Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Even if its true it doesn't matter. Verizon has to add the CDMA keys to the firmware or it won't work.

At this point, its likely they are the exact same phones with a different firmware on
them to allow different frequencies and different technologies. It doesn't make sense for Qualcomm to manufacture CDMA specific chips now that they have to incorporate the GSM and LTE radios for global roaming and LTE. Just look at the iPhone 6, the AT&T iPhone and Verizon iPhone are the same model, but the VZW is unlocked and allows CDMA. Apple uses a Qualcomm radio/modem in the iPhone, so clearly the techology is there

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Even if its true it doesn't matter. Verizon has to add the CDMA keys to the firmware or it won't work.

What won't work? I'm confused. :) You said "The 930 and 929(Icon) aren't the same phone because of the CDMA radio. You can't interchange the firmware. Calling it the same phone would never hold up in court." That argument wouldn't work if they are indeed the same phone. We don't know what is required to make it work on Verizon (this "CDMA keys" business), but I seriously doubt that it is something terribly complicated. They might very well be using the exact same firmware.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm saying if it was possible to put the 930 firmware on the Icon (its not) and it actually had a CDMA radio (someone was claiming this because apparently the iphone on AT&T does) then it wouldn't work on Verizon anyway because you need the CDMA keys in the firmware. I promise there are no firmware ROMs for the 930 that have Verizon's CMDA keys. Even if the only real difference between the Cyan Icon firmware and the 930 firmware was the inclusion of Verizon's CDMA keys that difference alone is enough to ensure the phone won't work on Verizon.

What won't work? I'm confused. :) You said "The 930 and 929(Icon) aren't the same phone because of the CDMA radio. You can't interchange the firmware. Calling it the same phone would never hold up in court." That argument wouldn't work if they are indeed the same phone. We don't know what is required to make it work on Verizon (this "CDMA keys" business), but I seriously doubt that it is something terribly complicated. They might very well be using the exact same firmware.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This is what we heard about Lumia Denim update roll-out. | NPU

Denim to start shipping next week according to NOKIAPOWERUSER....not sure on how reliable they are but, It might be why Verizon has been holding out.

Maybe the ICON will be re-released in a few weeks....

If Verizon **IS** going to support Windows Phone, I would not be sure why they would drop the ICON, with Denim, your getting 4K video recording, Fast pictures, "Hey Cortnana" with out touching the phone....features that even not all your flagship Android devices have.

Never mind the camera is one of the best cameras on any phone that Verizon carries...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm saying if it was possible to put the 930 firmware on the Icon (its not) and it actually had a CDMA radio (someone was claiming this because apparently the iphone on AT&T does) then it wouldn't work on Verizon anyway because you need the CDMA keys in the firmware. I promise there are no firmware ROMs for the 930 that have Verizon's CMDA keys. Even if the only real difference between the Cyan Icon firmware and the 930 firmware was the inclusion of Verizon's CDMA keys that difference alone is enough to ensure the phone won't work on Verizon.

We must be talking past eachother.

TheRickshaw

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense, because it's nonsense. Their pretense that their Windows Phone users can simply be ignored has no defense. I dare say that Verizon is, in fact, trying to incense, and will offer no recompense.
(hmm, this wound up no where near the item I was replying to)

Last edited:

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok thank you for that link and I'm reading it right now, but what ever I do like close out or restart the phone it still says Lumia Denim, so how do I get this to "switch" back to black,

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon and Microsoft are really close to killing the WP ecosystem for me. With the announcement of the Nexus 6 yesterday, I am really close to scrapping the Icon and Verizon and buying the Nexus 6 when it comes out and using it on AT&T. This plan seems to have all the positives and none of the negatives of Icon/WP:

• Flagship-caliber hardware
  • Updates directly from Google
  • Excellent app support
  • Microsoft apps for XBox Music, Outlook.com, OneDrive
  • Wireless charging
  • Being able to tell Verizon to shove off

The only thing I would really miss is Cortana, I think. Anyone see anything I am not considering?

The 1520 is the same size as the Nexus 6, so just buy the unlocked 1520.3 and get the same AT&T service and the full benefits of Windows Phone.

anon(9079832)

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I manage my company's cell phone account with Verizon and recently inquired with our Business Account Executive thinking that he might have more information than the usual CSR's you encounter when calling Verizon customer service. I specifically asked if the Lumia Icon (929) would be getting an OS update from 8.0 to 8.1 (or Cyan). He forwarded my request to someone else in the organization (theoretically more knowledgeable than he) and the response was that the Icon will get the update to 8.1 and that it would be hopefully soon.

Who knows what soon means or even 8.1 (i.e., is it Cyan or Denim)? But I am comforted that someone on their corporate side actually responded and affirmed that the software will be updated. Take it for what it is worth.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm wondering why my extras+info has an "Device activation client 1.4.2.9" listed in it and yours doesn't Jazz70
that is a repost of the picture arbyjr posted but on my Extras + Info screen I don't see any line referring to "device activation client" (I am running the DP with the black firmware)

I would guess it has to do with activating your phone on the cellular carrier network but I don't see it anywhere on my screen :confused:

Trent Vann

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I missed that on the repost. Just curious, if you are updated on the developer preview what should your OS and Firmware versions read?

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone is on the developer preview also, but I have restarted the phone several times and it's still showing Lumia Denim.
I was in the car when I got the upgrade notification, and it was about 2 hours before I was able to post this pic, that's why the screen time is showing 2:3x,
I just got finished talked to my Microsoft rep this morning, and he was not sure why VZW has pulled the ICON (or he couldn't talk about it), anyways he told me that if you go with the developer preview, the warranty will not be voided, and if VZW does give any problems, any Microsoft store will down grade your phone to 8.0 no questions asked. He played with my phone for a few minutes then I left, and about 30 minutes later I got the notification,
After that I talked to a Verizon rep, and she said the the Nokia tables just updates to 8.1 on the 7 th, (or should have) and even though the ICON is not listed it's showing that an update is coming soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett