in demand, the made an agreement with Verizon that Verizon must immediately approve all updates without delay or testing. Verizon still has to approve them because its CDMA. Verizon had to either agree or risk losing millions of customers to AT&T for forever. Microsoft doesn't have this kind of power in the mobile world. Samsung didn't, but probably does, however they haven't tried to change anything.

I know I pray we can get it before this year runs out. Its so not unfair, I got this Icon believing it was the next best WP, but now it seems we are behind cuz we don't have the latest updates.

I wonder how difficult it is to get these updates waiting on our phone for us to download as Apple does with iOS. All Apple devices await the download of iOS8 for instance.

​smh
    11-13-2014 10:47 AM
    I'm checking out of the whole thing. I used to have a "Home Phone Connect" (my wife HAS to have a home phone) and used it's upgrade to get the Icon on an EDGE plan. Fortunately, it was right when the Icon was released, so I can "EDGE UP" and switch to a regular 2 year plan if I've paid 50% of my device off (which I have)...so it's bye bye Icon.

Honestly this is something I'd rather not do, I really like Windows Phone and Nokia hardware, but I can't put up with crap like this anymore. I want to leave that poor dead horse alone :(
    11-13-2014 11:21 AM
    I'm checking out of the whole thing. I used to have a "Home Phone Connect" (my wife HAS to have a home phone) and used it's upgrade to get the Icon on an EDGE plan. Fortunately, it was right when the Icon was released, so I can "EDGE UP" and switch to a regular 2 year plan if I've paid 50% of my device off (which I have)...so it's bye bye Icon.

Honestly this is something I'd rather not do, I really like Windows Phone and Nokia hardware, but I can't put up with crap like this anymore. I want to leave that poor dead horse alone :(
    I'm thinking of edging up to the Droid turbo. The camera is pulling on me though.
    11-13-2014 12:07 PM
    On listening to this week's Windows Weekly, Paul Thurrott mentions that he's not surprised that Microsoft doesn't release the firmware update via the Developer Preview program. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't done this already. This would bypass VZW's demands that their bloatware works flawlessly on the Windows Phones and would make a lot of Icon users happy...
    anon(9174535) likes this.
    11-13-2014 12:25 PM
    Even if they did do that, it would probably only be available on GSM devices so we still get screwed.
    On listening to this week's Windows Weekly, Paul Thurrott mentions that he's not surprised that Microsoft doesn't release the firmware update via the Developer Preview program. I wonder why Microsoft hasn't done this already. This would bypass VZW's demands that their bloatware works flawlessly on the Windows Phones and would make a lot of Icon users happy...
    11-13-2014 01:03 PM
    As much as I'd love to burn Verizon for not releasing the update, I'm not sure it's their fault. The W8 has Cyan and apparently works as Verizon wanted. So, either Verizon is asking for something different or there really might be an issue. Now, I'd still say the VZW software is worthless and they should dump it, but I think there might be more than we understand going on here. The question I have is, why did it take VZW so long to reject the update? So I guess indirectly they are to blame for how long it's taking.

All this makes me wonder if there might be a sliver of a possibility that they will go straight to demim? We are far enough down the road that I could actually see it as possible, but this is Verizon...so probably not.
    I don't want to sound pissy, but this CYAN is FIRMWARE, NOT SOFTWARE. Windows 8.1 is available to everyone. CYAN is for LUMIA ONLY. HTC and M8 (not W8) has their own FIRMWARE. They cannot have CYAN. This has been written about many times. Confusion in this endless list of names is easy.
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-13-2014 01:32 PM
    The W8 has Cyan and apparently works as Verizon wanted.
    WTF is the W8? Are you talking about the M8? If so, that is not a Lumia phone and is not affected by this!
    gernerttl, MikeSo and Tjarren like this.
    11-13-2014 02:29 PM
2,618 ... 2122232425 ...