The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 3637383940 ...
tools
    Dear Verizon,

I think I speak for most Icon users when I say the following:

1.) We're still disappointed in how late you've been in delivering 8.1/Cyan.
    2.) We're pleased to hear that when we do get an update, we'll be receiving WP8.1 update 1/Denim relatively early.
    3.) We'd be very happy to receive a Christmas gift on time.
    12-21-2014 08:34 AM
    Just updated my girlfriends 928 and noticed and interesting change from earlier builds (at least that I am aware). Previously you could change ONLY the internet apn, whereas now you can also change the mms apn. If this flows through to the Icon as well, it means we can actually take our SIM unlocked Icons to AT&T or T-Mobile and, at very least, get their Band 4 LTE and actually be able to send and receive MMS/Group messages.
    Definitely a big change if it holds, and would allow us much more flexibility for our phones. Will test on my Icon with AT&T when it gets updated. Caution however, because I've played around with this before and been forced to hard reset afterward to get LTE back because the T-Mobile apn settings got locked in as Verizon SIM cards dont have the ability/information to override it.
    12-21-2014 12:33 PM
    Why would they be trying to get me to buy a 928 when I currently have an ICON. Maybe they are trying to get more money out of us who are frustrated with waiting for cyan/denim? Does it make sense now!
    Don't read so much into it. It's just an automated thing. You have a Windows Phone so they feel you're more likely to be interested in another one. I got one of these a month or two ago. I also have an Icon and they recommended a 928 and this was long before this Denim news.
    12-21-2014 02:43 PM
    Just updated my girlfriends 928 and noticed and interesting change from earlier builds (at least that I am aware). Previously you could change ONLY the internet apn, whereas now you can also change the mms apn. If this flows through to the Icon as well, it means we can actually take our SIM unlocked Icons to AT&T or T-Mobile and, at very least, get their Band 4 LTE and actually be able to send and receive MMS/Group messages.
    Definitely a big change if it holds, and would allow us much more flexibility for our phones. Will test on my Icon with AT&T when it gets updated. Caution however, because I've played around with this before and been forced to hard reset afterward to get LTE back because the T-Mobile apn settings got locked in as Verizon SIM cards dont have the ability/information to override it.
    This would be an awesome gift from Microsoft.
    12-21-2014 03:20 PM
    img_0537.jpg
    Just got this tonight. Verizon Icon. Running DP, although its disabled at the moment. Not currently activated on VZW (using iPhone 6 ATM)
    Got upgraded to Denim.
    12-21-2014 07:48 PM
    FWIW heres my 928 next to the Icon
    img_0540.jpg
    12-21-2014 07:59 PM
    FWIW heres my 928 next to the Icon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	91883
    Its a known bug. The very Icon I'm using to type this shows the same thing. Do you want to know how I know it isn't denim? Because my fitbit doesn't sync, I don't have 4k recording, and despite my best efforts, saying "hey Cortana" doesn't do anything. It does however get me some pretty funny looks from my wife.

You'll get it when we do.

Reenable the DP and you'll see it revert to Black. Furthermore if you compare the firmware revisions, you'll find its the same as ours.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-21-2014 10:23 PM
    Its a known bug. The very Icon I'm using to type this shows the same thing. Do you want to know how I know it isn't denim? Because my fitbit doesn't sync, I don't have 4k recording, and despite my best efforts, saying "hey Cortana" doesn't do anything. It does however get me some pretty funny looks from my wife.

You'll get it when we do.

Reenable the DP and you'll see it revert to Black. Furthermore if you compare the firmware revisions, you'll find its the same as ours.
    I too am pretty disappointed that I cannot even sync my fitbit because VZW is dragging its feet.
    12-22-2014 01:25 AM
    I'm not going to complain, but I'm also not going to jump up and down over an "early 2015" release. Verizon still screwed this up and I'll remember that when it comes time to renew. Not that it will matter to them....
    12-22-2014 02:43 PM
    Since the 928 and 822 are getting Denim now, then I expect the Icon to get it in January (February at the latest). Which by definition is "early 2015."
    12-22-2014 11:50 PM
    Since the 928 and 822 are getting Denim now, then I expect the Icon to get it in January (February at the latest). Which by definition is "early 2015."
    I've asked my source at Verizon who tracks device software/hardware issues with manufacturers directly and he said January specifically.
    12-23-2014 12:12 AM
    I've asked my source at Verizon who tracks device software/hardware issues with manufacturers directly and he said January specifically.
    image.jpg
    12-23-2014 12:32 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	91950
    LOL. Yeah I have a fairly reliable source. Unless it changes, they said January. Didn't say what day though. But still, that isn't long to wait.
    12-23-2014 03:12 AM
    LOL. Yeah I have a fairly reliable source. Unless it changes, they said January. Didn't say what day though. But still, that isn't long to wait.
    Hey man, reach out to your source for us and let him know that, although, Cyan was a rough patch, it is really appreciated that Vzw is on it with Denim. At least this 928 & Icon owner appreciates it...
    aximtreo, SteveNoza and HarrBear like this.
    12-23-2014 08:21 AM
    Hey man, reach out to your source for us and let him know that, although, Cyan was a rough patch, it is really appreciated that Vzw is on it with Denim. At least this 928 & Icon owner appreciates it...
    And not just Denim, but full flagship Denim/ 8.1.1
    wpn00b likes this.
    12-23-2014 08:45 AM
    I am happy we are getting Denim but I still have a hard time getting past the way Verizon has treated us WP customers for months and months, only a few vague statements about the status of the Icon, the last update 05/2014, and the overall way VZ treats the WP platform is not easy to forgive or forget imho even with the good news of the release of Denim
    Last edited by jazz70; 12-23-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    12-23-2014 09:26 AM
    Yeah, I'd rather have gotten Cyan sooner and waited longer for Denim myself... In Cyan there are features I'll actually use a lot.
    But I'm glad there was finally good news! Let's just hope it comes in EARLY 2015.
    12-23-2014 12:03 PM
    I'm not going to complain, but I'm also not going to jump up and down over an "early 2015" release. Verizon still screwed this up and I'll remember that when it comes time to renew. Not that it will matter to them....
    Think about it another way....They skipped Cyan because of issues(rumors who really knows for sure) but, odds are higher, we will get Denim before most other carriers. That is a perk no matter on how you look at it..

After all, if you were the one of them who installed the DP when it was available, you had 95-98% of what Cyan offered anyway.

I've actually been looking forward to the feature set in Denim more than getting Cyan (got everything with the DP), that "Hey Cortana" feature is something I will use every day and 4K video recording with my new 4K tv (in about 2 weeks), epic...

Never mind taking a picture in 1/4 of the time would be epic, so many shots that I wont miss any more...
    wpn00b likes this.
    12-23-2014 12:56 PM
    Think about it another way....They skipped Cyan because of issues(rumors who really knows for sure) but, odds are higher, we will get Denim before most other carriers. That is a perk no matter on how you look at it..

After all, if you were the one of them who installed the DP when it was available, you had 95-98% of what Cyan offered anyway.

I've actually been looking forward to the feature set in Denim more than getting Cyan (got everything with the DP), that "Hey Cortana" feature is something I will use every day and 4K video recording with my new 4K tv (in about 2 weeks), epic...

Never mind taking a picture in 1/4 of the time would be epic, so many shots that I wont miss any more...
    This is all true. It's a slight "feel good". I'm still gonna be mad though. I know nothing else.

Happy Festivus to my Icon brethren.

Airing of grievances in 3, 2, 1...go.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    12-23-2014 01:52 PM
    Yeah, I really look at this (to borrow a phrase from American football) as they "punted for field position"

They either got behind the testing curve with Cyan, or there were issues with it, or both that it did likely become more expedient for them to put their resourced into Denim. Having it out on the 928, which isn't far off from the Icon hardware wise, shows Denim works across the device and the network.

I imagine Vzw is staging the rollout in order to catch any final bugs in the rollout process, ease the potential burden on support staff over the holidays, and perhaps final testing of the advanced features the Icon supports.
    12-23-2014 01:55 PM
    Will do!
    12-23-2014 01:58 PM

Ansel Adams, a very famous photographer. He used to talk nice black and white landscape pictures all over the American west. He used to shoot these images with a large format glass plate camera. It's said that he would "see" an image and proceed to set up his camera. Those lager format cameras are very time consuming, and took a long time getting the tripod and camera into position. After finally getting the camera into position and ready to take the picture, if the lighting would have changed and the "image" was gone. He would not take any pictures and proceed to packing everything up. However, when he did happen to capture an image they are all breathtaking.
    Taking a picture is worth waiting for, and the best images are worth taking your time. In a way I'm still an old school photographer, and I have never been bothered by the shutter lag of the Icon,
    12-23-2014 04:20 PM
    Ansel Adams, a very famous photographer. He used to talk nice black and white landscape pictures all over the American west. He used to shoot these images with a large format glass plate camera. It's said that he would "see" an image and proceed to set up his camera. Those lager format cameras are very time consuming, and took a long time getting the tripod and camera into position. After finally getting the camera into position and ready to take the picture, if the lighting would have changed and the "image" was gone. He would not take any pictures and proceed to packing everything up. However, when he did happen to capture an image they are all breathtaking.
    Taking a picture is worth waiting for, and the best images are worth taking your time. In a way I'm still an old school photographer, and I have never been bothered by the shutter lag of the Icon,
    Nice story, just not all that relevant. Many, probably most, people want to use their phone camera for quick shots during everyday life. At games, out with friends, gatherings, whatever. We're not using them to produce works of art.
    12-23-2014 04:44 PM
    Hey I understand your point fully, and once you use the camera for the first few times you should be able to figure out the short comings of the camera. Then once you know how the camera works and you knew about the shutter lag, you should be able to compensate for that. Just like some high end DSLR's they too have shutter lag but it doesn't stop those users from still getting their jobs done. It's not the camera that makes the image it's what's behind the camera that makes the difference...
    12-23-2014 05:00 PM
    High end DSLRs do not have shutter lag. The Icon can take a second or two (sometimes more) to focus and shoot.
    12-23-2014 05:33 PM
2,618 ... 3637383940 ...