Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is acting like a massive corporation that doesn't care about the 4% of their customers that use Windows Phones.

T-Mobile is acting like a company that's just trying to get by.

Actually, each company's reasons for delaying the update are similar. The reason is to push the sale of new devices. Microsoft is complicit here too. Carriers charge fees to test updated firmware. Microsoft does not want to pay large fees for a small percent of the userbase. Look at those pie charts.

Also, the OM8FW is supposedly being updated today with HTC Eye Experience support. U mad bro?

Vincent Pellicone

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I really want to get the Miracast dongle that Microsoft just released, however I'm not spending my money on it until I get Miracast support on my phone. I do remember way back when the Cyan schedule was leaked, the Icon was left off of that list. It could be possible that since the icon was delayed for so long when it first came out that there is possibly a newer device to replace it. Microsoft had released its low end models 530 & 630, them it's mid range 730 & 830, next up on the schedule would be the high end models.

Dreamspell

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I really want to get the Miracast dongle that Microsoft just released, however I'm not spending my money on it until I get Miracast support on my phone. I do remember way back when the Cyan schedule was leaked, the Icon was left off of that list. It could be possible that since the icon was delayed for so long when it first came out that there is possibly a newer device to replace it. Microsoft had released its low end models 530 & 630, them it's mid range 730 & 830, next up on the schedule would be the high end models.

That schedule you are talking about was for the BeNeLux region in Europe, where the 928 or Icon aren't sold since they are exclusive to the US.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
There has been leaks of a Microsoft branded phone without the Nokia name, I think that is coming next. And possibly why it has been retired

Microsoft has now officially dropped the Nokia name for their phones, so future models will not have it. I don't think that has anything to do with current availability of the Icon.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
I spoke to my Verizon corporate sales goon today: Apparently there were two versions of the Icon. He believes the 1st was retired and the 2nd version will get Cyan/WP8.1 soon (can you believe it?) The goon offered to research the Icon retirement situation and get back to me tomorrow - more to come!

kloar

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to my Verizon corporate sales goon today: Apparently there were two versions of the Icon. He believes the 1st was retired and the 2nd version will get Cyan/WP8.1 soon (can you believe it?) The goon offered to research the Icon retirement situation and get back to me tomorrow - more to come!

Goonies never say die!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not believing it. :)

There were not two versions of the Icon, but maybe their inventory records had it that way for some reason, or they have a new version coming.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope, not believing it. :)

There were not two versions of the Icon, but maybe their inventory records had it that way for some reason, or they have a new version coming.

The Icon for Windows without the Nokia stamp? That's a little tough to believe at this point.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone else questioned this fact? If the ICON is such a problem to update to 8.1/Cyan that Verizon retired the phone then why haven't they released 8.1/Cyan for the 822 & 928. That fact alone would have pointed out that these two phones had no problems updating and the problem must be with the ICON only.

They haven't updated any of the WP's so I have to think that Verizon/Network/CDMA system is a problem for Nokia Phones throughout. They could release the updates for the other than ICON phones but hey haven't.

They are continuing to sell the 928 which makes no sense to me at all.

What other thoughts do some of our members have on this set of facts?

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else questioned this fact? If the ICON is such a problem to update to 8.1/Cyan that Verizon retired the phone then why haven't they released 8.1/Cyan for the 822 & 928. That fact alone would have pointed out that these two phones had no problems updating and the problem must be with the ICON only.

They haven't updated any of the WP's so I have to think that Verizon/Network/CDMA system is a problem for Nokia Phones throughout. They could release the updates for the other than ICON phones but hey haven't.

At least we have HTC saying that we can "expect the 8x to get 8.1 at the end of October."

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I know someone who has a Lumia test phone that came with Cyan already installed and she reports no problems with the software.....so I think the chatter about the software not being compatible is wrong. Something else is holding this up.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

None of the other US GSM networks have updated their phones either only AT&T.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)