Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

HockeyNut_8

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok. First post but have been following for months now. I've waited for the icon and picked it up when my 2 year contract was over this May also thinking it wouldn't be long until 8.1 would be available for the icon. I ran across wpcentral and found lots of valuable advice about the phone, camera etc... My wife loved my phone so much she even left her iphone when her contract was over in July and has also loved it. So last week after contacting my Microsoft and Verizon rep (since I work in I.T. and constantly communicate with both) and both did not have any answers for me, I decided to update my Lumia 822 (work phone) to DP 8.1. After a couple of day without issue and longer battery life I updated my Icon. I have not looked back at all. My battery lasts longer than before, my Nokia camera video app now records WITH sound (didn't before unless I soft reset) and the new features along with Cortana work great. I just updated my wife's phone yesterday, showed her the new features and she is very happy. I don't know why some phones have certain issues and some do not but I figured I share my experience for anyone who is on the fence like I was 2 weeks ago.

TomAd9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I just updated, just would like to know if I have the latest version with 8.1.1 and all updates before I hard reset. What should it read?
Thanks

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Because Verizon owns its own infrastructure, the FCC can't force Verizon, or anybody else for that matter, to update its devices. Verizon got smacked down by the FCC because it was denying access to GPS and NFC unless you paid them. Cyan and Denim are different. You can use ALL of the hardware that is built in to the phone.

Can you make phone calls? - Check.
Can you use a third party (non-Verizon) navigation app? - Check
Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check
Can you use NFC to send info or to start an app? - Check
Can you access WiFi networks (both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz)? - Check
Can you get LTE data (where it is offered)? Check
Can you take pictures? - Check
Can you record video? - Check
Can you listen to music? - Check
Can you access the internet? - Check

This is ALL capable under WP8.0/Black. Since Verizon hasn't blocked a certain piece of hardware on the phone from being used, it is not doing anything wrong in accordance with any of its contractual obligations or contrary to federal and state laws and regulations.

Yea, but, maybe it's me....Todays phones are just software and personally when I buy a phone (in the last 2-4 years at least), I do expect the "software" on the phone. We pay good money for these devices, or get tied to long term contracts.

In this modern day of hardware, I EXPECT software support updates for at least 2 years from the phone release.

I can understand a carrier dropping and not supporting a low end/entry level device for a short time but, on High end models, I EXPECT support.

TomAd9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
So I finally got impatient enough to install the DP on my Icon and I am liking somethings but also having the wifi issue and the battery drains faster. Questions, does the battery have to calibrate again? Also will Cyan install over this or will have to roll back, it is saying it is Denim installed now.

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The battery drain will subside, in my experience. It seems to be doing background operations for a while, and also maybe because of increased use right when the installation is new.

The Wi-Fi was equally bad on 8.0 for me, at this point I think the Icon has some inherent flaw with either antenna or firmware regarding Wi-Fi.

If it ever arrives Cyan and/or Denim should install over the Preview. Microsoft fixed the problem that there was with that and the official updates since then have worked on the Preview phones.

The phone says Denim in "extras + info" but it's still Black, which can be confirmed if you look at the firmware version number in "about".

TomAd9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the response.
The battery drain will subside, in my experience. It seems to be doing background operations for a while, and also maybe because of increased use right when the installation is new.

The Wi-Fi was equally bad on 8.0 for me, at this point I think the Icon has some inherent flaw with either antenna or firmware regarding Wi-Fi.

If it ever arrives Cyan and/or Denim should install over the Preview. Microsoft fixed the problem that there was with that and the official updates since then have worked on the Preview phones.

The phone says Denim in "extras + info" but it's still Black, which can be confirmed if you look at the firmware version number in "about".

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
An interesting thing happened at Ikea today....

I was in the AS-IS section looking at a piece of furniture I wanted to buy. My wife wasn't with me, so I whipped out my Icon took a picture and texted to her asking her opinion. I was waiting for her response when a guy walked up and started admiring the piece as well. I said, "I'm waiting for my wife to say yes or no to it." He laughed a bit.

Then he looked up and saw my Icon. His eyes brightened and he said, "Well, because you use that phone I'll let you have first go at it." I thought he might just like Lumias at that point and was about to say something when he added, "I designed that phone - the Icon."

As you might imagine, I was a bit floored. :)

We talked for a bit and he, of course, didn't reveal anything that we hadn't already heard, but he swears that Cyan is coming for the Icon. I asked if we would just skip Cyan and go right to Denim. He hesitated and then said that he couldn't say anything about that. He said he was on Verizon too and was looking forward to it. I then asked if it was some kind of bug and he said no, it just takes time.

Then he asked what I liked about the Icon and I told him the camera and the OS. At that point he whips out his own mobile phone to discuss the MSN Money app. He flicks through some things that I don't really remember, because I think I just saw the replacement for the Icon in the wild!

His phone was definitely the same screen size as the Icon as our phones were almost side by side. No case on his or mine. But his had rounder edges to it and I think the back was green. Most interesting was the prominent Microsoft logo on the upper left bezel and I think the Verizon logo on the upper right bezel. It was too fast for me to really take in all the details.

At that moment, I think he just realized what he had shown me and quickly excused himself.

TL;DR: Met a guy who claims to have designed the Icon. Says Cyan is definitely coming. Hesitates when I ask about just going to Denim. Shows me a phone with Microsoft and Verizon branding on it and then runs away.

ETA: Here is my only piece of evidence. The piece of furniture I texted to my wife. :)

E1efrIIl.jpg

drewman77

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I took a look at the phones that Microsoft has announced and I would say it looked a lot like a 830 but with Verizon branding.

Here is what the 830 looks like

UAhfeFEl.png

Here is a Photoshop of what I saw (although my brain keeps saying all of the letters in Microsoft were upper case I find no logos like that on the web).

pwCNHM9l.jpg

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey, maybe he knew something but, a "coming soon" type thing is what we have been hearing for months now. When it comes down to it, we are just grasping at straws here....

STILL NOTHING ? WTF....I want Denim now ! Tired of this crap....Verizon may have the best network in the US but, sometimes I wonder is it worth it for this crap ?

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Because Verizon owns its own infrastructure, the FCC can't force Verizon, or anybody else for that matter, to update its devices. Verizon got smacked down by the FCC because it was denying access to GPS and NFC unless you paid them. Cyan and Denim are different. You can use ALL of the hardware that is built in to the phone.

Can you make phone calls? - Check.
Can you use a third party (non-Verizon) navigation app? - Check
Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check
Can you use NFC to send info or to start an app? - Check
Can you access WiFi networks (both 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz)? - Check
Can you get LTE data (where it is offered)? Check
Can you take pictures? - Check
Can you record video? - Check
Can you listen to music? - Check
Can you access the internet? - Check

This is ALL capable under WP8.0/Black. Since Verizon hasn't blocked a certain piece of hardware on the phone from being used, it is not doing anything wrong in accordance with any of its contractual obligations or contrary to federal and state laws and regulations.

Hmm... Can't use Bluetooth 4.0 LE without an update. Can't use Miracast without an update. I wish that was true because I would be on black anymore...

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Can you pair a Bluetooth device? - Check.

You can't pair a Bluetooth low power device without Cyan, like the FitBit.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how softpay plays into the Verizon update, but on ATT, its available. on the Verizon HTC m8 with windows, its available. I feel Verizon is purposely denying the update to the lumia owners in order to sell the htc phone, since theres potentially more money to be made. Verizon has a history of not updating phones so they can sell newer phones that show the new OS features(android or winphone).

This is where I have to give props to apple/iphone. they weren't on Verizon for a long, long time, and I presume it was because they couldn't negotiate the freedom apple wanted with the hardware and updates. I think finally, Verizon caved to them, and now you can get a iphone on verizon. If it weren't for their coverage, I wouldn't even consider them. But, they do have it, and as such, its great to have the only thing I would ever buy from them: a pay as you go hotspot.

Patriots1959

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey, maybe he knew something but, a "coming soon" type thing is what we have been hearing for months now. When it comes down to it, we are just grasping at straws here....

STILL NOTHING ? WTF....I want Denim now ! Tired of this crap....Verizon may have the best network in the US but, sometimes I wonder is it worth it for this crap ?

Looks like someone was listening to David N. Court - perhaps we will get Denim this weekend Lumia Denim to roll out "soon" but no official release date yet
"According to my sources, Microsoft reportedly distributed final bits to operators for final testing two weeks ago. And the SW update is just around the corner, more precisely ?this weekend.? The first Windows phones to receive the update will be the Lumia 1520, Lumia 930 and Lumia Icon."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa