01-03-2017 01:41 PM
2,618 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Yeah Nokia was having firmware issues with the icon when it was supposed to be launched November of last year and that's why the launch was delayed
    10-21-2014 02:20 PM
    That is all fine, but why can we NOT get an official statement? Leaving an entire user base (on Big Red) in limbo has done no good for either Big Red OR Microsoft. If they suspect/confirm a problem, say it. Threads like this go bye-bye and people just wait for a solution. This is why I fear people mistrust Microsoft. They are afraid Microsoft will/has gotten too big and no longer cares.

C'mon man!
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-21-2014 02:34 PM
    Yeah Nokia was having firmware issues with the icon when it was supposed to be launched November of last year and that's why the launch was delayed
    That was before launch and obviously whatever showstopper issues they had were fixed. Is there any information to support your statement that they've had "nothing but problems" with the Icon since launch?
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-21-2014 03:01 PM
    With as many people that have reported problems with the wifi I wouldn't be surprised. And the fact that 8.1DP isn't without it's issues for some users would be another one. I love what 8.1 brings to my ICON but the problems it brings after using it for a while is why I reset and go back to 8.0.
    HarrBear likes this.
    10-21-2014 04:23 PM
    Ok, time for some real talk.

AT&T has released WP8.1 with Cyan (Lumia only) for all of it's Lumia devices going back to the 920 on their network. Awesome for them and those customers. I haven't heard anything about the 8X though and I'd imagine those customers are left in the dark too. Am I missing any?

T-Mobile has customers with the Lumia 925 and 521 that don't have WP8.1 w/ Cyan and 8X customers that don't have WP8.1. They have announced NOTHING regarding these phones or when/if they'll be updated. Nothing.

Sprint has the ATIV S Neo. One device. It has not been updated with WP8.1. They have announced NOTHING regarding that phone or when/if it will be updated.

Verizon has the Lumia 822, 928 and Icon, the HTC 8X and the Samsung ATIV SE all awaiting the WP8.1 update with Cyan (Lumia only). They have announced NOTHING regarding these phones or when/if they will be updated. HTC has announced that the 8X WILL receive WP8.1 on Verizon late this month.

So, I know this thread is about the Icon and Verizon in particular, but looking at the bigger picture, is Verizon acting any different than the other carriers? Granted I'm a bit ... perturbed by all of this, but let's keep a level head. The problem isn't JUST Verizon, it's all of the carriers (except AT&T ... if you have a Lumia).

The problem is all of the carriers. Repeat after me: the problem is all of the carriers! The problem is all of the carriers! ♪ The problem is all of the carriers! (what?) The problem is all of the carriers!! (who?) The problem is ALL of the carriers!!!
    MikeSo, quantum tao, Kieta and 1 others like this.
    10-21-2014 06:44 PM
    That is all fine, but why can we NOT get an official statement? Leaving an entire user base (on Big Red) in limbo has done no good for either Big Red OR Microsoft. If they suspect/confirm a problem, say it. Threads like this go bye-bye and people just wait for a solution. This is why I fear people mistrust Microsoft. They are afraid Microsoft will/has gotten too big and no longer cares.

C'mon man!
    This is the KEY point. Whatever the reason just put out a statement instead of leaving us in the dark. If Verizon is too busy dealing with better selling phones just say that in a nicer way. Instead of letting all of this bitterness fester just let us in on what's going on. I would much rather have an answer that I don't like than no answer at all.
    MikeSo likes this.
    10-21-2014 06:59 PM
    Tjarren, good points. AT&T is the outlier here, but let's remember that the Icon was the newest phone without 8.1 and it was heavily implied that it would receive 8.1 fairly quickly (in fact 8.1 was supposed to be out in the summer for all devices).
    But let's be clear on one thing: The idea that this is a delay because of technical issues seems extremely far fetched when you consider that the vast majority of devices in the world, including the twin model 930 as well as the similar 1520, have been updated just fine. CDMA, sure, but it's not some new unproven tech they haven't dealt with. Most likely CDMA is not the problem, strategy and politics is.
    10-21-2014 07:31 PM
    Tjarren, good points. AT&T is the outlier here, but let's remember that the Icon was the newest phone without 8.1 and it was heavily implied that it would receive 8.1 fairly quickly (in fact 8.1 was supposed to be out in the summer for all devices).
    But let's be clear on one thing: The idea that this is a delay because of technical issues seems extremely far fetched when you consider that the vast majority of devices in the world, including the twin model 930 as well as the similar 1520, have been updated just fine. CDMA, sure, but it's not some new unproven tech they haven't dealt with. Most likely CDMA is not the problem, strategy and politics is.
    But we don't really have any actual evidence of the bolded. We have a lot of supposition and analysis, but very little in the way of facts. Maybe it's because of where I frequent there, but the newer ATIV SE should be even more 8.1 ready and doesn't have to wait for firmware release, right?

Trust me, I'm definitely not one to defend Verizon. We definitely have a marriage of convenience. But, that being said, as I outlined above, Verizon's failures are shared among 3 of the 4 big carriers, in worse ways at times. Though they may have older devices, they also have less to update and, in the case of Sprint they have no Cyan firmware to hold them up. T-Mobile has no CDMA radios to cater too either.

As I mentioned in previous comments, outside of AT&T the only thing that we have heard about a WP8 device receiving an update is HTC saying the 8X on Verizon would receive it in late October and maybe that's the time frame that we should've been watching all along.
    10-21-2014 09:21 PM
    The problem is all of the carriers. Repeat after me: the problem is all of the carriers! The problem is all of the carriers! ♪ The problem is all of the carriers! (what?) The problem is all of the carriers!! (who?) The problem is ALL of the carriers!!! ♫
    Naw. The problem is Verizon. Verizon is not comparable to T-Mobile and Sprint. Verizon is comparable to AT&T, and thus, should be held to a similar standard when it comes to delivery of updates. I could post many metrics to prove this. You've actually already posted one yourself with regards to the # of phones available on each carrier. I'll post just one metric that says it all.

Net Income of each company according to their annual reports in 2013:

http://investor.t-mobile.com/Cache/1...T=&iid=4091145
    http://www.verizon.com/investor/app_..._financial.pdf
    http://www.att.com/Investor/ATT_Annu...cialreview.pdf

AT&T 2013 Net Income: $18.55 Billion
    Verizon 2013 Net Income: $23.55 Billion
    T-Mobile 2013 Net Income: $35 million

It's not even close. Verizon has the most accounts, charges the most for those accounts, has the highest income (that's net income NOT revenue). Yet they are delivering the worst support. Comparing them to T-Mobile and Sprint is equivalent to comparing your mom and pop pantry to Whole Foods.

Verizon is acting like a massive corporation that doesn't care about the 4% of their customers that use Windows Phones.

T-Mobile is acting like a company that's just trying to get by.
    MikeSo and jazz70 like this.
    10-22-2014 09:00 AM
    I came over from Sprint, and when I wanted to go WP, I had 2 choices, Samsung (and I'm not a Samsung fan) and the HTC 8XT which I couldn't even find at ANY Sprint stores to try out, and there were NO Lumia devices at all! I'm not a Verizon defender either, but it's more WP friendly than Sprint.
    10-22-2014 09:07 AM
    Verizon is acting like a massive corporation that doesn't care about the 4% of their customers that use Windows Phones.

T-Mobile is acting like a company that's just trying to get by.
    Actually, each company's reasons for delaying the update are similar. The reason is to push the sale of new devices. Microsoft is complicit here too. Carriers charge fees to test updated firmware. Microsoft does not want to pay large fees for a small percent of the userbase. Look at those pie charts.

Also, the OM8FW is supposedly being updated today with HTC Eye Experience support. U mad bro?
    10-22-2014 09:27 AM
    I really want to get the Miracast dongle that Microsoft just released, however I'm not spending my money on it until I get Miracast support on my phone. I do remember way back when the Cyan schedule was leaked, the Icon was left off of that list. It could be possible that since the icon was delayed for so long when it first came out that there is possibly a newer device to replace it. Microsoft had released its low end models 530 & 630, them it's mid range 730 & 830, next up on the schedule would be the high end models.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-22-2014 09:56 AM
    There has been leaks of a Microsoft branded phone without the Nokia name, I think that is coming next. And possibly why it has been retired
    10-22-2014 09:59 AM
    I really want to get the Miracast dongle that Microsoft just released, however I'm not spending my money on it until I get Miracast support on my phone. I do remember way back when the Cyan schedule was leaked, the Icon was left off of that list. It could be possible that since the icon was delayed for so long when it first came out that there is possibly a newer device to replace it. Microsoft had released its low end models 530 & 630, them it's mid range 730 & 830, next up on the schedule would be the high end models.
    That schedule you are talking about was for the BeNeLux region in Europe, where the 928 or Icon aren't sold since they are exclusive to the US.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    10-22-2014 10:01 AM
    Even if that issue came back for Cyan on the Icon, it doesn't explain the 928 not getting updated.

OldMillXxX likes this.
    10-22-2014 10:48 AM
    There has been leaks of a Microsoft branded phone without the Nokia name, I think that is coming next. And possibly why it has been retired
    Microsoft has now officially dropped the Nokia name for their phones, so future models will not have it. I don't think that has anything to do with current availability of the Icon.
    10-22-2014 01:31 PM
    I spoke to my Verizon corporate sales goon today: Apparently there were two versions of the Icon. He believes the 1st was retired and the 2nd version will get Cyan/WP8.1 soon (can you believe it?) The goon offered to research the Icon retirement situation and get back to me tomorrow - more to come!
    HarrBear and nunyazz like this.
    10-22-2014 01:34 PM
    I spoke to my Verizon corporate sales goon today: Apparently there were two versions of the Icon. He believes the 1st was retired and the 2nd version will get Cyan/WP8.1 soon (can you believe it?) The goon offered to research the Icon retirement situation and get back to me tomorrow - more to come!
    Goonies never say die!
    Tjarren likes this.
    10-22-2014 01:45 PM
    Nope, not believing it. :)

There were not two versions of the Icon, but maybe their inventory records had it that way for some reason, or they have a new version coming.
    10-22-2014 02:03 PM
    Sure there were. There was a black version and a white version. #sarcasm
    MikeSo, Tjarren and DavidinCT like this.
    10-22-2014 02:11 PM
    Nope, not believing it. :)

There were not two versions of the Icon, but maybe their inventory records had it that way for some reason, or they have a new version coming.
    The Icon for Windows without the Nokia stamp? That's a little tough to believe at this point.
    10-22-2014 02:27 PM
    Sure there were. There was a black version and a white version. #sarcasm
    That could be it as far as inventory goes actually.
    10-22-2014 03:44 PM
    Has anyone else questioned this fact? If the ICON is such a problem to update to 8.1/Cyan that Verizon retired the phone then why haven't they released 8.1/Cyan for the 822 & 928. That fact alone would have pointed out that these two phones had no problems updating and the problem must be with the ICON only.

They haven't updated any of the WP's so I have to think that Verizon/Network/CDMA system is a problem for Nokia Phones throughout. They could release the updates for the other than ICON phones but hey haven't.

They are continuing to sell the 928 which makes no sense to me at all.

What other thoughts do some of our members have on this set of facts?
    Last edited by aximtreo; 10-22-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add info
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    10-22-2014 04:59 PM
    Has anyone else questioned this fact? If the ICON is such a problem to update to 8.1/Cyan that Verizon retired the phone then why haven't they released 8.1/Cyan for the 822 & 928. That fact alone would have pointed out that these two phones had no problems updating and the problem must be with the ICON only.

They haven't updated any of the WP's so I have to think that Verizon/Network/CDMA system is a problem for Nokia Phones throughout. They could release the updates for the other than ICON phones but hey haven't.

They are continuing to sell the 928 which makes no sense to me at all.

What other thoughts do some of our members have on this set of facts?
    At least we have HTC saying that we can "expect the 8x to get 8.1 at the end of October."
    10-22-2014 05:13 PM
    I know someone who has a Lumia test phone that came with Cyan already installed and she reports no problems with the software.....so I think the chatter about the software not being compatible is wrong. Something else is holding this up.
    10-22-2014 05:18 PM
2,618 ... 56789 ...