Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to think this phone has some sort of hardware bug that is causing the holdup. Which is a shame, it's a beautiful phone and I love mine. Will never have a personal phone on Verizon wireless, have no choice with current phone as that is who my employer has a contract with.
It's not just the Icon that hasn't been updated. It's every Verizon WP8 except the HTC One. It's not a hardware problem. It's Verizon.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to think this phone has some sort of hardware bug that is causing the holdup. Which is a shame, it's a beautiful phone and I love mine. Will never have a personal phone on Verizon wireless, have no choice with current phone as that is who my employer has a contract with.
Nah, Verizon is just not devoting resources to it. They have iPhones to sell.

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft still thinks that the Icon will get Denim, at least at some point. The newly released Lumia Camera Classic app (I found it using SysAppPusher) is basically the same app we have now. It's for those who don't like the new one that will get released with Denim.

Take a look at the official store description:

bnufbrkl.png

and if you scroll down you see

07YNigJl.png

juliosa2

May 30, 2014
Visit site

Although my icon works well, the only drawback is the delay to wake the screen when connected to WiFi, I think the same. If you observe either movement microsoft, are the last efforts to boost its new lumia, but for example the 930 version of the international icon has not been promoted, almost certainly due to the lack of glance we love it all and this team does not have. I think Nokia and Microsoft were wrong to downplay this feature and now weighs them, in addition to the multiple problems that both the 930 and the icon displayed according to many users. By now I think Microsoft plans to launch a new phone in 5 "full HD, glance, SD 805 camera and processor as the 1020 all aluminum body put in.

beerme1

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
By now I think Microsoft plans to launch a new phone in 5 "full HD, glance, SD 805 camera and processor as the 1020 all aluminum body put in.

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas everybody.
That would have made my waiting all this crap out worth it lol.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure all the delay is because of Verizon's older CDMA technology. I have read many threads and all point to CDMA being the culprit. Next year they plan to move away from it with VoLTE, but again, Verizon has their own spin on LTE so who knows.

Too bad Verizon is so big, and stubborn. Would be nice if they would just jump in to the GSM world.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If Verizon says screw you to microsoft, there is nothing microsoft can do. Its a CDMA network. Nothing on it works without Verizon's permission. If Verizon refuses to update phones then that is that. MS has no means of bypassing it. If they manage to put drivers into the DP without embedding them in the firmware as they do now, then that's another story but I have no idea how hard that would be.

I doubt Microsoft would allow Verizon to get by without updating their Lumia line to Lumia & Denim. It's not a question of if. It never has been.

It's just the daunting and frustrating "When?"

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If Verizon says screw you to microsoft, there is nothing microsoft can do. Its a CDMA network. Nothing on it works without Verizon's permission. If Verizon refuses to update phones then that is that. MS has no means of bypassing it. If they manage to put drivers into the DP without embedding them in the firmware as they do now, then that's another story but I have no idea how hard that would be.

Verizon isn't done with Microsoft. They're just not prioritizing their products.

Exhibit A: The Lumia 735 is still coming out. Is it coming out when it should? No. But it will be available eventually.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I suspect its not the reason, but it does give Verizon total control. Nothing works on a CDMA network without the permission of the carrier. Fortunately LTE is based on GSM, but I noticed that my 1520.3 didn't even get anything on Verizon before I switched to AT&T not even LTE so I think they still have ways of blocking or filtering phones on their LTE network. I have heard they plan on retiring the CDMA network as of 2021.

Pretty sure all the delay is because of Verizon's older CDMA technology. I have read many threads and all point to CDMA being the culprit. Next year they plan to move away from it with VoLTE, but again, Verizon has their own spin on LTE so who knows.

Too bad Verizon is so big, and stubborn. Would be nice if they would just jump in to the GSM world.

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I have Verizon Fios too. They have an app for iP and Andriod. But nothing for Windows. I posted a comment that if they are selling the Windows devices, maybe they should support them on their other side too. But all my AT&T friends are standing in the parking lot talking on their cell phones because they don't get good signal. Sucks, but that is why I stay.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft still thinks that the Icon will get Denim, at least at some point. The newly released Lumia Camera Classic app (I found it using SysAppPusher) is basically the same app we have now. It's for those who don't like the new one that will get released with Denim.

Take a look at the official store description:

http://i.imgur.com/bnufbrkl.png

and if you scroll down you see

http://i.imgur.com/07YNigJl.png

Good find!

The screenshots are absent when viewing from the mobile app, but the text in the description does indicate that they are prepping for Denim to be released for the ICON.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It's got to be something in Cyan and not the 8.1 update. If 8.1 runs in DP just fine...that's not the case.

Which means there is a problem in the firmware that isn't playing well on Verizon's network. THAT problem is most likely something to do with CDMA. Since that is part of the firmware and NOT the OS, that would account for why the other "major" US CDMA carrier that offers Windows Phones (i.e. Metro PCS) not releasing Cyan just yet.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Which means there is a problem in the firmware that isn't playing well on Verizon's network. THAT problem is most likely something to do with CDMA. Since that is part of the firmware and NOT the OS, that would account for why the other "major" US CDMA carrier that offers Windows Phones (i.e. Metro PCS) not releasing Cyan just yet.

The issue with that theory, however, is that the HTC One for Windows clearly is ok with CDMA (yes I know, no Cyan), but there aren't any phones on Sprint that would get Cyan, just the 8xt and ATIV S NEO.

There is definitely a bug with CDMA and Cyan (or else they are just lazy), but its no excuse for Sprint

Edit: Just realized you meant MetroPCS. Again, the issue here is that they are actually GSM with their Windows Phones, which run on the T-Mobile network not the legacy MPCS network

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99