Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
O well... I'm out. I am selling my Icon and getting a Note 4 today. Tired of this run around.....
Peace out.

If your still on Verizon you did nothing to fix the problem, you got another phone that will reach its update roadblock within the year.

Compaired to every other OS, Windows Phone has had the easiest way of upgrading the software even without the firmware, its been quite stable.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
O well... I'm out. I am selling my Icon and getting a Note 4 today. Tired of this run around.....
Peace out.

Sad to say but I did the same thing. I got the turbo now I'm trying the note 4 and I'll just use it until Verizon release windows 10 phone. If they do

I won't leave Windows Phone until Window Phone leaves me. Not a chance.

Hope you're both back soon.

Oh... And hey, Verizon...

d529ji.gif

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
All you did is reward the evil company for being evil. If you really want to teach them you need to leave verizon.
Yup, and judging by forums, they rarely seem to update Android phones either.

Of course, if it wasn't for the extra functions that Cyan/Denim provide I would just be happy with the Preview for Developers.

xX_Solaris

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I think at this point the Icon is so far behind the curve that Microsoft will probably give us the combo cyan/denim update along with the 8.1.1 update.

If O2 can release a combo update I suspect that Microsoft will just combo it for Verizon since its back under development.

AlastorX50

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I think at this point the Icon is so far behind the curve that Microsoft will probably give us the combo cyan/denim update along with the 8.1.1 update.

If O2 can release a combo update I suspect that Microsoft will just combo it for Verizon since its back under development.

This was the conversation i had with one of the MS reps at the store, but who knows Verizon likes to take their time with updates to reverse engineer them to work with their out-dated applications.

I'm wishing that the the rumor about DP pushing out firmware to be true, but i guess you can't have everything.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
This was the conversation i had with one of the MS reps at the store, but who knows Verizon likes to take their time with updates to reverse engineer them to work with their out-dated applications.

I'm wishing that the the rumor about DP pushing out firmware to be true, but i guess you can't have everything.

I seriously doubt Microsoft will push out firmware updates via DP to carrier branded devices (CDMA or otherwise); at least not without prior approval from the carriers. For non-carrier branded devices such as the 930 and 1520.3, that is an entirely different story. Microsoft does not need approval from ANY carrier to do this.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I seriously doubt Microsoft will push out firmware updates via DP to carrier branded devices (CDMA or otherwise); at least not without prior approval from the carriers. For non-carrier branded devices such as the 930 and 1520.3, that is an entirely different story. Microsoft does not need approval from ANY carrier to do this.

It does seem crazy, doesn't it? But it would be a huge step forward for Windows Phones.

Daniel Rubino and Paul Thurrott both seem to think it's going to happen.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
It does seem crazy, doesn't it? But it would be a huge step forward for Windows Phones.

Daniel Rubino and Paul Thurrott both seem to think it's going to happen.

That would be great if it did happen. But, let's say for the sake of argument, that the carriers allowed Microsoft to push firmware updates along with the OS using the DP. Then what would stop Microsoft pushing out the OTA when the final carrier specific builds are done? Also, who would be responsible or liable if a firmware update causes major problems on a carrier's network? The user? The Carrier? Microsoft? There are a lot of factors involved when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's not as cut and dry as people seem to think it is...

I just don't see the carriers allowing firmware to be updated without their approval (at least on carrier branded devices). The carriers would be giving up a LOT of control over their respective networks in doing this.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Its not possible someone posted a thread in here on it. The phone or recovery software (I don't recall which) notices that 929 and 930 aren't the same number. Also it would fail to work on Verizon after the update even if it was possible.

Does anyone know of its possible to install Lumia 930 firmware on the Lumia 929(Icon)?

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
That would be great if it did happen. But, let's say for the sake of argument, that the carriers allowed Microsoft to push firmware updates along with the OS using the DP. Then what would stop Microsoft pushing out the OTA when the final carrier specific builds are done? Also, who would be responsible or liable if a firmware update causes major problems on a carrier's network? The user? The Carrier? Microsoft? There are a lot of factors involved when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's not as cut and dry as people seem to think it is...

I just don't see the carriers allowing firmware to be updated without their approval (at least on carrier branded devices). The carriers would be giving up a LOT of control over their respective networks in doing this.

I'm guessing it would be the same as DP now. It voids the warranty if installed. Now we know that there are loopholes for the consumer on that but if they put out the disclaimer that installing DP/Firmware voids the warranty then we take a chance as a consumer.

larry0987

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I think the best thing would be to break out what's in the firmware, Verizon cares about the radio and modem so leave those as is. Include all the rest of the parts in the OS update.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing it would be the same as DP now. It voids the warranty if installed. Now we know that there are loopholes for the consumer on that but if they put out the disclaimer that installing DP/Firmware voids the warranty then we take a chance as a consumer.

Not really. If the defect is hardware, then what ever OS is on it, is irrelevant. The difference is currently the developer program is for the OS only. The OS is a completely different animal than the firmware. The firmware operates at the hardware level and therefore can cause hardware performance problems and damage. It is also the part of the system that if improperly done, can open severe security holes in the network. Ever hear of Stuxnet? It was malware programmed into the firmware that controlled the uranium centrifuges in Iran. THAT is the level of control firmware has versus the OS.

So who is responsible for the firmware if it is pushed out with the DP and causes network problems? Microsoft? Verizon? User? OEM?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss