Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Looks like someone was listening to David N. Court - perhaps we will get Denim this weekend Lumia Denim to roll out "soon" but no official release date yet
"According to my sources, Microsoft reportedly distributed final bits to operators for final testing two weeks ago. And the SW update is just around the corner, more precisely ?this weekend.? The first Windows phones to receive the update will be the Lumia 1520, Lumia 930 and Lumia Icon."

*Subject to carrier approval

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I feel Verizon is purposely denying the update to the lumia owners in order to sell the htc phone, since theres potentially more money to be made.

Let's take a look at this.

How many Windows Phone users are there? Now, how many of that tiny percentage of VZW customers do you suppose are going to dump a Lumia phone and potentially pay full price before a contract is up to switch to the HTC just to use softcard?

I'm as PO'ed as anyone but this is hold up is nothing but incompetence.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks like someone was listening to David N. Court - perhaps we will get Denim this weekend Lumia Denim to roll out "soon" but no official release date yet
"According to my sources, Microsoft reportedly distributed final bits to operators for final testing two weeks ago. And the SW update is just around the corner, more precisely “this weekend.” The first Windows phones to receive the update will be the Lumia 1520, Lumia 930 and Lumia Icon."

Julia Martin...? Yeah, okay...

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave up, I'm going back to Android. I didn't want to do it, but the lack of support was just frustrating. So if anyone wants to buy an Icon...

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I finally gave up, I'm going back to Android. I didn't want to do it, but the lack of support was just frustrating. So if anyone wants to buy an Icon...

Wait? What? Your phone all of a sudden doesn't make calls? Send and receive texts? Access the internet? And a gazillion other things every other phone does?

Are you not in the Developer Program, which is ok if you're not. The DP gives you just about everything Cyan will bring. What few features the DP doesn't provide right now, are too small to leave for another platform. I get way more features in the DP than what I'm missing. But, hey, sounds like you never really took advantage of the WP os and never really committed, which is ok, too.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a Polish 930, hope they are fast with the update (usually they are). But even now I am pretty happy with my 930 and will not switch, even if there are never any updates anymore. This update-mania is getting out of hand.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a Polish 930, hope they are fast with the update (usually they are). But even now I am pretty happy with my 930 and will not switch, even if there are never any updates anymore. This update-mania is getting out of hand.
That's great for you, but all of us on the Icon still officially only have Windows Phone 8.0, not 8.1 which has been out for almost 6 months. Its a problem because we can't use any of the new universal apps, which is the only way developers should be designing apps from now on.

As this thread does not pertain to you or your experience, you probably shouldnt comment.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
That's great for you, but all of us on the Icon still officially only have Windows Phone 8.0, not 8.1 which has been out for almost 6 months. Its a problem because we can't use any of the new universal apps, which is the only way developers should be designing apps from now on.

As this thread does not pertain to you or your experience, you probably shouldnt comment.

You can always install WP8.1 DP. It's WP8.1 minus the Cyan firmware updates.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Wait? What? Your phone all of a sudden doesn't make calls? Send and receive texts? Access the internet? And a gazillion other things every other phone does?

Are you not in the Developer Program, which is ok if you're not. The DP gives you just about everything Cyan will bring. What few features the DP doesn't provide right now, are too small to leave for another platform. I get way more features in the DP than what I'm missing. But, hey, sounds like you never really took advantage of the WP os and never really committed, which is ok, too.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Yes I have dp, but that's not the point. If the platform is going to keep getting such awful support, whether it is from MS or VZW, I'm out.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I have dp, but that's not the point. If the platform is going to keep getting such awful support, whether it is from MS or VZW, I'm out.

Again, is your phone broken and nobody is helping you get it fixed? While we all complain about the lack of Cyan, it is going to bring features that compliment the os. And you can't say MS doesn't support the platform, it's their platform. If you want to complain to Verizon, I agree. But even with the lack of Cyan, Verizon offers me the best coverage. I'm not leaving because they haven't released an update, that brings very little in better performance than what my phone does now.

orangeman34

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Again, is your phone broken and nobody is helping you get it fixed? While we all complain about the lack of Cyan, it is going to bring features that compliment the os. And you can't say MS doesn't support the platform, it's their platform. If you want to complain to Verizon, I agree. But even with the lack of Cyan, Verizon offers me the best coverage. I'm not leaving because they haven't released an update, that brings very little in better performance than what my phone does now.

For one thing, yes I am missing things I need. Screen mirroring is an important feature, which I still cannot use without Cyan. It's just unfortunate that for whatever reason, I am STILL waiting to be able to use features that my phone should have been able to do months ago. I like the OS overall, and was even willing to overlook not being able to get all the different apps I might want, but I just can't take the lack of updates. Maybe I'll jump back into windows phone when I see that they actually start getting updated within a reasonable timeframe.

TomAd9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
After reading post after post about Cyan/Denim and Windows phone I just have to chime in. I am frustrated. The Icon is a good phone but this waiting for this software update is for the birds. In the time Icon was supposed to have the update Apple announced, then released and updated the 6. My 2 biggest gripes with the icon is the Swype feature (I use the phone for work so I answer 200+ emails and texts a day and the swipe feature was a great feature. The other is Cortana, I am a big supporter of Microsoft but when I see every other persons phone use Siri or Google Voice, and they ask about my phone, being in the IT field it is quite embarrassing to say it can't perform the tasks. Anyway then I got impatient enough to do the DP and although the features are good the battery life has suffered, it is nothing like it was it was before the DP update. I did 2 hard resets and have turned off everything in the background (even cortana) and still is pretty bad. I even got an offer from Verizon to switch to the Droid Turbo which I am considering. I guess the biggest frustration is that there is no date in site, It looks like it could be a couple more months so basically these posts will be going on and on. Also I am sure Android lollipop will be out before Cyan/Denim. So I guess to say if the phone can do these things then why don't they, it is just catch up from here...

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The icon works perfectly on 8.0, however few updated apps will run on 8.0 anymore. That's more an issue than the update in my opinion.

Starting to see fragmentation appear as things get updated for 8.1 -- worse is when they don't seem to need it (being 8.1 only) but probably got changed because the devs didn't realize it. Roku is one example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro