Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

gamefrick

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I think that is what the issue really is. Verizon would rather devote 100% of their resources to iPhone and android phone updates rather than windows phone because they realized that the ICON probably didn't sell as well as it could have so why pay a Dev to ensure the 0.2% population of customers that have the ICON deserve to get an update or would care about an update.

Go figure, it's either Microsoft/Lumia ensure we get these updates directly or we are doomed.

All in all, I am just waiting for the next big flagship Windows Phone that would kill the iPhone 6 Plus so I can shut up all my friends again.

NB - I wonder why the 1520 never made it to Verizon, smh

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Or they could be jerks and intentionally slowing it down with no actual reason to. CDMA technology give Verizon the upper hand. Microsoft has to do what Verizon wants or their phones won't work on Verizon. It could be a cyan+CDMA issue, or it could be that Verizon just plain sucks and doesn't want to update phones in an attempt to sell you a newer phone.

Which means there is a problem in the firmware that isn't playing well on Verizon's network. THAT problem is most likely something to do with CDMA. Since that is part of the firmware and NOT the OS, that would account for why the other "major" US CDMA carrier that offers Windows Phones (i.e. Metro PCS) not releasing Cyan just yet.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If that was the case then they shouldn't waste any time at all on testing windows phone. They should just automatically approve all updates.

I think that is what the issue really is. Verizon would rather devote 100% of their resources to iPhone and android phone updates rather than windows phone because they realized that the ICON probably didn't sell as well as it could have so why pay a Dev to ensure the 0.2% population of customers that have the ICON deserve to get an update or would care about an update.

Go figure, it's either Microsoft/Lumia ensure we get these updates directly or we are doomed.

All in all, I am just waiting for the next big flagship Windows Phone that would kill the iPhone 6 Plus so I can shut up all my friends again.

NB - I wonder why the 1520 never made it to Verizon, smh

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Unless I'm an anomaly, I'm thinking it's Verizon being Verizon.

Combination of factors on Verizon...

1. Htc OM8FW exclusivity contract
2. Gripe about att 830 visual similarity to icon. Resulted in manufacturing change to dark aluminum.
3. Cdma issues
4. High firmware testing fees
5. Lack of training/dedication to the platform
6. Atrocious PR or lack thereof

Microsoft has responded in suit with half assed support for Verizon devices. It's now cyclical and embittered between both companies and users suffer the delays.

Not just Verizon, Microsoft is guilty also. Shame on them both.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to know about #2...

Im pretty sure #2 is the reason it got retired (makes the most sense) and the update is due to #1.

Interestingly, TCMan88, who up to this point had been 100% correct (ex red 928 - which was supposed to launch) thought it was going live on Oct 7th, turns out that Nov 7th just happens to be the day HTC M8 for Windows loses exclusivity at VZW. He said exclusivity was one of the reasons it was held back (makes sense in a sick sort of way), and you have to imagine Cyan was basically ready in June for this phone given the 930, so it could only be the CDMA layer differences. Seems he was off by a month, though I dont think we'll see it today. At this point, why not just wait a few weeks longer to just roll out Denim

Last edited:

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Im pretty sure #2 is the reason it got retired (makes the most sense) and the update is due to #1.

Interestingly, TCMan88, who up to this point had been 100% correct (ex red 928 - which was supposed to launch) thought it was going live on Oct 7th, turns out that Nov 7th just happens to be the day HTC M8 for Windows loses exclusivity at VZW. He said exclusivity was one of the reasons it was held back (makes sense in a sick sort of way), and you have to imagine Cyan was basically ready in June for this phone given the 930, so it could only be the CDMA layer differences. Seems he was off by a month, though I dont think we'll see it today. At this point, why not just wait a few weeks longer to just roll out Denim

At this point I can't see Verizon putting denim on the icon before their new wp comes out. Is scheduled to come out in 2015... We won't get denim until then.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have Verizon Fios too. They have an app for iP and Andriod. But nothing for Windows. I posted a comment that if they are selling the Windows devices, maybe they should support them on their other side too. But all my AT&T friends are standing in the parking lot talking on their cell phones because they don't get good signal. Sucks, but that is why I stay.

THIS is why I can't leave Verizon

gamefrick

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
At this point I can't see Verizon putting denim on the icon before their new wp comes out. Is scheduled to come out in 2015... We won't get denim until then.

I really thought Microsoft Lumia would be releasing a new flagship before Christmas, at least to match competition on the iPhone6 front. It seems that flagships are coming out not as often as they should. Considering how many other low-end phones are released. I still love my ICON.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6