01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 5354555657 ...
tools
    Odd story, but the other day I was "shopping" at a local AT&T store and was talking to one of their sales reps about switching. We were then talking about their offerings for Windows phones and this rep told me something very odd, he told me that I would probably miss the VZ navigator app. I was a little confused and asked if I heard him correctly, and he went on to tell me that he really likes that app. He told me his personal phone is from VZW and he uses VZ navigator all the time and thinks it's one of the best navigation apps. I was very confused and just stopped talking and walked out of the store backwards...

All my VZW apps were deleted right after the phone was activated, so am i missing something? has VZnav gotten better?
    I used VZ Navigator for a couple of years. It is actually pretty decent. At the time it was better than Google Navigator. However, as Google caught up I switched to Google and saved myself like $50-60 dollars a year. Once I moved to Windows Phone I switched to Here+ Drive. It's biggest problem wasn't quality of the app, it is that you have to pay a subscription fee for it. If Verizon offered it for free, I would consider going back to it.
    01-23-2015 01:12 PM
    ...It's biggest problem wasn't quality of the app, it is that you have to pay a subscription fee for it. If Verizon offered it for free, I would consider going back to it.
    Right and don't the Windows phones from AT&T have the Nokia navigation apps?
    01-23-2015 01:42 PM
    Right and don't the Windows phones from AT&T have the Nokia navigation apps?
    ALL Windows phones can run Nokia's Here+ Drive regardless of carrier.
    arbyjr likes this.
    01-23-2015 01:45 PM
    i though so, but was confused. I'm not trying to say that they are better, but they work very well and are free.

Sorry for going off topic...
    01-23-2015 01:48 PM
    Soak test maybe? They send the OTA to certain devices to test how it affects both the devices and the network.
    I wish I got one
    01-23-2015 02:18 PM
    Just slightly off topic...

I bought an Icon off an eBay seller a few weeks ago in anticipation of the Denim release. While waiting, I have set it all up the way I like but I needed a sim for the phone (I currently have a Lumia 822 and the sim is a different size). Yesterday I went into my local Verizon store to get the sim and get the phone activated. The sim and activation was free.

While I was waiting, I was looking around and I saw the HTC m8 for windows. Looked a bit further and found a Lumia 928. Looked around a bit more and found an Icon on display. I'm not sure what it all means but it was nice to see some windows phones on display.
    01-23-2015 02:50 PM
    Unless the Icon was running Denim, it means nothing. Verizon has already stated they are still selling the Icon in some stores.
    01-23-2015 02:54 PM
    Just got an icon today. The previous owner must have installed dev preview because the phone says it's running 8.1. Will I have to do anything special when the update comes out? Is it possible to revert to stock if my phone starts getting buggy?
    01-23-2015 04:06 PM
    No you do not have to do anytimg special to get the update. But you can go to SETTINGS > PHONE UPDATE > and mark or clear a box to your liking)
    You can use the Lumia software recover tool to get the last official OS for your phone.
    See below link
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=u6alvGEh

Enjoy your Icon.
    01-23-2015 04:15 PM
    I'm waiting patiently for Denim and all, what i want to is what do we have to do/wait for to get the "Hey Cortana" update. Is that a firmware update? or a software update...for phones running Denim only...?
    01-23-2015 07:38 PM
    Comments like these give me cancer
    We need a "That's frickin' funny" button!
    Kasey Pierce likes this.
    01-23-2015 07:39 PM
    I'm waiting patiently for Denim and all, what i want to is what do we have to do/wait for to get the "Hey Cortana" update. Is that a firmware update? or a software update...for phones running Denim only...?
    my understanding is the Denim firmware makes use of the passive-voice listening function available on our snapdragon 800 processor and that will enable us to use "Hey Cortana"

Denim firmware & snapdragon 800+ processor and your phone will have access to the Hey Cortana features
    Kasey Pierce likes this.
    01-23-2015 07:50 PM
    Yes, basically the sd800 series has a smaller companion core like the Tegra, but Qualcomm keeps it locked down. They even threatened legal action to someone who reverse engineered a nexus 5 for passive listening. Nokia made a deal however, and used it as sensorcore. The deal happened after Lumia black came out, so it's locked down on our icons. The cyan update should have activated it, but apparently they were too busy "testing" to push the update, but it'll come with denim, if denim ever comes.
    jbclemons and Kasey Pierce like this.
    01-23-2015 08:47 PM
    I can't help but feel my phone will see a build of windows 10 before I see denim... Or emerald for that matter. This must be what it feels like to be a Jets fan...
    manders500 likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:28 PM
    Windows insider says "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is coming in February"
    01-23-2015 11:41 PM
    ALL Windows phones can run Nokia's Here+ Drive regardless of carrier.
    Not fully 100% correct. Nokia based phones get access to the global maps. Other devices will only get access to Nokia Here's maps in their local country. All devices can use it, with limitations on Non-Nokia phones... If they want the global features, they have to pay extra.

Unless this has changed ? Not that it will effect everyone (929 here and never have left the US)....

Windows insider says "Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones is coming in February"
    Still almost betting that we will get Windows 10 before we get Denim but, I hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 01-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    01-24-2015 10:37 AM
    Looks that way. Fine by me. #Windows Insider
    01-24-2015 11:16 AM
    It's not fine by me. No way I'm putting 10 on there without first hearing from others and without Denim. Too risky this early in the game.

When we got 8.1 was pretty much done, that is not the case with 10.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-24-2015 11:44 AM
    It's not fine by me. No way I'm putting 10 on there without first hearing from others and without Denim. Too risky this early in the game.

When we got 8.1 was pretty much done, that is not the case with 10.
    We'll if Win10 hits DP hits, not sure I would skip over it but, your right, just because we upgrade to the DP of 10, does not mean we will get the feature set of Denim (4K recording, "Hey Cortana" etc..)

Just wish Verizon would finish their "testing" and release the dam thing. I really hope after this long we are talking a total bug free experience. This is Verizon, I would bet they have 10 people testing it as they don't want to spend any money on something that wont make them more money in the long run (as the phone is no longer available from Verizon...UNLESS they plan on re-releasing it with Denim)
    01-24-2015 12:07 PM
    did we hit the max number of pages? everything just stopped, or did i miss the notice to take the day off?
    01-25-2015 06:48 PM
    No clue. I thought the subscription alert wasn't working
    01-25-2015 06:54 PM
    did we hit the max number of pages? everything just stopped, or did i miss the notice to take the day off?
    I think everyone is just sick of this forum which btw is not going to get any of us what we want. Updates! Till then even though I will be checking here, phone update and phone insider. Good luck to you all.
    01-25-2015 06:54 PM
    I'm still holding out hope for February, and the employee who accidentally admitted it would come then. Maybe they're trying to coincide with the windows 10 release
    01-25-2015 06:57 PM
    Nah... It's Sunday and everybody slept in... as they should.
    01-25-2015 07:50 PM
    I bought a new pair of jeans today. Sort of related, right?
    01-25-2015 07:57 PM
2,618 ... 5354555657 ...