Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Even if I do, I've been following long enough to know that 20% of people here will say I'm making things up to "stir the pot," and 75% will think that the person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about. Sadly, I'll be inclined to think the latter, as well.

Agreed. Some simply need to complain. Doesn't matter the topic, doesn't matter the circumstance. It just happens.

Yea but, it's sad but, true....most Verizon employees don't know crap...

I would love to be once proven wrong by saying that a VZW employee said something and it was real but, over the years even in this forum, maybe 100+ times, I have NEVER been proven wrong on this.

So, yea, I might be one of the 75% but, I have facts and experience to back up the reason why I say it and most people do..

I really wish I could be proven wrong here....just once (now with Cyan or Denim coming)...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The new Microsoft Band fitness device requires Cyan for the Icon (needs BT 4.0). Not that I'm surprised anymore (everything new needs 8.1 and/or Cyan it seems).

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Amusing/Annoying but the Icon is still listed on this page for Verizon Sales.... Windows Phone | Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

WOW I've been away for a while because I got married/honeymoon close to 200 reply's unread.

This link actually kinda pisses me off. But my new theory is (idk if anyone else has speculated, if I'm repeating I apologize) they have been holding the update for the new Microsoft Band. I really don't think that VZW is done with WP or even wants to push it out. They have been paying for exclusivity with all the good WP's this year you don't do that if you want the platform to fail. We will most likely see 8.1/denim roll out in the coming weeks when VZW/Microsoft try to push this. It's all about that passive Cortana.\

In the meantime make sure all your Twitter rants include that you wish you could use the Microsoft Band with your phone.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that my 1020, when I refreshed it with the Nokia Recovery Tool, refreshed with Windows 8.1 and Cyan. Is the recovery tool a backdoor to getting 8.1 on Verizon devices? (I have a feeling that the answer is no, or else I would have seen people touting that option, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The Recovery Tool only installs the currently released firmware for your model. It does not update an Icon to Cyan.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has been answered, but I noticed that my 1020, when I refreshed it with the Nokia Recovery Tool, refreshed with Windows 8.1 and Cyan. Is the recovery tool a backdoor to getting 8.1 on Verizon devices? (I have a feeling that the answer is no, or else I would have seen people touting that option, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)

That is because the 1020 is authorized to run WP8.1/Cyan and is not on Verizon's list of supported devices. Had had been a Verizon branded phone, it would still be on WP8.0/Black.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Recovery Tool only installs the currently released firmware for your model. It does not update an Icon to Cyan.

When is the last time someone has looked to check the version on the recovery tool ? It seems there is a very high disconnect from Verizon and Nokia (or MS) with the ICON, so they might of updated it early if we are going to be getting it in a few days....

JK75

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought out my Verizon Edge agreement last night and now own my Icon, with nothing preventing me from moving to AT&T. I think I am going to go visit the AT&T store tonight. Now the question is whether to go Android or 1520. I am leaning toward 1520, but I do like app support. Have to think this over some more.

shann123

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought out my Verizon Edge agreement last night and now own my Icon, with nothing preventing me from moving to AT&T. I think I am going to go visit the AT&T store tonight. Now the question is whether to go Android or 1520. I am leaning toward 1520, but I do like app support. Have to think this over some more.

If you want to keep your Icon you can use it on Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM or do Page Plus. I think you'll lose LTE speeds with either option.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What apps in particular? There may be a good third party option if an official app is missing.

manders500

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Joebelfiore ? 2m2 minutes ago
Q's on update: yes we're working to get WP8.1/Cyan updates out. T-Mo 925 is done and 521 coming soon. Verizon work underway but farther off

MBrum3tt

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
So I talked to one of those Verizon reps yesterday, pretty sure they are real people. At least the one I talked to was. I know this because we talked about the video game Destiny for about an hour after he answered my questions haha, so definitely not a bot.

Anyways, he seemed honest and less useless than some of the others that you all have talked to. Basically he told me that since the official website says it is under testing, than it most definitely is under testing, but that there was no way to know whether the holdup was Microsoft's or Verizon's fault.

I stressed that our concern was if we were going to get the update at all, now that the Icon has been retired.. He confirmed that while it had been retired from sales, that shouldn't at all affect our update, priority, or support for the phone. It simply was what it was, retired from being sold by the company. He also said that it was not a matter of if we get the update, but when. And that he had been hearing "sometime in autumn" for the Cyan update for us, and that being the case we should have it by the end of they year for sure.

Unfortunately, if I understood correctly, we are more than likely in for another long wait for Denim, as it will be going through a similar grind of testing that is holding up the launch of Cyan. I do believe that will be a much easier and less stressful wait if we get Cyan soon though.

He made a good point while we chatted. He reminded me that the reason we are waiting so long is probably because of very thorough testing, which means that everything should be smooth and perfect when we finally get it. Let's face it, we would be in more of an uproar had we gotten a buggy, broken update that all but bricked our phones in August.

I wish I had gotten the chance to save and post my conversation with the guy, but I was on the work laptop at the time and couldn't pull that off. I felt like he was an open book compared to some of the other reps I have heard horror stories about. Then again, he could have been blowing smoke. But I am trying to stay positive, and I believe that in about a month we will all be running Windows 8.1 smoothly on our Lumia Icons.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Joebelfiore ? 2m2 minutes ago
Q's on update: yes we're working to get WP8.1/Cyan updates out. T-Mo 925 is done and 521 coming soon. Verizon work underway but farther off

manders500

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
From Joe
"MS/Verizon are working on some bug fixes-- VZW taking the quality seriously. We aren't sure how long it will take, but work is underway."

JK75

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
What apps in particular?

Biggest thing is my bank app. I use a smallish bank that has apps for Android and IOS but I am guessing they will never have a WP app. SiriusXM would be nice, my alarm system (ProtectionOne). HBO Go. Philips Hue (if I finally pull the trigger on it).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss