01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 5253545556 ...
tools
    I think it's really too bad that you have this frame of mind. The fact of the matter is that it's already been announced, and confirmed among major cellular carriers including Verizon, that this update will be arriving in early February. So be a little more patient, because the Icon will be getting Cortana in the next few weeks.

As for everyone railing against Verizon, keep in mind that they do all of this, for YOU. They want the experience that a customer gets to be so phenomenal, and bug-free, that they test the crap out of not only software updates, but new phones in general, to make sure it lives up to their standards. This is so that when you do finally get the new phone, or the update, you won't have to go through all kinds of hassle because something was overlooked and now your phone isn't working and as a result you've missed an important business call, etc. Is it sucky to have to wait? Sure it is. But would I rather a top-notch, properly working bug-free product? Definitely. It's like when a gaming company delays the launch of their new game so they can work out the bugs they found. Gamers hate having to wait longer, but when the game finally launches and it's a gorgeous game with little to no issues, it was SO worth the wait.

[End of rant]
    Are you saying Verizon's own software and their network sucks worse than any other carrier's in the world? Because everyone else has managed to update to 8.1 and Cyan, except Verizon. Or maybe they're just lazier than everyone else.
    01-22-2015 10:14 PM
    As for everyone railing against Verizon, keep in mind that they do all of this, for YOU. They want the experience that a customer gets to be so phenomenal, and bug-free, that they test the crap out of not only software updates, but new phones in general, to make sure it lives up to their standards.

So glad they're looking out for me by protecting me from all the latest and greatest equipment too. Took them a year to get iPhone. At&t got the great Nokia phones.
    miketworld929 likes this.
    01-22-2015 11:04 PM
    Uh.. well since Verizon is doing all this FOR YOU. Can't they hold off on the stupid emails advising me to Start the NEW YEAR with something new and start using Cortana until I actually have Cortana.
    Its like a tease to tell someone to use something before they actually can. It is a BAD advertising idea on their part!
    01-23-2015 06:32 AM
    I know it is unlikely for this to happen, but it may ease the frustration that has lasted for untold weeks and months if I could be helped to understand what was the big holdup. There are many that have been using the PFD for months (not me) and have not had major issues as a whole. Can we expect performance improvements because of this long cycle or will it simply be what is expected?

Being reasonable, this has just been an extremely long process for us as consumers.
    I understand and believe me that internally at MS they know that too. Remember employees are also consumers and when stuff like this happens it affects us too.

To the other poster asking about timing, again I can't say anything because I'd like to keep my job :-) All I can say is hold on just a little bit longer.
    01-23-2015 06:54 AM
    If we take you at your word that you do have a source internally, why should we should be believe it's close if Microsoft is still testing it? Microsoft is not the arbiter of when this will be released to the Icon, VZW is.

We've been strung along since 8.1 was announced. All we've gotten is BS promises. Nothing personal, of course, but this phone has been cursed since its earliest days and until I see an update, I'm calling BS on this, too.
    Remember that's it's a combination of OS update and firmware . So yes, Microsoft continues testing. Think about iterative software development. OS piece may be fine, they report firmware issue, they update FW, now test everything again to make sure you didn't break anything. Rinse, repeat. These things take time unfortunately. Programs like DP do help product teams collect telemetry to help issues.
    aximtreo, Kieta and jbclemons like this.
    01-23-2015 06:58 AM
    So, early February, right? And will we ever get an explanation as to why it's been almost a year before an update?
    01-23-2015 07:10 AM
    So, early February, right? And will we ever get an explanation as to why it's been almost a year before an update?
    I don't think they owe us an explanation. It takes whatever time it takes and is determined by how many resources they put on the problem. It will come and we will have what we want.
    01-23-2015 07:35 AM
    They didn't owe us an explanation in September. They owe us one now.
    kloar likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:28 AM
    I am well aware of the combination, but again, all we have is promises about a phone that was retired about 7 months after it was released. A flagship phone which was sold with the promise of early updates and still remains the only Windows 8 phone on the planet that hasn't seen any update at all.

Remember, it was Microsoft that promised the Icon would be first in line for Denim and we never even got Cyan. I can't buy this "testing" BS anymore. There is something far more involved. Nothing takes this long to test and flagship phones don't get dumped after 7 months.
    01-23-2015 08:31 AM
    They didn't owe us an explanation in September. They owe us one now.
    And we've gotten one: They're testing, there's problems with VZ's apps and MS's firmware...that's the official explanation. While very true that it wasn't what we all wanted to hear (and also probably 95% bullcrap), unfortunately, that's all we're going to get.

Some here won't be happy until Mr. Verizon gets an account here and PMs an apology to everyone that's ever posted in the Icon thread.
    Kieta likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:39 AM
    I should rephrase that. We deserve the truth.

BTW, that is not the official explanation...it's nothing but speculation.

Better? :)
    01-23-2015 08:43 AM
    I should rephrase that. We deserve the truth.

BTW, that is not the official explanation...it's nothing but speculation.

Better? :)

You can't handle the truth! Lol just kidding I would as well as we all would expect from a company that takes our hard earned money should deal with its consumers truthfully and not feed us tons of crap. Unfortunately I guess we don't pay big red enough to get the truth.
    01-23-2015 09:22 AM
    This weekend ? Can I hope (plan to get snowed in here in NE, would be a good thing to pass the time)....

To people saying we wont get a update, we will, We will get Denim....That is on schedule to be released (hope sooner than later) now, Windows 10, that is WHOLE different story.
    01-23-2015 09:43 AM
    I wonder if Verizon offered the following choice to its customers, what would people choose?
    "Verizon Customer, there are issues between the MS firmware update in Denim and our awesome added-on VZ apps. You can have the Denim upgrade right now...HOWEVER, if you choose to do so, you MUST relinquish all of our awesome added-on VZ apps. Your choice, please. We're waiting..."
    01-23-2015 10:04 AM
    I work for Microsoft and I know people internally who are testing it. I can't say much since what i say could (and shouldn't) be construed as "official", but trust me it really is close.
    Friend at Verizon told me they got the test notice for 8.1 for the Icon. I didn't ask if that meant Denim, but at least it's finally gotten back to VZ.
    MikeSo, Kieta and jbclemons like this.
    01-23-2015 10:05 AM
    Thanks for the information! Gives me hope for denim.
    01-23-2015 10:06 AM
    I wonder if Verizon offered the following choice to its customers, what would people choose?
    "Verizon Customer, there are issues between the MS firmware update in Denim and our awesome added-on VZ apps. You can have the Denim upgrade right now...HOWEVER, if you choose to do so, you MUST relinquish all of our awesome added-on VZ apps. Your choice, please. We're waiting..."
    Seeing as how I (and I'm gonna guess most of us) have long ago deleted the awesome added-on VZ apps, I'll take that option...
    01-23-2015 10:07 AM
    Definitely. It's like when a gaming company delays the launch of their new game so they can work out the bugs they found. Gamers hate having to wait longer, but when the game finally launches and it's a gorgeous game with little to no issues, it was SO worth the wait.

[End of rant]
    Except developers and publishers typically give a release date. They don't say a game is "coming soon" then just launch it whenever they want. If there is a delay, most of the time they are incredibly transparent about what caused it.

Your red shirt is showing.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-23-2015 10:11 AM
    Lol.. The first thing I did when I got this phone was uninstall all of Verizon's apps.

DavidinCT likes this.
    01-23-2015 10:12 AM
    Friend at Verizon told me they got the test notice for 8.1 for the Icon. I didn't ask if that meant Denim, but at least it's finally gotten back to VZ.
    Sorry, I should probably know this, but what is a "test notice?"
    01-23-2015 10:32 AM
    01-23-2015 11:08 AM
    I have no clue either. I hope it's how they're testing OTA deployment
    01-23-2015 11:54 AM
    Seeing as how I (and I'm gonna guess most of us) have long ago deleted the awesome added-on VZ apps, I'll take that option...
    Odd story, but the other day I was "shopping" at a local AT&T store and was talking to one of their sales reps about switching. We were then talking about their offerings for Windows phones and this rep told me something very odd, he told me that I would probably miss the VZ navigator app. I was a little confused and asked if I heard him correctly, and he went on to tell me that he really likes that app. He told me his personal phone is from VZW and he uses VZ navigator all the time and thinks it's one of the best navigation apps. I was very confused and just stopped talking and walked out of the store backwards...

All my VZW apps were deleted right after the phone was activated, so am i missing something? has VZnav gotten better?
    01-23-2015 01:03 PM
    It's not a bad option, but not worth paying for...
    01-23-2015 01:06 PM
    Soak test maybe? They send the OTA to certain devices to test how it affects both the devices and the network.
    01-23-2015 01:07 PM
2,618 ... 5253545556 ...