01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    at last, wisdom. this, and they want to keep earning $ on Visual Voicemail as well as from the three people who pay $10/month for VZ Navigator
    Wow! I didn't know that many people use VZ Navigator? Hahahaha! Actually, I used VZ Navigator for a while. It was actually better than Google Navigator for a while. But, Google quickly fixed itself. Of course now I use Here Drive+. :-)
    11-21-2014 02:55 PM
    I still remember the days that Verizon would disable the GPS in the phone unless you paid the $10/month.
    phirefly likes this.
    11-21-2014 03:35 PM
    Yeah. But the FCC slapped Verizon's peepee for doing that. lol
    11-21-2014 03:44 PM
    Be nice if they did the same with these freakin' updates. At this point it's just inexcusable.
    11-21-2014 03:59 PM
    Be nice if they did the same with these freakin' updates. At this point it's just inexcusable.
    Because Verizon owns its own infrastructure, the FCC can't force Verizon, or anybody else for that matter, to update its devices. Verizon got smacked down by the FCC because it was denying access to GPS and NFC unless you paid them. Cyan and Denim are different. You can use ALL of the hardware that is built in to the phone.

Can you make phone calls? - Check.
    Can you use a third party (non-Verizon) navigation app? - Check
    Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check
    Can you use NFC to send info or to start an app? - Check
    Can you access WiFi networks (both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz)? - Check
    Can you get LTE data (where it is offered)? Check
    Can you take pictures? - Check
    Can you record video? - Check
    Can you listen to music? - Check
    Can you access the internet? - Check

This is ALL capable under WP8.0/Black. Since Verizon hasn't blocked a certain piece of hardware on the phone from being used, it is not doing anything wrong in accordance with any of its contractual obligations or contrary to federal and state laws and regulations.
    Tjarren likes this.
    11-21-2014 04:23 PM
    Long time Reader of these boards, first time poster. I just wanted to say a few things that I've experienced with the Icon since picking it up in July.

Both my wife and I have the Icon, got them in July and we've both experienced many of the problems that a lot of people here complain about (spotty wifi, quickly discharging battery, etc). The difference for us is that we are on 8.0, we've never installed the developer preview on our phones. My first Icon was replaced because it wouldn't charge via USB, only wirelessly, otherwise that one seemed to work better than my current one. Both of our phones will randomly lose connection to our router or have a diminished connection, even though our other items (laptops, Xboxes, etc) are working fine. Heck, there have been times we've been we'll beyond where we should be able to get a signal (back yard at the fire pit) and it worked great, then other times where it should work (laying in bed directly above the router) and it doesn't.

I've experienced the quickly discharging battery on my phone where it gets really hot. I did a soft rest and that fixed it. Seems like something gets hung up once and awhile, no biggy... My wifes phone on the other hand has done this, and I have to do a factory reset. That fixed it for a few weeks, and now its doing it again, but without getting super hot. We've disabled all the background tasks etc, and she really has almost nothing on her phone to begin with, but it just keeps happening. Doing a factory rest and then not restoring a backup worked last time, but it doesn't appear to be a perminanet solution.

To me it really seems like there is something very faulty with these phones. I didn't own it before the Black firmware came out, so I don't know if these are new issues since then or not, but in its current state we are both very dissatisfied with the Icon. We love windows phone (I'm a previous Trophy owner) and the camera on the Icon is amazing. I have no complaints about the speed many others do, but I don't have other newer phones to compare it too, works fine for me.

Its taken since July until just this week to get the money deal sorted out with Verizon for replacing my Icon, so I'm hesitant to replace my wife's. It might be better for us to go into the store to do so. I'm hoping they give her the option to upgrade to the M8. Not because we dislike the lack of 8.1/cyan, but because she needs a phone that has a reliable battery...

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think 8.1DP is the cause of many of the problems as seems suggested, but it may in fact be the Black firmware (hopefully) or worse yet, a hardware issue (hopefully not).
    Yeah, I don't think 8.1 Preview is the issue either.
    By the way, you guys really need to put the Preview on your phones. It's not Beta, and it has so much more to offer. I have fewer issues with 8.1 on it than with 8.0. It's great.
    11-21-2014 04:24 PM
    Can you download the preview for free or is there a fee?
    11-21-2014 04:34 PM
    It's free. You just need to install the Preview for Developers app and register your phone for updates. Really simple.

I suggest installing WP8.1 DP, grab all of the updates, save your data (i.e. photos, music, etc.) and then do a hard reset but do not restore from back up.
    11-21-2014 04:41 PM
    It's free. See All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Central

In short, go to Windows App Studio - Create free apps for Windows Phone, Surface tablets and PCs | Microsoft and sign up for a free "App Studio" account, then download the Preview app: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and check for an OS update in your phone settings.
    Last edited by MikeSo; 11-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    11-21-2014 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the help. What should be latest version numbers with the preview version installed
    11-21-2014 06:49 PM
    I'm aware which is why I've laughed at the people filing complaints. Just a little wishful thinking.
    11-21-2014 07:10 PM
    Ok. First post but have been following for months now. I've waited for the icon and picked it up when my 2 year contract was over this May also thinking it wouldn't be long until 8.1 would be available for the icon. I ran across wpcentral and found lots of valuable advice about the phone, camera etc... My wife loved my phone so much she even left her iphone when her contract was over in July and has also loved it. So last week after contacting my Microsoft and Verizon rep (since I work in I.T. and constantly communicate with both) and both did not have any answers for me, I decided to update my Lumia 822 (work phone) to DP 8.1. After a couple of day without issue and longer battery life I updated my Icon. I have not looked back at all. My battery lasts longer than before, my Nokia camera video app now records WITH sound (didn't before unless I soft reset) and the new features along with Cortana work great. I just updated my wife's phone yesterday, showed her the new features and she is very happy. I don't know why some phones have certain issues and some do not but I figured I share my experience for anyone who is on the fence like I was 2 weeks ago.
    MikeSo and phirefly like this.
    11-21-2014 07:16 PM
    I just updated, just would like to know if I have the latest version with 8.1.1 and all updates before I hard reset. What should it read?
    Thanks
    11-21-2014 07:34 PM
    Latest Preview OS version is 8.10.14203.306

If you can create folders on the start screen you have it. :)
    11-21-2014 09:02 PM
    Yeah. But the FCC slapped Verizon's peepee for doing that. lol
    "slapped Verizons PeePee"

Officially the best thing ive read on these forums. I lol'd like a 12 year old, not going to lie.
    11-21-2014 09:52 PM
    Because Verizon owns its own infrastructure, the FCC can't force Verizon, or anybody else for that matter, to update its devices. Verizon got smacked down by the FCC because it was denying access to GPS and NFC unless you paid them. Cyan and Denim are different. You can use ALL of the hardware that is built in to the phone.

This is ALL capable under WP8.0/Black. Since Verizon hasn't blocked a certain piece of hardware on the phone from being used, it is not doing anything wrong in accordance with any of its contractual obligations or contrary to federal and state laws and regulations.
    Yea, but, maybe it's me....Todays phones are just software and personally when I buy a phone (in the last 2-4 years at least), I do expect the "software" on the phone. We pay good money for these devices, or get tied to long term contracts.

In this modern day of hardware, I EXPECT software support updates for at least 2 years from the phone release.

I can understand a carrier dropping and not supporting a low end/entry level device for a short time but, on High end models, I EXPECT support.
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-22-2014 03:35 PM
    So I finally got impatient enough to install the DP on my Icon and I am liking somethings but also having the wifi issue and the battery drains faster. Questions, does the battery have to calibrate again? Also will Cyan install over this or will have to roll back, it is saying it is Denim installed now.
    Last edited by TomAd9; 11-22-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    heelio likes this.
    11-22-2014 08:11 PM
    The battery drain will subside, in my experience. It seems to be doing background operations for a while, and also maybe because of increased use right when the installation is new.

The Wi-Fi was equally bad on 8.0 for me, at this point I think the Icon has some inherent flaw with either antenna or firmware regarding Wi-Fi.

If it ever arrives Cyan and/or Denim should install over the Preview. Microsoft fixed the problem that there was with that and the official updates since then have worked on the Preview phones.

The phone says Denim in "extras + info" but it's still Black, which can be confirmed if you look at the firmware version number in "about".
    11-22-2014 08:58 PM
    Thank you for the response.
    The battery drain will subside, in my experience. It seems to be doing background operations for a while, and also maybe because of increased use right when the installation is new.

The Wi-Fi was equally bad on 8.0 for me, at this point I think the Icon has some inherent flaw with either antenna or firmware regarding Wi-Fi.

If it ever arrives Cyan and/or Denim should install over the Preview. Microsoft fixed the problem that there was with that and the official updates since then have worked on the Preview phones.

The phone says Denim in "extras + info" but it's still Black, which can be confirmed if you look at the firmware version number in "about".
    11-22-2014 09:05 PM
    An interesting thing happened at Ikea today....

I was in the AS-IS section looking at a piece of furniture I wanted to buy. My wife wasn't with me, so I whipped out my Icon took a picture and texted to her asking her opinion. I was waiting for her response when a guy walked up and started admiring the piece as well. I said, "I'm waiting for my wife to say yes or no to it." He laughed a bit.

Then he looked up and saw my Icon. His eyes brightened and he said, "Well, because you use that phone I'll let you have first go at it." I thought he might just like Lumias at that point and was about to say something when he added, "I designed that phone - the Icon."

As you might imagine, I was a bit floored. :)

We talked for a bit and he, of course, didn't reveal anything that we hadn't already heard, but he swears that Cyan is coming for the Icon. I asked if we would just skip Cyan and go right to Denim. He hesitated and then said that he couldn't say anything about that. He said he was on Verizon too and was looking forward to it. I then asked if it was some kind of bug and he said no, it just takes time.

Then he asked what I liked about the Icon and I told him the camera and the OS. At that point he whips out his own mobile phone to discuss the MSN Money app. He flicks through some things that I don't really remember, because I think I just saw the replacement for the Icon in the wild!

His phone was definitely the same screen size as the Icon as our phones were almost side by side. No case on his or mine. But his had rounder edges to it and I think the back was green. Most interesting was the prominent Microsoft logo on the upper left bezel and I think the Verizon logo on the upper right bezel. It was too fast for me to really take in all the details.

At that moment, I think he just realized what he had shown me and quickly excused himself.

TL;DR: Met a guy who claims to have designed the Icon. Says Cyan is definitely coming. Hesitates when I ask about just going to Denim. Shows me a phone with Microsoft and Verizon branding on it and then runs away.

ETA: Here is my only piece of evidence. The piece of furniture I texted to my wife. :)

11-22-2014 09:07 PM
    I took a look at the phones that Microsoft has announced and I would say it looked a lot like a 830 but with Verizon branding.

Here is what the 830 looks like

Here is a Photoshop of what I saw (although my brain keeps saying all of the letters in Microsoft were upper case I find no logos like that on the web).

MikeSo likes this.
    11-22-2014 11:22 PM
    Who cares about a prototype phone running around in the wild. The burning question is did you take home the table or not?
    11-24-2014 09:42 AM
    Hey, maybe he knew something but, a "coming soon" type thing is what we have been hearing for months now. When it comes down to it, we are just grasping at straws here....

STILL NOTHING ? WTF....I want Denim now ! Tired of this crap....Verizon may have the best network in the US but, sometimes I wonder is it worth it for this crap ?
    11-24-2014 10:05 AM

Hmm... Can't use Bluetooth 4.0 LE without an update. Can't use Miracast without an update. I wish that was true because I would be on black anymore...
    11-24-2014 09:32 PM

Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check.
    You can't pair a Bluetooth low power device without Cyan, like the FitBit.
    11-25-2014 01:25 AM
2,618 ... 2526272829 ...