Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the best thing would be to break out what's in the firmware, Verizon cares about the radio and modem so leave those as is. Include all the rest of the parts in the OS update.

That's essentially what they are doing now for the most part. Now if Microsoft were to push out all of the Lumia specific goodies as a separate OTA then that would be good.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think AT&T's process is more streamlined because of lack of bureaucratic interference. I think it is because AT&T (and T-Mobile) are GSM networks which therefore simplifies the OS/firmware builds for Microsoft and the other OEM's. Phones like the Icon and 928 have all of the GSM stuff that the 1020 and 1520 have, as well as CDMA. That adds another layer of complication to the mix. Android device OEM's suffer the same problem.

Verizon is gradually phasing it's CDMA/LTE network out in favor of GSM/LTE and eventually LTE only. This is not only to provide better service to its customers, but to also cut operating costs. It costs a lot of money to run 3G and 4G networks simultaneously.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes I go to Software update for Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

First I go to North America and note that Verizon's phones are "Under Development." then I go to places like Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Europe, Etc... And I just fix my eyes on the Cyan column and scroll down...

Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available
Available

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Mirage85

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Long time Reader of these boards, first time poster. I just wanted to say a few things that I've experienced with the Icon since picking it up in July.

Both my wife and I have the Icon, got them in July and we've both experienced many of the problems that a lot of people here complain about (spotty wifi, quickly discharging battery, etc). The difference for us is that we are on 8.0, we've never installed the developer preview on our phones. My first Icon was replaced because it wouldn't charge via USB, only wirelessly, otherwise that one seemed to work better than my current one. Both of our phones will randomly lose connection to our router or have a diminished connection, even though our other items (laptops, Xboxes, etc) are working fine. Heck, there have been times we've been we'll beyond where we should be able to get a signal (back yard at the fire pit) and it worked great, then other times where it should work (laying in bed directly above the router) and it doesn't.

I've experienced the quickly discharging battery on my phone where it gets really hot. I did a soft rest and that fixed it. Seems like something gets hung up once and awhile, no biggy... My wifes phone on the other hand has done this, and I have to do a factory reset. That fixed it for a few weeks, and now its doing it again, but without getting super hot. We've disabled all the background tasks etc, and she really has almost nothing on her phone to begin with, but it just keeps happening. Doing a factory rest and then not restoring a backup worked last time, but it doesn't appear to be a perminanet solution.

To me it really seems like there is something very faulty with these phones. I didn't own it before the Black firmware came out, so I don't know if these are new issues since then or not, but in its current state we are both very dissatisfied with the Icon. We love windows phone (I'm a previous Trophy owner) and the camera on the Icon is amazing. I have no complaints about the speed many others do, but I don't have other newer phones to compare it too, works fine for me.

Its taken since July until just this week to get the money deal sorted out with Verizon for replacing my Icon, so I'm hesitant to replace my wife's. It might be better for us to go into the store to do so. I'm hoping they give her the option to upgrade to the M8. Not because we dislike the lack of 8.1/cyan, but because she needs a phone that has a reliable battery...

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think 8.1DP is the cause of many of the problems as seems suggested, but it may in fact be the Black firmware (hopefully) or worse yet, a hardware issue (hopefully not).

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ugh i have a friend who has a Lumia 928 who has no idea what Lumia Cyan or Windows Phone 8.1 is, so obviously he doesnt care about it. Ignorance is bliss haha.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think AT&T's process is more streamlined because of lack of bureaucratic interference. I think it is because AT&T (and T-Mobile) are GSM networks which therefore simplifies the OS/firmware builds for Microsoft and the other OEM's. Phones like the Icon and 928 have all of the GSM stuff that the 1020 and 1520 have, as well as CDMA. That adds another layer of complication to the mix. Android device OEM's suffer the same problem.

Verizon is gradually phasing it's CDMA/LTE network out in favor of GSM/LTE and eventually LTE only. This is not only to provide better service to its customers, but to also cut operating costs. It costs a lot of money to run 3G and 4G networks simultaneously.

at last, wisdom. this, and they want to keep earning $ on Visual Voicemail as well as from the three people who pay $10/month for VZ Navigator

dkhbike

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Glad I don't have to put up with all this cra p from my ISP for my desktop/laptop/tablet devices. Maybe VZW will catch up with Africa someday with respect to timely updates. BTW WP8.1 DP works flawlessly on my Icon.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
at last, wisdom. this, and they want to keep earning $ on Visual Voicemail as well as from the three people who pay $10/month for VZ Navigator

Wow! I didn't know that many people use VZ Navigator? Hahahaha! Actually, I used VZ Navigator for a while. It was actually better than Google Navigator for a while. But, Google quickly fixed itself. Of course now I use Here Drive+. :)

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Be nice if they did the same with these freakin' updates. At this point it's just inexcusable.

Because Verizon owns its own infrastructure, the FCC can't force Verizon, or anybody else for that matter, to update its devices. Verizon got smacked down by the FCC because it was denying access to GPS and NFC unless you paid them. Cyan and Denim are different. You can use ALL of the hardware that is built in to the phone.

Can you make phone calls? - Check.
Can you use a third party (non-Verizon) navigation app? - Check
Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check
Can you use NFC to send info or to start an app? - Check
Can you access WiFi networks (both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz)? - Check
Can you get LTE data (where it is offered)? Check
Can you take pictures? - Check
Can you record video? - Check
Can you listen to music? - Check
Can you access the internet? - Check

This is ALL capable under WP8.0/Black. Since Verizon hasn't blocked a certain piece of hardware on the phone from being used, it is not doing anything wrong in accordance with any of its contractual obligations or contrary to federal and state laws and regulations.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Long time Reader of these boards, first time poster. I just wanted to say a few things that I've experienced with the Icon since picking it up in July.

Both my wife and I have the Icon, got them in July and we've both experienced many of the problems that a lot of people here complain about (spotty wifi, quickly discharging battery, etc). The difference for us is that we are on 8.0, we've never installed the developer preview on our phones. My first Icon was replaced because it wouldn't charge via USB, only wirelessly, otherwise that one seemed to work better than my current one. Both of our phones will randomly lose connection to our router or have a diminished connection, even though our other items (laptops, Xboxes, etc) are working fine. Heck, there have been times we've been we'll beyond where we should be able to get a signal (back yard at the fire pit) and it worked great, then other times where it should work (laying in bed directly above the router) and it doesn't.

I've experienced the quickly discharging battery on my phone where it gets really hot. I did a soft rest and that fixed it. Seems like something gets hung up once and awhile, no biggy... My wifes phone on the other hand has done this, and I have to do a factory reset. That fixed it for a few weeks, and now its doing it again, but without getting super hot. We've disabled all the background tasks etc, and she really has almost nothing on her phone to begin with, but it just keeps happening. Doing a factory rest and then not restoring a backup worked last time, but it doesn't appear to be a perminanet solution.

To me it really seems like there is something very faulty with these phones. I didn't own it before the Black firmware came out, so I don't know if these are new issues since then or not, but in its current state we are both very dissatisfied with the Icon. We love windows phone (I'm a previous Trophy owner) and the camera on the Icon is amazing. I have no complaints about the speed many others do, but I don't have other newer phones to compare it too, works fine for me.

Its taken since July until just this week to get the money deal sorted out with Verizon for replacing my Icon, so I'm hesitant to replace my wife's. It might be better for us to go into the store to do so. I'm hoping they give her the option to upgrade to the M8. Not because we dislike the lack of 8.1/cyan, but because she needs a phone that has a reliable battery...

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out there that I don't think 8.1DP is the cause of many of the problems as seems suggested, but it may in fact be the Black firmware (hopefully) or worse yet, a hardware issue (hopefully not).
Yeah, I don't think 8.1 Preview is the issue either.
By the way, you guys really need to put the Preview on your phones. It's not Beta, and it has so much more to offer. I have fewer issues with 8.1 on it than with 8.0. It's great.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you download the preview for free or is there a fee?

It's free. You just need to install the Preview for Developers app and register your phone for updates. Really simple.

I suggest installing WP8.1 DP, grab all of the updates, save your data (i.e. photos, music, etc.) and then do a hard reset but do not restore from back up.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Can you download the preview for free or is there a fee?

It's free. See All you need to know about the Windows Phone 8.1 'Preview for Developers' | Windows Central

In short, go to Windows App Studio - Create free apps for Windows Phone, Surface tablets and PCs | Microsoft and sign up for a free "App Studio" account, then download the Preview app: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and check for an OS update in your phone settings.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb