01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 6162636465 ...
tools
    So, out of curiosity, what does everyone think of MS investing in Cyanogen?
    01-29-2015 06:48 PM
    I guess MS is looking at releasing a one+ type phone loaded with MS apps?, I am really not sure where MS is going with this investment but I can say that the one+ phone with cyanogen is a very nice phone because I have a friend that uses a one+ on AT&T (or maybe on T-Mobile I forget) and it is a nice looking phone and it has some great specs

it would be interesting to see what cyanogen and MS would come up with on a nice piece of hardware like the one+ and I support the idea of a affordable unlocked phone you can use in the US, carrier exclusives phones in the US can die for all I care
    01-29-2015 07:27 PM
    Early February?.........So it should be between February 1-14. If it doesn't come out during that time, VERIZON is a F***** liar.........
    01-29-2015 07:47 PM
    Ben, I know it was for AT&T, but spec wise other than screen size they are nearly identical. I think something went horribly wrong for the icon that nobody wants to admit
    01-29-2015 07:49 PM
    I guess MS is looking at releasing a one+ type phone loaded with MS apps?, I am really not sure where MS is going with this investment but I can say that the one+ phone with cyanogen is a very nice phone because I have a friend that uses a one+ on AT&T (or maybe on T-Mobile I forget) and it is a nice looking phone and it has some great specs

it would be interesting to see what cyanogen and MS would come up with on a nice piece of hardware like the one+ and I support the idea of a affordable unlocked phone you can use in the US, carrier exclusives phones in the US can die for all I care
    Didn't they already try something like this with the Nokia X? A non windows OS running MS services central to the UX?
    01-29-2015 07:55 PM
    I'd just figured that it was a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation. WP10 isn't ready for primetime yet, and it'll still need time to build the app ecosystem, and cyanogenmod is more ready to steal away market share from Google. Then, MS can bake in their services, and make it a more easily accessible Nokia x. It can act as a gateway to Windows Phone.
    01-29-2015 07:56 PM
    Didn't they already try something like this with the Nokia X? A non windows OS running MS services central to the UX?
    Cyanogenmod is far more popular and easily portable to other devices
    jazz70 likes this.
    01-29-2015 07:57 PM
    I personally feel that given the price of the phone, and the abrupt pulling it off the market that Verizon should offer a trade in program for Icon users. Let people who feel slighted by the way that Verizon is handling the whole affair turn in their Icons for either a high end android or apple with no change to their contract. I am very unhappy with Verizon AND Microsoft in the way this flagship phone has been handled. I would gladly go back to android after this attempt to go with WP.
    Was a guy on here that was given a Droid Turbo in exchange for his Icon.
    01-29-2015 08:12 PM
    Alright, so here's what I found out from some digging today at the office. First, Icon/denim is in the "Lab" phase, and is still, at this time, on track for early February. I tried, but could not get a specific date. As for why all Nokia phones disappeared from the Verizon website not so long ago: this is because Microsoft is in the midst of re-branding everything so that it will no longer be the "Microsoft Nokia Lumia Icon" as an example, because that would be a mouth full, and they are dropping the Nokia branding all together. And while the Icon will continue to be supported, and the flagship phone, Microsoft is preparing for the launch of a new Lumia-family Verizon exclusive phone which will drop in the first quarter of this year.

So there you have it.
    01-29-2015 08:17 PM
    Interesting, I have been trying to get Softcard on my ICON for weeks now, searching in the store under "Softcard" and "Soft Card" would give no results, today, it showed up. Maybe this is a hint that Denim is coming soon ?

And the ICON was shipped with a Secure SIM according to what I read, so if you want to try "tap to pay" do a search to see if you can find it...

Crossing my fingers that it's a hit that Denim is coming but, take that with a grain of salt...
    Yes. It does come with a secure SIM. I installed Softcard earlier this week, and it works perfectly. The one downside is the limitations of card types you can use. Otherwise it's great. Evidently, it just needs WP8.1. The firmware seems to be irrelevant.
    01-29-2015 08:30 PM
    So... is it worth messing with DP if it may be a few weeks until Denim comes out (I hope)?
    01-29-2015 08:34 PM
    Yes. It does come with a secure SIM. I installed Softcard earlier this week, and it works perfectly. The one downside is the limitations of card types you can use. Otherwise it's great. Evidently, it just needs WP8.1. The firmware seems to be irrelevant.
    Just looked at the Softcard list (3 banks) compared to the Apple Pay list (too many to count). Unbelievable.

And of course, my bank is on the AP list but not the Softcard one. Can I blame Verizon for this too? Pleeeeeease.
    01-29-2015 08:45 PM
    I was also told that I should be contacting Microsoft and Nokia regarding updates, so I responded....Microsoft sends YOU the update, you modify it for YOUR network and you do testing before it's approved for release, I already talked to Microsoft and Nokia, it's Verizon that is causing the delay.
    Actually, Verizon doesn't modify ANY of it. It's not Verizon's OS nor is it Verizon's firmware. If Verizon finds a problem they tell Microsoft. If it is a firmware issue, then Microsoft has to kick it back to the OEM. In the case of the CDMA, WiFi, Bluetooth, GSM, and LTE radios, it goes back to Qualcomm. Qualcomm manufactured the Snapdragon 800, not Microsoft. Qualcomm fixes whatever is causing the problem in the firmware, tests it, then sends the updated firmware to Microsoft, who then updates its build, does its own internal testing then sends the new build back to Verizon for testing and approval. The same rules that prevent Microsoft from updating the firmware of the Icon without Verizon's permission are the same rules that prevent Verizon from fixing any problems with the firmware or OS it finds. Microsoft owns and controls the OS, Qualcomm owns and controls the firmware of the Snapdragon 800, and Verizon owns and controls the CDMA key and the network that the Icon connects to.
    nufan947 likes this.
    01-29-2015 08:46 PM
    MS could do a HELL of a lot more to appease their customers. Joe B, this means you.
    What EXACTLY can Microsoft do? It's not up to them when it comes with approving updated software on carrier branded devices. Verizon has final say when it comes to what devices are allowed on its network.
    01-29-2015 08:51 PM
    Just looked at the Softcard list (3 banks) compared to the Apple Pay list (too many to count). Unbelievable.

And of course, my bank is on the AP list but not the Softcard one. Can I blame Verizon for this too? Pleeeeeease.
    While the bank list is short, you can use the Amex Serve card with any bank. An extra step only during setup. And many of us have regular Amex cards which work directly.

I think the cumbersome payment procedure is a bigger obstacle, myself. But at least it works on the Icon. Supposedly, I haven't tried it yet. :)

The fact that it only works on 8.1 might be a sign we're getting it soon! Yeah.... LOL
    gernerttl and Tjarren like this.
    01-29-2015 08:58 PM

Here is the thread for Softcard. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ml#post2963831. Many of your questions and concerns are answered there.

Oh and you can only partially blame Verizon for the limited cards you can use. Softcard (formerly known as Isis) is a collaboration between Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. It actually has been around longer than Apple Pay (by a couple years).
    Last edited by gernerttl; 01-29-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-29-2015 09:02 PM
    Off topic, but this thread has talked about things like denim underwear, so why not. When I saw MS is investing in Cyanogen, I was thinking maybe this could be used on Windows Phone to run Android apps, bringing down the app gap.
    01-29-2015 09:32 PM
    Off topic, but this thread has talked about things like denim underwear, so why not. When I saw MS is investing in Cyanogen, I was thinking maybe this could be used on Windows Phone to run Android apps, bringing down the app gap.
    slj.gif
    01-29-2015 10:40 PM
    I feel like my initial question got lost in the above conversation, so in an attempt to bring the thread back on topic, if I am still on 8.0/Black, should I consider developer's preview or should I wait it out a week or two in the hope that Denim comes out in a timely manner?

I really want to try 8.1 but if Denim is legitimately coming soon (without the attached trademark) then I feel like I should wait...
    01-29-2015 10:51 PM
    I feel like my initial question got lost in the above conversation, so in an attempt to bring the thread back on topic, if I am still on 8.0/Black, should I consider developer's preview or should I wait it out a week or two in the hope that Denim comes out in a timely manner?

I really want to try 8.1 but if Denim is legitimately coming soon (without the attached trademark) then I feel like I should wait...
    Unless there is some software you really want that only runs on 8.1, I'd say wait at this point. You should be able to go from Preview to Official without having to do a reset though, but if you're planning on doing a hard reset for the 8.1 upgrade I'd say wait. All signs point to the release being soon.
    gernerttl, SpaceyO and IcyPwnage like this.
    01-29-2015 11:41 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLJ.gif 
Views:	152 
Size:	942.7 KB 
ID:	95161
    Hey man, take it easy, denim underwear, AIN'T FUNNY!
    01-30-2015 08:11 AM
    So, was I right ? Today is Friday BEFORE the Superbowl, Microsoft can be quoted that they were going to release WIndows 10 (for phone) right after the superbowl.

I checked updates today (disabling the Dev program app) and there is no updates.

Verizon does not release updates over the weekend (I've never seen this but, I could be wrong).

Screwed up as it is, looks like we will be getting Windows 10 preview BEFORE Denim.....Let me guess, there will be an issue with it, so you wont be able to install Denim if you have W10 installed....watch...

Another great perk by being a Verizon wireless customer....F U Verizon...
    01-30-2015 08:22 AM
    Honestly, I won't be downloading Windows 10 on the Icon without a firmware update. I've had enough issues with 8.1 and Black.
    MikeSo likes this.
    01-30-2015 08:41 AM
    So, was I right ? Today is Friday BEFORE the Superbowl, Microsoft can be quoted that they were going to release WIndows 10 (for phone) right after the superbowl.

I checked updates today (disabling the Dev program app) and there is no updates.

Verizon does not release updates over the weekend (I've never seen this but, I could be wrong).

Screwed up as it is, looks like we will be getting Windows 10 preview BEFORE Denim.....Let me guess, there will be an issue with it, so you wont be able to install Denim if you have W10 installed....watch...

Another great perk by being a Verizon wireless customer....F U Verizon...
    Not that I think it's coming today, but Denim for the 822/928 didn't get released until 1pm EST....so hold your F Us for a couple hours :)
    DavidinCT likes this.
    01-30-2015 08:47 AM
    And my firmware is still Black after the extras+info update today in case anyone got somewhat excited as I did 😒
    wstanton likes this.
    01-30-2015 08:47 AM
2,618 ... 6162636465 ...