Official 8.1/Denim for the Icon?

fredd

Feb 15, 2008
Visit site
I find it odd when I hear people say they are having so much trouble with the DP 8.1 they have to go back to 8. Maybe Im just lucky or something . I just wonder if they have a bad phone. I havent found any reason at all to go back to 8. Just sayin

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I think a lot of it is perception. I'd not go back to 8.0 again even if someone paid me. :)

The Preview is the same code as official 8.1.1 so I doubt it'll be much different with Cyan/Denim on it. I just want to have the extra functionality that the new firmware provides, and if it fixes the issue I have with Wi-Fi and the battery drain when browsing Disqus and chatting (the two most battery intensive tasks by far on my icon) that's a bonus.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
All Denim is not equal. Different chipsets, different capabilities. The "Denim" we care about has basically nothing to do with anything other than the 1520/930/Icon, other than being an updated firmware released sometime around the end of 2014
It's Denim without the processor-specific features that Snapdragon 800 provides. That's all.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
My ICON is getting a small update now. Details only say it will make my phone run better. If it's Cyan, the roof will blow off this place.

Check to see if other phones are getting an update as well and post here.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
WTF ... a friend of mine said that the Verizon Lumia ICON "is still available" FROM MICROSOFT - and HAS BEEN for almost 2 months ... since, Verizon "RETIRED" the ICON???

BOTH ... "with a new 2 years agreement" for $99 - OR - "off contract" for $499 - almost 1/2 the price of an iPhone 6 Plus !!!

So, is this "Microsoft "merely clearing existing inventory" - OR - Microsoft "getting some BIG BALLS FINALLY" and standing up to Verizon ???

Buy Nokia Lumia Icon for Verizon - Microsoft Store

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I was at the Microsoft Store yesterday. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. However, this particular girl really didn't know what she was talking about. Some customer was inquiring about the 1520, the Icon, and the HTC. The sales associate said she owned the 1020, a fine phone for its time. She said the Icon was a 5 MP cameraphone. She said the 1520 and 1020 were the same except the 1520 was bigger. The guy asked about performance and she said they were all about the same speed but that if he wanted a great camera, get the 1020 because of the 41 MP, get the 1520 because of the large size, or get the Icon because it's durable. I'm like, "What???" The Icon reduced to a 5MP phone that's durable.

I felt like interrupting the conversation and correcting her but didn't. I hope he didn't walk out of the store with a 1020 thinking it's a modern flagship.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I think it interesting that MS is selling the ICON on line and look.. It says Windows 8.1 ready! That's a lie currently.

Isn't Microsoft also saying that "ALL Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgradable to Windows 10"?

That "rumor" + the very idea that Microsoft is "also rumored to be" creating Windows 8 OTA updates "with firmware"?

Of course, Microsoft has over $90 BILLION in the bank so "maybe" they can just "pay-off" Verizon like Netflix did!!!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I hope it fixes battery drain. My battery life took a significant hit after the previous update.

I had a battery drain problem happening a bit ago. The first soft re-set didn't fix it so I fiddled with some setting, it didn't help and decided to try another soft re-set before committing to a hard re-set, it fixed it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think it interesting that MS is selling the ICON on line and look.. It says Windows 8.1 ready! That's a lie currently.

Not sure how that is a "lie" it is ready for 8.1 when it's available..

Wow, this is taking forever, here we are the 8th of December all seemed solid rumors were all BS, as normal, as we would of had this a few weeks ago if they were true.

Same old news, waiting for a phone update from Verizon....this is so old, I would change carriers if Vzw didn't have such great coverage compared to the other vendors. Also, almost everyone I know (friends and family) are on VZW, so it would cost more from another carrier. And one of the biggest reasons, Unlimited LTE data...

S.c.r.e.w.e.d. anyway about it...

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how that is a "lie" it is ready for 8.1 when it's available..

I bought the Icon in February when it came out thinking that it was "8.1 ready." And that was confirmed when, not too many months later, the 930 was launched with 8.1 & Cyan. Yet here we are in December still waiting... It is abundantly clear that Verizon is to blame.

lylone

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from ATT to VZW so I am screwed on waiting for Cyan. If I would have known this would happened I would have stayed with ATT and picked up the 830 instead.
I have switched back and forth between 8.0 and 8.1DP and either I loose wifi often or this past weekend my ICON hung at the Verizon splash screen. No choice there but to use the recovery tool.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a battery drain problem happening a bit ago. The first soft re-set didn't fix it so I fiddled with some setting, it didn't help and decided to try another soft re-set before committing to a hard re-set, it fixed it.

I'd rather not do a hard reset. I had decent battery life. But I think when they updated the battery saver app in the previous update, it screwed up something.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Icon in February when it came out thinking that it was "8.1 ready." And that was confirmed when, not too many months later, the 930 was launched with 8.1 & Cyan. Yet here we are in December still waiting... It is abundantly clear that Verizon is to blame.

Congrats on your ambassadorship.

Sadly, attribution is immaterial at this point, 5 months after Cyan was released to carriers.
I recently switched from Verizon over to Cricket wireless. All five phones are Moto Gs.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Congrats on your ambassadorship.

Sadly, attribution is immaterial at this point, 5 months after Cyan was released to carriers.
I recently switched from Verizon over to Cricket wireless. All five phones are Moto Gs.

Thanks!

Attributing this mess to Verizon is worth something. Firstly, it's honest and fair that Microsoft not receive more blame than they are owed. Second, I firmly believe that if you love this platform, and switching to AT&T is an option, then it is worth it to switch to AT&T. I seriously think we're at that point. Verizon has shown so little support for WP that I think it's a worthy decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077