01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 3738394041 ...
tools
    High end DSLRs do not have shutter lag. The Icon can take a second or two (sometimes more) to focus and shoot.
    Wow really, they don't, both of my Mamiya's have shutter lag, my Hasselblad.'s too have shutter lag, my EOS 1Dx also had slight lag, and so do all 4 of my 1D Mark IV's. With the Canons is not so much shutter lag but when using some lenses that's are not the "red line" pro lenses they do focus slower. Now I also have a couple Nikon D3s' and those to have focus lag, allot more so then the Canon cameras. So yes, high end "pro" cameras do have leg...

If your Icon is talking more then 1-2 second or more to focus, you may want to look at your subject and try to find a way to illuminate it better to help the focus...
    12-23-2014 05:55 PM
    Since the 928 and 822 are getting Denim now, then I expect the Icon to get it in January (February at the latest). Which by definition is "early 2015."
    What will the main post in the Icon forum become once Denim actually drops?

a. Denim hasn't fixed the loading screens of wifi problems.
    b. Denim fixed all lingering issues
    c Official Windows 10
    beerme1 likes this.
    12-23-2014 06:29 PM

c Official Windows 10
    d. I miss the wake delay and want it back.
    12-23-2014 06:35 PM
    d. I miss the wake delay and want it back.
    imagesglog35ew.jpg
    dkediger likes this.
    12-23-2014 09:19 PM
    I seriously doubt the Wi-Fi problems can be fixed actually. My Icon is so much worse when it comes to reception than everything else I have that it seems most likely a hardware issue.
    So I'm guessing that will be the most common complaint :)
    12-23-2014 09:44 PM
    Nice story, just not all that relevant. Many, probably most, people want to use their phone camera for quick shots during everyday life. At games, out with friends, gatherings, whatever. We're not using them to produce works of art.
    I think what he is saying that if Ansel Adams were around today and had an Icon, he would love it!
    arbyjr, aximtreo and grafixguy#AC like this.
    12-23-2014 10:19 PM
    Did Verizon actually say something about Denim? I though it was only Joe's tweet. Maybe I missed it...
    wes.in.wa likes this.
    12-23-2014 11:19 PM
    I think what he is saying that if Ansel Adams were around today and had an Icon, he would love it!
    You know, you are actually right, I have a problem with word vomit, so it makes it hard for me to simplify my point.
    But I know that the Icons cameras is slow, but it can be worked with. I really think my point was to take your time with the camera (or any camera for that matter) and your pictures will more than likely be a little better.
    Still using Ansel Adams as an example. Even though it took almost 30 minutes to set up his camera, then using shutter speeds of minutes not fractions of a second, he knew how to make his camera capture the images as he wanted.
    When taking pictures instead of just pressing the button and hoping your picture come out nice, take your time and wait for the right moment. You know what kind of camera lag you are working with so you need to learn how to work with that and anticipate the proper moment.
    Talking action pictures outside there should be no problem getting the good shots, indoors is a little more tricky, but the Icon had a 2 stage shutter button. So just like with the high end cameras, pre focus then shoot when the moment is right. the camera has "face tracking" so once you pre focus on someones face, the camera will keep focus locked until you release the shutter button. With the Nokia camera (not the Microsoft camera) you can take 3 pictures in just a little over 1 second. That's really not too bad The biggest problem with the cameras lag is focusing. Low light will make that worse, but if you pre focus that lag is nearly eliminated.

Like I said earlier I have a problem with word vomit, so to try and simplify this, slow down and take a couple great pictures instead of 5, 10, or 15 mediocre ones. The camera in this phone IS one of the best cellphone cameras that I have ever used.
    12-24-2014 12:16 AM
    We're not using them to produce works of art.
    Who's this "we"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? Don't throw the "we" word around when making comments like this. There are people, like me, who like to actually like to produce works of art; and be careful how you define what a work of art is.

I took this work of art a couple weeks ago out at Waimanalo Bay while camping with my daughter.

wp_20141207_07_02_52_raw__highres.jpg
    arbyjr, Tjarren, aximtreo and 3 others like this.
    12-24-2014 01:01 AM
    Did Verizon actually say something about Denim? I though it was only Joe's tweet. Maybe I missed it...
    Verizon never says anything in advance. Joe likely tweeted that to keep us Icon owners from COMPLETELY losing our minds when Verizon announced WP8.1/Denim being released for the 822 and 928 and said nothing about the Icon.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-24-2014 02:26 AM
    I seriously doubt the Wi-Fi problems can be fixed actually. My Icon is so much worse when it comes to reception than everything else I have that it seems most likely a hardware issue.
    So I'm guessing that will be the most common complaint :)
    This is what scares me from getting an Icon free with a two year renewal. If Denim doesn't fix a seemingly common wi fi issue I'll be ******** about it for two years and I don't need that headache. But the odd thing to me is that the wi fi issue seems not to be 100% on every Icon and if that is a hardware issue that doesn't make sense.
    12-24-2014 06:32 AM

c Official Windows 10

What? Still no GLANCE!
    jazz70 likes this.
    12-24-2014 07:57 AM
    The Icon (like the 930) will NEVER get glance due to hardware restrictions of the display. Sorry.
    12-24-2014 08:12 AM
    Ansel Adams, a very famous photographer. He used to talk nice black and white landscape pictures all over the American west. He used to shoot these images with a large format glass plate camera. It's said that he would "see" an image and proceed to set up his camera. Those lager format cameras are very time consuming, and took a long time getting the tripod and camera into position. After finally getting the camera into position and ready to take the picture, if the lighting would have changed and the "image" was gone. He would not take any pictures and proceed to packing everything up. However, when he did happen to capture an image they are all breathtaking.
    Taking a picture is worth waiting for, and the best images are worth taking your time. In a way I'm still an old school photographer, and I have never been bothered by the shutter lag of the Icon,
    I do know who Ansel Adams is, very amazing work, with all the filters he uses, it's just mind-blowing some of the photos he comes up with. They are also very valuable too. I would love to own one..

This is true on the delay of and I agree with this but, with a family and kids, there are just some moments that I feel I should get and that 1-2 second lag that sometimes happens on the ICON, there are many moments that I missed that I would like the chance to be able to get.

My wife has a iPhone 5, she takes the pictures at the same time, she gets 90% of the moment, I don't but, my pictures come out far better than hers but, what is the point if I cant get the moment I need to get ?

Denim should be able to help with these.
    MikeSo and aximtreo like this.
    12-24-2014 08:14 AM
    I rolled back to 8.0 in anticipation of Denim, and I have to say, I forgot how snappy 8.0 is. I hope Denim is as quick with everything as Black is.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-24-2014 08:14 AM
    This is what scares me from getting an Icon free with a two year renewal. If Denim doesn't fix a seemingly common wi fi issue I'll be ******** about it for two years and I don't need that headache. But the odd thing to me is that the wi fi issue seems not to be 100% on every Icon and if that is a hardware issue that doesn't make sense.
    WiFi on my Icon has been just fine, no problems, but I'm using the stock 8.0 OS.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-24-2014 08:47 AM
    WiFi on my Icon has been just fine, no problems, but I'm using the stock 8.0 OS.
    when I used 8.0/black I had no problems with WiFi also

when I switched to the DP was when the WiFi started acting a little flaky so that seems more of a firmware/driver problem that hopefully will be addressed with Denim than some defect with the WiFi antennas in the Icon imho
    Kieta and aximtreo like this.
    12-24-2014 09:08 AM
    My apologies, there's nothing wrong with the Icon camera and any perceived fault is simply my inability to appreciate the slow, uh, I mean, "deliberate" shutter lag "feature".
    12-24-2014 09:16 AM
    I rolled back to 8.0 in anticipation of Denim, and I have to say, I forgot how snappy 8.0 is. I hope Denim is as quick with everything as Black is.
    I did as well. My wifi was starting to act funky with my home wifi where I had to turn it off and on or reboot every time I got home because it wouldn't reach the internet. I hope it's fixed in Denim. Wifi would be fine when I first install 8.1 DP but over time it gets worse. I just don't like that a lot of apps are 8.1 now and I can't install them until we get the update. I'll hang on to 8.0 through the first half of January, I really think we'll have it by then.
    HarrBear likes this.
    12-24-2014 09:17 AM
    Hey I'm sorry and I'm not trying to say that anyone is inept in working with the Icons camera. There definitely is a lag problem, but it can be worked with. The lag comes from the camera needing to focus. That's because with it being a "real camera" there really are lenses that need to move to get the image to become clear. With some of the other cellphone cameras they are fixed focus cameras, and there lenses are set for a certain focal range. So anything with in that range and the camera takes almost no time to achieve focus. That's one of the problems with working with a "real camera".
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-24-2014 09:58 AM
    Hey I'm sorry and I'm not trying to say that anyone is inept in working with the Icons camera. There definitely is a lag problem, but it can be worked with. The lag comes from the camera needing to focus. That's because with it being a "real camera" there really are lenses that need to move to get the image to become clear. With some of the other cellphone cameras they are fixed focus cameras, and there lenses are set for a certain focal range. So anything with in that range and the camera takes almost no time to achieve focus. That's one of the problems with working with a "real camera".
    There is noticeable lag when opening the Nokia Camera app, before ever getting around to focusing when using the DP.
    12-24-2014 10:16 AM
    There is noticeable lag when opening the Nokia Camera app, before ever getting around to focusing when using the DP.
    Hey my music player is slow to open also, some apps just take time to open,
    Even if it was a real camera, high end or just a low level point and shoot camera, those too are not instantly on and ready to take a picture.

i feel that we are just grasping at straws now...
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-24-2014 10:32 AM
    If you do a test where you put the Icon against another device (I used the Lumia 520 and the 635) on the fringes of a Wi-Fi network, I can almost guarantee that you'll see how much weaker the reception on the Icon is. It is the same no matter which OS version I use.
    12-24-2014 11:17 AM
    I think some of us just notice it more, honestly. But it's definitely on enough Icons with enough OS versions that if it is software related it is a firmware issue not an OS issue.

Also, I think we're talking about two issues. The problem with dropping Wi-Fi connection and/or not being able to connect might be a software issue. The poor reception is IMO more likely a hardware design flaw.
    12-24-2014 11:19 AM
    The Icon (like the 930) will NEVER get glance due to hardware restrictions of the display. Sorry.
    Yep, knew that but just watch how many ask where it is when Denim/Cyan is released. A bit of sarcasm on my part.
    DavidinCT and wes.in.wa like this.
    12-24-2014 01:14 PM
2,618 ... 3738394041 ...