01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 12345 ...
tools
    That was before I accepted my transgender status. Now I keep it in my purse. I agree one of the benefits of being a lady.

Ouch! I guess that's where we ladies are lucky- I never carry my phone in a pants pocket.

Attachment 84605
    NancyAnnL likes this.
    10-14-2014 07:09 PM
    To everyone listing the problems you are, or are not having: Please tell your OS version. WP8, 8.1 DP, or whatever.

I ran 8.1 DP for a while and the only problem I had was when the phone was connected to my computer. It would disconnect and reconnect multiples times a second. This was a deal breaker because I'm always putting new music on my phone. I rolled back to WP8 and everything is great. No problems with WiFi on either version and I connect to multiple networks (G, N 2.4GHz, AC 5GHz) a day between work, home, and on the road. WiFi is always fast as can be no matter which router or MiFi I connect to. Battery life is great. I usually finish the day above 20% and I use the crap out of my phone. I've only noticed the phone getting warm on the wireless charger but my 928 did the same thing.

I want Denim/8.1 but it's not crucial to me.
    10-14-2014 07:28 PM
    Ah, they closed the Cyan thread, so here we go again ! :)

The key thing to note. Cyan and Denim was announced before the ICON was "retired". As the phone was current when it was announced, I expect we should be getting these updates. If you saw my other thread, If we don't get Denim by mid (based on above) December, I think we should create a class action lawsuit against Verizon Wireless.

Will we get it? unsure at this point but, based off the 930 and 1520 will get it, I would bet Verizon still would send it down after their so called "testing".

If Verizon didn't have me by the balls on better coverage in my area and unlimited data, I would change to AT&T in heartbeat. It would be nice to get some actual support for Windows Phone, something that Verizon seems to care less about.
    You may be on to something here. I have considered that very thing myself. Would the Oregon Attorney General be interested? I don't know. The numbers may not warrant their attention. They may also argue there was no binding promise by either Verizon or Microsoft/Nokia to update the Icon. On the other hand, I'd argue there was an implicit understanding that as Microsoft pushed the Cortana feature and indirectly, 8.1, it would not be unreasonable to expect that a phone that was touted as the Windows Mobile flagship should get the latest upgrade. And, if an older AT&T 1020 can get 8.1 and Cyan, why not the Icon? Wouldn't a new computer buyer reasonably expect that a top-of-the-line PC should get the latest Windows 8 service pack?
    associatedpress likes this.
    10-14-2014 10:12 PM
    TMI dude... T. M. I.

That was before I accepted my transgender status. Now I keep it in my purse. I agree one of the benefits of being a lady.
    aximtreo and SoapBox3000 like this.
    10-14-2014 10:26 PM
    The Microsoft website says that the Icon will have extra features ie., hey Cortana with the denim update. If they still say this, then it is just a matter of time. I have a feeling they will just skip right over cyan and go straight to denim.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-14-2014 10:30 PM
    My experience on WP8 is similar. Great. Wi-fi (and I travel a lot) great, battery life really good. Heat problems, only a couple of times while using HereDrive+ or other intensive apps in excessively hot weather.
    10-14-2014 11:11 PM
    My experience on WP8 is similar. Great. Wi-fi (and I travel a lot) great, battery life really good. Heat problems, only a couple of times while using HereDrive+ or other intensive apps in excessively hot weather.
    HereDrive+ causes my M8 to overheat as well. I originally thought it was an issue with the Icon on DP.
    10-15-2014 08:07 AM
    HereDrive+ causes my M8 to overheat as well. I originally thought it was an issue with the Icon on DP.
    Na, there's a lot of processing information that goes on with GPS apps, probably why actual GPS units are so large. ;)
    10-15-2014 08:17 AM
    Not a chance at all! The 930 is the EXACT same phone but couldn't be released in the United States because of the exclusivity contract with a company that didn't give a squat about the phone and actively squashed sales of the device. I suspect Apple knew this phone was better than their brand new iPhone 6 and paid VZW to squash sales of it. This is why Microsoft should NEVER do another "exclusive" phone deal. And if they do, do it with a Phone company that cares about Windows Phones = AT&T! I think Microsoft should do an "exclusive deal" with AT&T for a brand new Windows 10 phone that is an iPhone killer and Verizon can watch all their beloved Android and iPhone users leave their network for AT&T like they did for the initial iPhone!
    10-15-2014 08:29 AM
    Na, there's a lot of processing information that goes on with GPS apps, probably why actual GPS units are so large. ;)
    Yeah GPS is horribly energy intensive. A while back Microsoft was working on a way to offload the computing to the cloud in real time. Hope we get that in Windows 10
    10-15-2014 08:53 AM
    Yeah GPS is horribly energy intensive. A while back Microsoft was working on a way to offload the computing to the cloud in real time. Hope we get that in Windows 10
    You sure? I'm not convinced this is true.

GPS certainly requires much more juice than, say, WiFi or cell tower based location tracking, particularly while it's getting a satellite fix, but otherwise it's a passive technology. I can't imagine how it would use anywhere near enough juice to make a device warm to the touch. I think what you are noticing is your navigation app. It's drawing an animated 3D map at 30 FPS or more. On a 1080p screen that means the navigation app is drawing at least 60 million pixels per second. Just like any 3D game, that will make a L930 hot, much more so than the actual GPS tracking.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-15-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: formatting
    MikeSo and aximtreo like this.
    10-15-2014 09:16 AM
    Yeah, the GPS itself doesn't use that much power I think. I use it on my MSN Health & Fitness app in the background and it uses more than when idle of course, but not close to the power use when using HERE Drive for example. Also, I have location turned on for Swarm, and it's not that noticeable.

I still think the worst power use in the Icon has something to do with the networking and possibly IE. It's the only way to explain the 30%-40% power drain when logged in to disqus.com... well, that and the keyboard, which also happens to be heavily used when messaging in Messenger or SMS, which always seem to drain the power as well (though that could also be from connections, I suppose). It's weird that what should be the simplest of uses is the task that drains the battery on my Icon the most. I keep hoping firmware will fix this... :/
    a5cent likes this.
    10-15-2014 11:43 AM
    There are definitely major power issues related to wireless lan, and possibly cellular. I could tell you about my situation, but it probably wouldn't make sense. It just sucks. I also think that the keyboard is a big drainer, though that could be across all devices, and possibly specific to using swipe typing.
    10-15-2014 12:02 PM
    Unfortunately you can't sell a phone for Verizon or Sprint without their permission thanks to CDMA technology. So Verizon could say we get exclusivity or we won't carry it. MS would then have no choice if they wanted to offer it on Verizon. Personally I think the inclusion of CDMA gives them an out. The 930 and 929(Icon) aren't the same phone because of the CDMA radio. You can't interchange the firmware. Calling it the same phone would never hold up in court.

Not a chance at all! The 930 is the EXACT same phone but couldn't be released in the United States because of the exclusivity contract with a company that didn't give a squat about the phone and actively squashed sales of the device. I suspect Apple knew this phone was better than their brand new iPhone 6 and paid VZW to squash sales of it. This is why Microsoft should NEVER do another "exclusive" phone deal. And if they do, do it with a Phone company that cares about Windows Phones = AT&T! I think Microsoft should do an "exclusive deal" with AT&T for a brand new Windows 10 phone that is an iPhone killer and Verizon can watch all their beloved Android and iPhone users leave their network for AT&T like they did for the initial iPhone!
    10-15-2014 12:40 PM
    Unfortunately you can't sell a phone for Verizon or Sprint without their permission thanks to CDMA technology. So Verizon could say we get exclusivity or we won't carry it. MS would then have no choice if they wanted to offer it on Verizon. Personally I think the inclusion of CDMA gives them an out. The 930 and 929(Icon) aren't the same phone because of the CDMA radio. You can't interchange the firmware. Calling it the same phone would never hold up in court.
    Are we sure the 930 doesn't have CDMA radio built in as well? The Icon definitely works on both CDMA and non-CDMA networks, so maybe the 930 does too.
    10-15-2014 12:44 PM
    Just waiting for the day when I come on here and someone says....Check your phone :(

sigh....does not look like it's going to happen any time soon :(
    GoJays and gernerttl like this.
    10-15-2014 01:12 PM
    GPS certainly requires much more juice than, say, WiFi or cell tower based location tracking, particularly while it's getting a satellite fix, but otherwise it's a passive technology. I can't imagine how it would use anywhere near enough juice to make a device warm to the touch. I think what you are noticing is your navigation app. It's drawing an animated 3D map at 30 FPS or more. On a 1080p screen that means the navigation app is drawing at least 60 million pixels per second. Just like any 3D game, that will make a L930 hot, much more so than the actual GPS tracking.
    I can see Here Drive+ making the phone warm up. It's happened to me. But I also think it has a bit to do with where the phone is while using it. If your car mount is on the dash of your car AND plugged in to a charger, not only are you getting heat from CPU usage, but also from battery charging and heat from sun light. I've countered this by blasting my A/C through the front defroster vents. That helps keep the phone cooler.
    10-15-2014 01:22 PM
    Are we sure the 930 doesn't have CDMA radio built in as well? The Icon definitely works on both CDMA and non-CDMA networks, so maybe the 930 does too.
    Technically, you can run CDMA using GSM frequencies (i.e. WCDMA). So yes, theoretically the 930 could be CDMA capable, but I don't think it is. CDMA is more of a protocol than a network technology. CDMA actually dates back to the 1930's. When a Soviet professor published a paper on it.

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What is CDMA (Code-Division Multiple Access) ? - Definition from WhatIs.com
    10-15-2014 01:35 PM
    I can see Here Drive+ making the phone warm up. It's happened to me. But I also think it has a bit to do with where the phone is while using it. If your car mount is on the dash of your car AND plugged in to a charger, not only are you getting heat from CPU usage, but also from battery charging and heat from sun light. I've countered this by blasting my A/C through the front defroster vents. That helps keep the phone cooler.
    Yeah, combine all that and you can easily fry eggs, sunny side up, la Icon.

To me it sounds like people are reporting the device becoming very hot even without that combination of factors however.

I'm only saying that if GPS works as it should, then GPS shouldn't, by itself, be the main source of battery issues or heat. As a counter example, I've used a lot of mid range WP devices that remain completely cool while using Here Drive+, so if it was the GPS, which is identical in all WP devices, they'd all have to get hot.
    10-15-2014 02:14 PM
    Technically, you can run CDMA using GSM frequencies (i.e. WCDMA). So yes, theoretically the 930 could be CDMA capable, but I don't think it is. CDMA is more of a protocol than a network technology. CDMA actually dates back to the 1930's. When a Soviet professor published a paper on it.

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    What is CDMA (Code-Division Multiple Access) ? - Definition from WhatIs.com
    I remember reading this, that WCDMA is not compatible with Verizon... CDMA requires a KEY that Verizon puts on their phones, so you cant just take another CDMA phone and run it on Verizon....For example a Sprint phone....

I could be wrong but, from what I remember, Japan is WCDMA and it's different than Verizon...

So, the 930 might work on AT&T or TMO but, getting it to work on Verizon with 8.1 installed is not going to happen...
    10-15-2014 02:18 PM
    I remember reading this, that WCDMA is not compatible with Verizon... CDMA requires a KEY that Verizon puts on their phones, so you cant just take another CDMA phone and run it on Verizon....For example a Sprint phone....

I could be wrong but, from what I remember, Japan is WCDMA and it's different than Verizon...

So, the 930 might work on AT&T or TMO but, getting it to work on Verizon with 8.1 installed is not going to happen...
    Right. Not saying you can just take a 930 and put it on Verizon like you do with a GSM phone, just saying that hardware-wise they might still be the same.
    10-15-2014 03:23 PM
    It costs money but IMO it should be sunk cost for bringing the phone to market. While it is a DEV effort, in the grand scheme of things it is rounding error on Verizon's balance sheet. The fact that they released the phone IMO means they have some obligation to support it for a period of time - sales or no sales. Sales aside, is this how they want to treat their customers? Also, whether they continue to sell this phone or not is irrelevant to me - one of their loyal customers of 10+ years. I know that I'm going to pay for the services to use it for two years - and wouldn't a common person think that there some inkling of an implied support for firmware updates during it's reasonable - usable, lifespan?
    10-15-2014 03:28 PM
    Talked to a rep online and she said Nokia hasn't released the update. Hmmmmm doubt she knows what she is talking about
    10-15-2014 03:35 PM
    That's because the Icon has both CDMA and GSM radios. The 930 only has GSM. Even if it had CDMA it wouldn't work without Verizon's permission. Also LTE isn't CDMA and as a result this problem is going to be over at the end of the decade when Verizon shuts down their 3g network. You also can't get the Icon to work on Sprint either for the same reason. It would need Sprint's keys to work.

10-15-2014 04:25 PM
    I almost swear that most of the issues that people have are app related. When I got the phone the first thing I did was remove all eroneous apps. Ie. All Verizon. And the only app I have added to it was facebook.
    This is a work phone so I use it all day and usually by the time I get home I still have at least half battery. Wifi on my network is actually better then my ios devices and the phone stays cold compared to my iPad.
    10-15-2014 08:18 PM
2,618 12345 ...