Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
He made a good point while we chatted. He reminded me that the reason we are waiting so long is probably because of very thorough testing, which means that everything should be smooth and perfect when we finally get it. Let's face it, we would be in more of an uproar had we gotten a buggy, broken update that all but bricked our phones in August.

If we did, it would just mean that Verizon has the ****tiest network in the world, since there haven't been any major issues at all on any other carrier with the Cyan update. I think they're just not devoting much resources to it.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
WHOA! An official word about update!! I must be dreaming!! of course, if what comes from Verizon is Cyan and not Denim after all this time... grrr ;)

Also, the Icon apparently DOES work with the Microsoft Band as long as you have WP 8.1: ScientiaEstPotentia comments on Microsoft announce a $199 fitness tracker

Oh happy day... lol.

Happy? Joke, right?
That blip makes it seems like Joe got to work and decided, "Okay, Today will be a good day to call Verizon for the first time in four months."

If only devices had lemon law clauses...

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

Seriously. Why wasn't Microsoft working with them in *******, I don't know, February, March in the leadup to RTM?

Complete cluster**** and mismanagement from everyone all around.

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Remember, this **** RTM'd in April and was supposed to roll out to all devices through the summer. We're looking at December if we're lucky.

Complete ****.

anon(9162805)

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought 4 icons for my family solely based on the Cortana commercials. I was conned by the salesman who said that after I went home and updated Cortana would be on the phones. Now I am conned again with the "carrot" that Cortana will be there if/when the cyan update comes. Oh yes, lets not forget that the Denim update is coming and adds "Hey Cortana", the feature I really wanted. Well looking at the forums Verizon gave you all BLACK 5 months after release. CYAN could be available to us on November 17th based on past updates. DENIM then would be closer to April 17th 2015. Verizon really doesn't need more that 1 month to test new updates on their system. Verizon already sell and have Cyan phones running on their system right now, They work just fine. Verizon doesn't answer any questions about the updates, because If Verizon tells us no update is coming, we may all leave tomorrow, but if they say nothing, we all cling to the hope that maybe tomorrow, or the next day we will get our update. We all stay an extra month, or two, or three on their plan . Tired of being conned.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought 4 icons for my family solely based on the Cortana commercials. I was conned by the salesman who said that after I went home and updated Cortana would be on the phones. Now I am conned again with the "carrot" that Cortana will be there if/when the cyan update comes. Oh yes, lets not forget that the Denim update is coming and adds "Hey Cortana", the feature I really wanted. Well looking at the forums Verizon gave you all BLACK 5 months after release. CYAN could be available to us on November 17th based on past updates. DENIM then would be closer to April 17th 2015. Verizon really doesn't need more that 1 month to test new updates on their system. Verizon already sell and have Cyan phones running on their system right now, They work just fine. Verizon doesn't answer any questions about the updates, because If Verizon tells us no update is coming, we may all leave tomorrow, but if they say nothing, we all cling to the hope that maybe tomorrow, or the next day we will get our update. We all stay an extra month, or two, or three on their plan . Tired of being conned.

They have 8.1 on their system, but NOT Cyan. HTC does NOT use Cyan, only Lumia phones do. This has been stated many many times....

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Joebelfiore ? 2m2 minutes ago
Q's on update: yes we're working to get WP8.1/Cyan updates out. T-Mo 925 is done and 521 coming soon. Verizon work underway but farther off

I suppose the earlier quote from a user that Verizon has released it from testing on 10/14 was a lie. Please remember the CSRs will say anything to get you off the phone. At least someone of importance said something even though this situation is BS.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Remember, this **** RTM'd in April and was supposed to roll out to all devices through the summer. We're looking at December if we're lucky.

Complete ****.

Close. DP was announced at //build.

April 2nd thru 9th: DP announced and released

July 15 thru 17th: Cyan RTMs

August: ATT updates their upper tier arsenal

August 20th: Verizon exclusive HTC OM8FW released

September: ATT updates their remaining arsenal

Late October: Tmobile updates their high end WP device

End of October: Joe Belfiore gives first official statement that work has recently started on Verizon's phones.

If you had followed the other thread, you would have heard the theories, many of them likely true. Fact is, our treatment and communication by both companies has been shameful.

Thus, it is one of those scenarios where it's too little, too late. I won't in good conscience buy another WP or stay on Verizon at the contract's conclusion. Major failure by both companies

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
When is the last time someone has looked to check the version on the recovery tool ? It seems there is a very high disconnect from Verizon and Nokia (or MS) with the ICON, so they might of updated it early if we are going to be getting it in a few days....

I did yesterday and it was the 8.0/Black. :(

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Having worked with software programmers and developers in the past, I know it's easy to identify a bug, but coming up with a fix that does not cause other problems to arise is more complicated. Especially now-a-days with the complexity of software/hardware.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Having worked with software programmers and developers in the past, I know it's easy to identify a bug, but coming up with a fix that does not cause other problems to arise is more complicated. Especially now-a-days with the complexity of software/hardware.

I understand but 3,4 or 5 months to fix bugs???

imho I bet this whole update situation and squashing bugs with 8.1/cyan on the network with the Icon could have been dealt with months ago but the main reason we are waiting this long is because Verizon has devoted minimal resources to work on anything to do with WP

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I understand but 3,4 or 5 months to fix bugs???

imho I bet this whole update situation and squashing bugs with 8.1/cyan on the network with the Icon could have been dealt with months ago but the main reason we are waiting this long is because Verizon has devoted minimal resources to work on anything to do with WP

All that, and it let HTC with 8.1 strut its transparent tiles and Cortana against a suddenly clunky looking Icon with solid tiles and no Cortana - in the store. Of course we all know the Icon is just as awesome as well with transparent tiles and Cortana, but that comparison wasn't going to happen side by side in the stores.

Vzw and Microsoft are two of the best capitalized companies in the tech business, if they wanted to devote resources - resources is what they have....

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
End of October: Joe Belfiore gives first official statement that work has recently started on Verizon's phones.

That is not what he said. He said work is underway. It could have been underway for a long time.

For reference, his tweet:

MS/Verizon are working on some bug fixes-- VZW taking the quality seriously. We aren't sure how long it will take, but work is underway.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That is not what he said. He said work is underway. It could have been underway for a long time.

For reference, his tweet:

O buddy boy, why'd you have to challenge me on semantics?

"Recently", like "underway", is also a subjective term. In fact almost any statement could be manipulated to form an opinion. Likeso, many words can carry weight.

You missed the meat of the material, including the other thread for Official Cyan with approximately 73,000 views & 2,000 posts.
Now, after waltzing in here with your critical corrections, the least you could do is add something to the conversation. For instance, your opinion...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I bet Verizon forgot about it completely until Joe called today.

Joe: Hey, Verizon, Joe here. So where are we with the Cyan testing?

Verizon <sounding a bit confused like they just woke up>: Oh hey Joe, yeah... Cyan, yeah... remind me, what is it again? Just need to check my notes...

Joe: It's our firmware update... also Windows Phone 8.1 with Cortana...

Verizon: Oh, yeah, I've seen the Courtney adds on TV! That stuff looks great! Hold on a sec... [talks to someone in background] OK, yeah, I talked to my supervisor and he said we are TOTALLY working on that. We're just, like, really thorough, you know? So we should have it out soon... what was your name again? I'll give you a call as soon as I hear anything else, I promise!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
It's about freaking (wanted to use a word starting with a "F") time someone officially said something. Yea, it's Joe and gives us the same detail as we mostly knew. We'll we were worried about "Retired" meaning we were not getting anything, at least this confirms we are getting Cyan....

What really grinds my gears is....No firm date....and after this really, really long wait, we are only getting Cyan ? Crap, are we going to have to wait another 3-4 months for Denim ?

**** Verizon.....a$$holes....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo